Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Anthem

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Both would stir the emotions more than singing about some town in the middle east.

Look at the title of Rule Britannia to see if you can spot the fundamental flaw in having it as the English national anthem.

I also assume you don't know Blake's poem well enough to appreciate the context under which he is mentioning Jerusalem. If you don't know - it's a metaphor.

i make a point of sitting down whenver that dirge is played.

I don't want a queen to rule over me

I don't want God to save her

I'm fairly ambivalent about her living long

I don't think she is noble.

I'm not fussed about victory

and basically all national anathems are outdated old fashioned nationalistic and divisive clap trap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Getting back on topic, we have:-

- Players proudly singing anthems
- Referee's respected
- Miked up so everyone knows what's going on
- No diving/cheating

Anything else. Surely the football authorities must be looking on, amazed.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

- Referee's respected
- No diving/cheating

Players respecting other players
Fans respecting other fans (although this I believe is because you are a fan of the sport, it just so happens your nation is playing it it - much like motorsport)
Referees that ask for touch judges opinions
TV decisions for questionable tries

and teams beating teams who achive the objective of the game.

Rugy Union is apoxy wast of space as it allows teams to win without scoring tries.

In football, that would be like winning on corners.

Sorry, not my idea of a fair game at all.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

- Referee's respected
- No diving/cheating

Never, ever any need for segregated stadia; terracing not frowned upon.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Players respecting other players
Fans respecting other fans (although this I believe is because you are a fan of the sport, it just so happens your nation is playing it it - much like motorsport)
Referees that ask for touch judges opinions
TV decisions for questionable tries

and let's not forget the homoeroticism of the players and fans. What other sport would you get 15 team members dipping their knobs in a pint of sick before drinking it through a tampon?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that GSTQ is essentially a British song, rather than an English song, but it is better than the alternatives of Jerusalem (basically a hymn) and Land Of Hope And Glory (also hymn-like).

I don't think there is anything already out there that does the job, and I quite like GSTQ. It is a tune and a statement that you can really get behind, it doesn't go on and on like other anthems (Italy, Wales spring to mind).

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I agree that GSTQ is essentially a British song, rather than an English song, but it is better than the alternatives of Jerusalem (basically a hymn) and Land Of Hope And Glory (also hymn-like).

I don't think there is anything already out there that does the job, and I quite like GSTQ. It is a tune and a statement that you can really get behind, it doesn't go on and on like other anthems (Italy, Wales spring to mind).
Or RSA's in three languages. I think it's RSA's anyway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God Save our Queen

What a pile of sycophantic crap. I don't particularly have an issue with the Queen per se, I do work for her after all (and work half an hour of my day, free, on her behalf), but I can't stand that as a national anthem. I find it utterly cringe-worthy that in 2007, we are expected to sing a song that would have sounded dated in 1955, such is the grovelling, we-are-not-worthy nature of the song.

The fact that half the England footballers do not sing it before games, is sadly, I fear, not so much of a noble political protest against the song, but more down to the fact that they either don't know the words, are embarrassed about their singing voices, or can't be bothered.

But it doesn't break my heart when they don't make the effort. Look at all the great national anthems around the world, look at the passion they generate in their fans/teams:

-La Marseillaise
-Deutschland Uber Alles
-the Star Spangled Banner
-Advance Australia Fair
-even God Bless New Zealand (with two verses, in Maori and English, no less, of which many players can sing both) is better.

And what do we get? A total dirge. A British dirge, no less. Time for a change.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was engaged to an Aussie and almost all of the Aussies I spoke to about this thought Advance Australia Fair was shite. Most thought GSTQ was better.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I suppose 'Jerusalem' could possibly be considered partially hymn-like, although only the first three lines make any reference to divinity or deity.

I can't see how Land of Hope & Glory can be seen as hymn-like though. In fact, it was written about the glorification of the expansion of the British Empire, which in itself, ought to knocks itself out as a contender for an English national anthem.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It is a tune and a statement that you can really get behind, it doesn't go on and on like other anthems (Italy, Wales spring to mind).

personally I dont agree with that. The tunes shit, the lyrics I dont agree with or want to sing and I have never heard a worse "national" anthem than ours

IMO

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is so bad about the Queen and the Royal Family? The notion of President Blair is both frightening and depressing in equal measure. Then what the f*** would we sing?

A real lack of viable alternatives coming through on this thread from all those anti-royalists.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What is so bad about the Queen and the Royal Family? The notion of President Blair is both frightening and depressing in equal measure. Then what the f*** would we sing?

A real lack of viable alternatives coming through on this thread from all those anti-royalists.

I guess it boils down to having the right to elect somebody to be head of state, opposed to somebody having that role via being born into the ruling family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here