Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Just finished Nicholas Nickleby, and I have to say I really enjoyed this.
Came across this passage in the book which given when the book was written, I thought echoed down the ages.

"one gentlemen in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that for his purpose it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.
The meaning the that term - gammon,' said Mr Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of my remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gironimo! - Tim Moore

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just finished The World we Leave Behind. Really interesting for 90% of the way but thought the ending was weak.

Just started Night Train to Lisbon about a middle-aged classics teacher who leaves his job and his flat to go to Lisbon, because he met some Portuguese bint on a bridge. I've only done two chapters but I'm intrigued

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just finished The World we Leave Behind. Really interesting for 90% of the way but thought the ending was weak.

Just started Night Train to Lisbon about a middle-aged classics teacher who leaves his job and his flat to go to Lisbon, because he met some Portuguese bint on a bridge. I've only done two chapters but I'm intrigued

Not read the book but the film was very good with Jeremy Irons

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Sedated: How Modern Capitalism Created Our Mental Health Crisis
James Davies (2021)

Nothing too revelatory for anyone paying real attention but very well set out and written. Read it (if you like).

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I Follow You - Peter James

Set in Jersey, and not featuring Roy Grace, this book is giving me the creeps and I'm only 80 odd pages in.
Peter James messes with your head.
If you've ever had a stalker, I'd give this a swerve

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Finished this one a few weeks ago....

51JzULallhL.jpg

And currently reading this one....

51iYF5XasRL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Damien Lewis tells of some extraordinary true life stories from the archives of the SAS & SOE in his books, and pulls them all together into a quite remarkable (and sometimes uncomfortable) read. Some of the best books I've read for a long time.

Thoroughly recommend for anyone interested in the Second World War.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In Xanadu a Quest - William Dalrymple

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
"Winged Victory" by V.M.Yeats, it's a semi-autobiographical account of life in the Royal Flying Corp/R.A.F. in 1918 set during the German Spring Offensive, a fascinating and tragic read.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Just finished 'The White Ship' by Charles Spencer - fascinating history of the events leading to the reign of Henry 1 and the aftermath of the sinking of one ship and its consequences for British history and the ruling family.

(didnt realise it was written by Diana's brother until i had finished).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Italian Neighbours - Tim Parks

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Samuel Pepys' Diary

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Continental Drifter - Tim Moore

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only read one of his books, which was A Season With Verona, where he followed Hellas Verona for a season and documents the life of the club and amongst the small, fanatical support.

Excellent book which I enjoyed

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Daylight - David Baldacci

Only a few pages in but as fabulous as usual

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here