Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
No he wasnt rated, our manager at the time Paul Hart had him on the bench a few times to make up the numbers.
We lost a very good player in Victor Moses to Wigan, for a relative low fee, and our manager Neil Warnock left to go to QPR.
We didnt own Selhurst at that time, when Parish brought the Club out of administration in 2010, he brought Selhurst as well, due largely to fan protests and actions.

Ah yes, Ron Noades owned the ground otherwise you would have lost Selhurst. I thought he still did own it but obviously not. I never quite understood why Noades was unpopular with a section of palace support. If it wasnt for him then you might have ground shared at Gillingham too! He also dug you out of a mess when he took over in the early 80s and brought yourWright/Bright glory years. Football fans, no pleasing some people. I heard on Radio Sussex that "Bloom had taken us as far as he can". Now yo never know might have been a spoof/joke but even so. As for Zaha, I'm pretty sure that Zaha was rated as it's my firm memory that I was astounded that he didnt go as a part of the receivership, but I suppose if he had value then the receivers would had sold him. Albion's experience tho really was a million miles from palace, pompey and Leicester. Still it's all relative, Wimbledon, Bury and Darlington all had it even worse. I personally wouldnt swap (with hindsight) the Albion's "civil war years" for even winning the FA Cup.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
It’s why the huge majority of football fans don’t see the likes of Palace and MK Dons as real football clubs - so any ‘achievement’ on the pitch is void. Saw a poll that suggested 89% of season ticket holders at football clubs consider CPFC2010 and MK Dons as cheats and irrelevant - 67% said they should be cut from the football league - fascinating stuff.

I’d love to see said poll , seems very surprising to me them figures.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Ah yes, Ron Noades owned the ground otherwise you would have lost Selhurst. I thought he still did own it but obviously not. I never quite understood why Noades was unpopular with a section of palace support. If it wasnt for him then you might have ground shared at Gillingham too! He also dug you out of a mess when he took over in the early 80s and brought yourWright/Bright glory years. Football fans, no pleasing some people. I heard on Radio Sussex that "Bloom had taken us as far as he can". Now yo never know might have been a spoof/joke but even so. As for Zaha, I'm pretty sure that Zaha was rated as it's my firm memory that I was astounded that he didnt go as a part of the receivership, but I suppose if he had value then the receivers would had sold him. Albion's experience tho really was a million miles from palace, pompey and Leicester. Still it's all relative, Wimbledon, Bury and Darlington all had it even worse. I personally wouldnt swap (with hindsight) the Albion's "civil war years" for even winning the FA Cup.

Simon Jordan made a big announcement that he managed to have brought Selhurst Park from Altonwood ( Ron Noades) but in fact, he used a company owned by Paul Kemsley to do the deal.
Jordan was losing money hand over fist, and couldn’t afford to pay back Kemsleys company to actually re unite the club and ground.
Zaha was about 17 at the time,had potential, but was still learning about playing pro football.
His value would have been minimal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would have thought out of the 50 odd clubs that have been in administration Leicester are really the only club that really did cheat and a couple of years later won the title...

Leicester went into administration in 2002, and won the title in 2016 so it was a bit more than a couple of years.

However, it was one of the biggest examples of cheating in recent football history. They were relegated from the PL in 2001, went into administration, somehow retained all their players, and went straight back up in 2002 despite (in theory) not being able to afford that squad in the 2nd tier. They gambled though, it paid off, they went up in 2nd place behind bloody Portsmouth (and look how THAT turned out). They did the double over BHA that season too, collecting 6 points off us - whilst we were relegated that season, 5 points from safety. Into the bargain they also got a brand new stadium, for which they paid 2p in the £ for. So fair to say, I didn't quite fully enrol in the big love-in when they won the Title.

Many years later I actually got into quite a heated row with a Leicester fan in an Indian restaurant one night, when our initial "bants" turned more and more barbed as I continued to point out what a bunch of filthy cheating shysters his club had been back then. Didn't put me off my balti though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Leicester went into administration in 2002, and won the title in 2016 so it was a bit more than a couple of years.

However, it was one of the biggest examples of cheating in recent football history. They were relegated from the PL in 2001, went into administration, somehow retained all their players, and went straight back up in 2002 despite (in theory) not being able to afford that squad in the 2nd tier. They gambled though, it paid off, they went up in 2nd place behind bloody Portsmouth (and look how THAT turned out). They did the double over BHA that season too, collecting 6 points off us - whilst we were relegated that season, 5 points from safety. Into the bargain they also got a brand new stadium, for which they paid 2p in the £ for. So fair to say, I didn't quite fully enrol in the big love-in when they won the Title.

