Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's Phone in - Man in Pub.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having been to visit family in the morning, we were running ahead of schedule and I was dropped off at the bottom of the hill at Withdean at about 14:15.

I was anticipating a record early arrival when I gave a mate a call and he was in The Sportsman - a pub neither of us frequent very often at all - as we generally drink in town before games.

After getting a pint in and a quick chat with some NSCers in residence, I found my mate and at about 14:45 we got another pint in. It went down very nicely indeed and I have to say that had it been pissing it down outside, we would very possibly have stayed where we are for the afternoon.

As it was, the sun was shining and I arrived at my seat characteristically late. The atmosphere was better than a number of other games of late - there must have been 2 or 3 songs in the D/E block area throughout the 90 minutes. Apart from a few moments (Benjamin turn that led to the penalty, Leon's footwork and Adam Virgo generally) - the quality of the football was not up to much though. Did either 'keeper actually make a save of note (other than the first penalty attempt!) at all? I can't remember.

I can't face a 300 mile round trip for Plymouth, especially as it will be there and back in one day meaning I won't even be able to rely on alcohol to dampen by senses. So the pub it will be.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
ChutneyStirrer said:
I didn't go on Saturday. After a full-house with cracking atmosphere at QPR last week I couldn't stomach another grim afternoon of the Withdean 'experience' so I sold my ticket to a mate and went to London to see some friends..... nothing wrong with taking a break once in a while..... I will be back for the Plymouth game, though.

Fair enough. But did you phone up a radio station to anounce this to the world? no.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
For the MILLIONTH time.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f*** sake.

*ah hem* YES IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!! f*** sake.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ChutneyStirrer said:
I didn't go on Saturday. After a full-house with cracking atmosphere at QPR last week I couldn't stomach another grim afternoon of the Withdean 'experience' so I sold my ticket to a mate

I'm sorry I just don't believe what I am reading here.

You sold your ticket to a mate?

Absolute bollocks - as the NSC Ticket Exchange shows - there is no-one left alive who is prepared to pay cold hard cash for an Albion ticket!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
For the MILLIONTH time.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f*** sake.

Thank you Smurf. You beat me to it.

For goodness sake, Lammy. The bloke didn't call up SCR to proudly announce that he'd gone to watch Chelsea, he was making the point that the BHA experience was a bit crap at the moment and he gave it a miss on that occasion. He certainly wasn't proud of the fact, and what he was getting at was that he wished things would improve a bit.

As for your Falmer concerns, as Chappers points out, it makes no difference WHATSOEVER. We need a ground, whether we're getting 7,000 or 2,000. We don't have ground, we need one. It really is that simple.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Sorry for a moment there I thought it was up to Mr Prescott?

Who may be influenced by any number of reasons?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The point has been made thousands of times that the crowds at the moment have absolutely NO BEARING on the Falmer decision.

As a fan who actually cared anough to go on Saturday i thought you would have known this?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The point has been made thousands of times that the crowds at the moment have absolutely NO BEARING on the Falmer decision.

As a fan who actually cared anough to go on Saturday i thought you would have known this?

We're getting away from the point here! But I can't be arsed anymore. I'm off down the pub.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I can't believe that Two Jags would turn down Falmer because we're about 300 people down on our average attendance from the 2001/2002 season.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
mona said:
Every unsold seat is a loss of vital revenue for the Albion. The club can't invest in the team if average gates drop to barely 6000.

Hark! A voice of reason!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
I can't believe that Two Jags would turn down Falmer because we're about 300 people down on our average attendance from the 2001/2002 season.

There were over 1000 empty seats last week.

BUT THIS IS NOT THE POINT.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Most of these people not going are people who already have tickets, therefore the only lost revenue is that of The Sportsman and the burger vans.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
In fact I think I will re-state my point so that we can get back to it. My point is;

I don't like the attitude that if the atmosphere/standard of football is poor then I won't bother anymore.

Fans create the atmosphere (yes the stadium helps but I've been to away games with no roof and a decent atmosphere). And a good atmosphere helps the team! Giving up and not bothering gives you no right to phone up a radio staion and complain about the above!

OK!

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Why is there a hardcore of fans (who mainly post on here) who are determined to keep having a go at anyone and everyone who expresses a little disillusion in the club at the moment.

Why do they keep acting like the PRs for club and trying to force everyone to stay 'on-message'?

What is the big problem if someone who admitted to being a supporter for 37 years, had a ticket for the game, then decided not to go because he didn't feel like it, for reasons of disillusionment or otherwise?

I'm a season ticket holder and I have to travel from North London to each home game - and sometimes I don't feel like putting myself through a train journey down to Brighton and back, driving to over to the Withdean, etc, especially when the football has been as bad as it has been recently.

It's particularly worrying as I had no problem driving to Gillingham and the football was really bad then, but don't start harking back to Archer and Bellotti and especially Falmer everytime someone makes a genuine criticism of the club at the moment.

I think the disillusionment is the fact that Zamora gone for £1.5 million, Coppell leaving us and Withdean being awful. It just isn't exciting, but saying that doesn't make me any less of a supporter than any of you Seagull Fundamentalists.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
This bloke hadn't had to travel anywhere, and I get the distinct impression he had travelled to the pub before the game. Got compfy and decided not to bother. Fair enough.

But don't come on the radio and say you're not going because the football has never been this bad in 37years! It's simply not true.

Everyone has the right to do what they want. Even support Palace if you're that way inclined. What you don't have the right to do is air your views on the radio and expect everyone to agree with you. I'm dissagreeing with the bloke on the radio. that's all. This is a message board for airing your views. AS you have read there are a number of people on here that disagree with me. This is fine. we then talk about it.

It's called a message board.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely there's more to the day than simply the quality of Albion's football?

For me if I stay at home I miss a couple of hours in the pub beforehand with anywhere between 3 - 9 mates who are also going to the game, I miss the match itself and the release of going to the footie and calling the ref a ****.

Most of the enjoyment whilst at the Withdean is derived from taking the piss out of the opposition, the officials, twats in the crowd etc, if it's a decent match that's the cherry on the cake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here