Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I Am Legend

Latest Will Smith blockbuster set in an apocolyptic 2012 where the worlds population has been wiped out by a deadly virus. Some truley startling imagary of a silent, deserted, weed-strewn New York that Smith's character live in, barrelling round the streets in his car hunting wild deer, and working his way through his local Blockbusters film stock from A-Z (but only borrowing one DVD at a time, and returning each one after he's watched it). Night-time brings out the remains of the infected population who survived the virus, but turned them into monstrous, hairless, violently psychotic freaks who thirst for blood and who can run like the clappers (think Danny Cullip but with a turn of pace).

Enjoyable enough hocum, and as usual an excellent performance from Smith. It runs at a trim (these days) 100 minutes, but I was left slightly disappointed that the outbreak of the virus and subsequent end of the world as we know it was only dealt with in brief nightmare flashbacks as Smiths character dreams them.
Good fun though. Did what it said on the tin.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem

Pretty gash really, although had a few entertaing sequences and not as bad as the first one (not saying a lot). At only 94 mins at least I felt I hadn't wasted too much of my life. I've got one of these cineworld unlimited cards though, so if I'd paid the full £6.50 or whatever prob would have been pissed off.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

Have to say i'm not massively convinced. Abrams is taking a big risk here, relying predominantly on fan/geek heresay to publicise and promote this FX heavy spectacle. Think it would have benefitted from a more main stream approach in a marketing sense.

Personally I'm annoyed enough by Lost's inability to go anywhere tangible and at such a slow pace that this offering will have to be pretty damn groundbreaking to woo me. Think Godzilla with less well known people and all shot on digital cameras to enhance that "student art house" approach.

DVD interest only for me I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No Country for Old Men.

Almost the Coen's back to their best.
I'm a big fan and it was great to see a properly cast and shot film. I loved the look and the script but it did hark back to Fargo, a little too much for my liking.
But I guess I can't have it both ways.

(Apparantly the end is the same as the book, not that I've read it)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No Country for Old Men.

Almost the Coen's back to their best.
I'm a big fan and it was great to see a properly cast and shot film. I loved the look and the script but it did hark back to Fargo, a little too much for my liking.
But I guess I can't have it both ways.

(Apparantly the end is the same as the book, not that I've read it)
The ending did make me wonder if the writer had dropped dead at his typewriter. I thought my DVD had skipped !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It wasn't a particularly good copy either. It had a clock timer in the corner that was blurred out. Usually I'm very fussy with copies - if its not perfect I'll normally wait for it to come out properly. But this film was SO good I couldn't switch it off.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I REFUSE to watch Pirate copies as I like to watch the film at the Cinema on a big screen where it was intended and not a grainy dark copy with a shaky mobile phone and people going to the bog.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I won't watch handheld camera jobbies either. They are (without exception) utter gash.
The ones I normally watch have been downloaded from somewhere or other, burnt onto a disk, and are of genuine DVD quality (complete with 5.1 surround sound intact). Usually get 2 or 3 films to one disk as well.

Qualla.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
It wasn't a particularly good copy either. It had a clock timer in the corner that was blurred out. Usually I'm very fussy with copies - if its not perfect I'll normally wait for it to come out properly. But this film was SO good I couldn't switch it off.

I'd be very careful what you say on here. :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh yes. Umm. I was watching it round a FRIENDS house obviously.
I only ever buy bona-fide originals.

Ahem.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
An Oliver! type Musical not the dire shower that I saw

Err the subject material doesnt really lend itself to that sort of musical does it really!!

I can see it now...Consdier your throat cut, consider yourself dead like your familyyyy

Actually that could work

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But it must have been obvious that with Tim Burton at the helm it wasn't going to be all cockney well wishing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here