Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My current read - another extraordinary true life story from the the 2nd World War era.

0241408504.jpg

The incredible story of the greatest female spy in history, from one of Britain's most acclaimed historians

In a quiet English village in 1942, an elegant housewife emerged from her cottage to go on her usual bike ride. A devoted wife and mother-of-three, the woman known to her neighbours as Mrs Burton seemed to epitomise rural British domesticity.

However, rather than pedalling towards the shops with her ration book, she was racing through the Oxfordshire countryside to gather scientific intelligence from one of the country's most brilliant nuclear physicists. Secrets that she would transmit to Soviet intelligence headquarters via the radio transmitter she was hiding in her outdoor privy.

Far from a British housewife, 'Mrs Burton' - born Ursula Kuczynski, and codenamed 'Sonya' - was a German Jew, a dedicated communist, a colonel in Russia's Red Army, and a highly-trained spy. From planning an assassination attempt on Hitler in Switzerland, to spying on the Japanese in Manchuria, and helping the Soviet Union build the atom bomb, Sonya conducted some of the most dangerous espionage operations of the twentieth century. Her story has never been told - until now.

Agent Sonya is the exhilarating account of one woman's life; a life that encompasses the rise and fall of communism itself, and altered the course of history.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just finished Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. Harrowing but rewarding. A modern classic

Had two fails at that one so far, fell at the first fence both times (a few pages into chapter one). I know it’s well written, I guess the subject matter just isnae for me.

Conversely, 450 pages into 700 pager 2015 Booker shortlisted A Little Life by Hanya Yanaghara and I’m looking at a clear round; a harrowing read at times, great writing and she penned it in less than 18 months, incredible output for such a weighty tome. About the lives of four male friends living in NYC.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Had two fails at that one so far, fell at the first fence both times (a few pages into chapter one). I know it’s well written, I guess the subject matter just isnae for me.

Conversely, 450 pages into 700 pager 2015 Booker shortlisted A Little Life by Hanya Yanaghara and I’m looking at a clear round; a harrowing read at times, great writing and she penned it in less than 18 months, incredible output for such a weighty tome. About the lives of four male friends living in NYC.

I read 'A Little Life' last year. I enjoyed it but I did have some issues with it. I won't specify of course, but give me a shout when you're done if you fancy having a book club type discussion about it :thumbsup:

It is a truly incredible piece of writing though.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Double Cross by Ben Macintyre - all about the D-Day spies that convinced the Germans the invasion would take place at the Pas de Calais. Very interesting. Would recommend his others as well, Agent ZigZag and Operation Mincemeat.

After 'The Man Who Never Was', Operation Mincemeat looks promising with a great cast......Firth, MacDonald, MacFayden, Wilton, Flynn.

Let's 'ave it.

https://variety.com/2021/film/global/colin-firth-kelly-macdonald-operation-mincemeat-1234980114/

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just started, somewhat belatedly, "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole....it looks like a book that I should've read years ago!!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
my b f .jpg

Book 1 of the Neapolitan Quartet. Half way through and it is utterly captivating.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
book 2 .jpg

Onto Book 2 of this quartet.
I can't quite work out why these book are so sublime. Not that it matters - I am enjoying them immensely.
Have a gander if you fancy a 'raw exploration of female friendship and ambition, emotional violence and the enduring scars of the second world war on Italian society'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Under A Croatian Sun - Anthony Stancomb

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Chip Shop In Poznan (My Unlikely Year In Poland) - Ben Aitken

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Two Brothers - Ben Elton

A mate recommended Ben Elton to me as an author, but had he not actually lent me a book, I very much doubt I would have read it.
I have almost forgotten what an annoying **** Ben Elton can be, because he's a pretty damn good writer.
I may even read another

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stardust - Joseph Kanon

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just finished The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker - an excellent read, the Iliad told from Briseis's point of view.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I read 'A Little Life' last year. I enjoyed it but I did have some issues with it. I won't specify of course, but give me a shout when you're done if you fancy having a book club type discussion about it :thumbsup:

It is a truly incredible piece of writing though.

All done, BB, hit me with it :)

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Memoirs of a London boy in the 50’s and 60’s. I have just had this book handed to me by a friend, he said it was fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here