Many years later I actually got into quite a heated row with a Leicester fan in an Indian restaurant one night, when our initial "bants" turned more and more barbed as I continued to point out what a bunch of filthy cheating shysters his club had been back then. Didn't put me off my balti though.

Then, of course they broke FFP to go back up to the prem (cheating) and won the league 2 seasons later or so. At least they didn’t do it twice though, that’s just the ultimate piss take. So glad my club have morals. Recent poll I saw at wheredoesmyclubrank.com had BHA in the top 5% of clubs with morals as it goes.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Talking off getting a life,what's your view of a person who has posted over 5000 times on a fans forum for another club?

Doesn't bother me tbf, seeing what some of our "fans" post sometime its quite refreshing arguing with opposing fans rather than our own fans, I don't get the unnecessary and undeserved vitriol

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Seem a few of our posters are a bit tied and irritable this morning, seems like a completely reasonable post to me, on a thread about a Palace player, some sad people need to get a life I think

You are taken in by one seemingly reasonable post by a guy who had trolled this board for a long time. Even pretending to be a female at one stage. Well over 5k posts on a rivals board and in the main coming on here when Palace are doing ok.

On here Monday mornings, Saturday nights because even Palace fans think he's a cock.

Bloke's a sad troll but you crack on.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
100%. The vitriol on here is quite staggering where Dougie is concerned, never understood or related to it, as much as I cant stand Palace, as he/she is always a reasonable poster, from what I’ve read anyway.

You obviously haven't seen the pathetic trolling from this idiot. Plenty of Palace posters on here who contribute well. Even you don't know if it is a he or she.

If you have the time, research it's posts. Personally I wouldn't bother, just take our word for it... Palace beat us, it is here trolling. We win, you don't see the turd for months.

It can't have any friends which is why it reaches for NSC at a pathetically alarmingly high rate.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Deli Ali is now equal with Mr Tumble as the most cautioned Premier League player for simulation.

C’mon Wilf, you can’t let him take your title away, not after you’ve worked so hard for it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Deli Ali is now equal with Mr Tumble as the most cautioned Premier League player for simulation.

C’mon Wilf, you can’t let him take your title away, not after you’ve worked so hard for it.

But being booked for it shows you've been caught. A clumsy fool like Alli will never be in the same cheating class as Zaha. He's not perfected the scream of agony, the run into contact and jerk a limb backwards, the look of incredulity when not given designed to get the next decision

Alli is just a numbers merchant. Zaha is wold class. A man for whom cheating is a lifelong passion

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He has very valid points about racism and BLM and then he is back to begging for any other club https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56117084

Agreed, I see little to disagree with there. Despite what commentators tediously roll off at the start of every game about "raising awareness" etc, the constant taking off the knee hasn't done anything tangible to affect anything - which some clubs and players are now increasingly acknowledging. Its about as effective as wearing a "Kick It Out" t-shirt. Its an image to promote the notion that something is being done, when the reality is, the impact now after 6 months of it is minimal. Its background. Its wallpaper.

As for the SEGW's career though, its interesting that he is now openly acknowledging that the 5 year deal he signed back in 2018 was a horrendous mistake. Not for his bank balance obvs, but in terms of maximising his talents on a bigger stage and having a chance of winning things. Its been a millstone. In effect he's done a Terry Waite and ended up manacled to a manky, rusty old radiator, wasting the best years of his life there.

Hopefully other young talents can look out how its all panned out for Zaha and view it as a cautionary tale.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Agreed, I see little to disagree with there. Despite what commentators tediously roll off at the start of every game about "raising awareness" etc, the constant taking off the knee hasn't done anything tangible to affect anything - which some clubs and players are now increasingly acknowledging. Its about as effective as wearing a "Kick It Out" t-shirt. Its an image to promote the notion that something is being done, when the reality is, the impact now after 6 months of it is minimal. Its background. Its wallpaper.

As for the SEGW's career though, its interesting that he is now openly acknowledging that the 5 year deal he signed back in 2018 was a horrendous mistake. Not for his bank balance obvs, but in terms of maximising his talents on a bigger stage and having a chance of winning things. Its been a millstone. In effect he's done a Terry Waite and ended up manacled to a manky, rusty old radiator, wasting the best years of his life there.

Hopefully other young talents can look out how its all panned out for Zaha and view it as a cautionary tale.

'manacled to a manky, rusty old radiator '

Utter genius - cap doffed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here