Your Worst Albion Away Day

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Ignoring the blindingly obvious palace 5-0, it would be Plymouth away from a few years back.

5-1 defeat.
Terrible refereeing decisions.
Typically crappy journey down there and a very long journey back.

I had a great day that day. Walked out at 4-1, pub near the station and spend the afternoon on the piss with some Argyle fans I sort of knew from England games.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
That was a shocker. Wasn't that one of the games that Mahoney-Johnston played for the Albion? One of the worst players I've ever seen play for us. But it wasn't an away game.

Indeed it was. Christ, he was awful!

I suppose technically it wasn't an away game, but every home game at Gillingham felt like one!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
spurs away in the facup. Got a bottle on the head at victoria station on the way home and was detained in police cell til 4am. Had to walk from some police station in london to nearest station no trains til 6 cost me nearly 100 quid in a cab to get back to brighton

bha189

Aug 31, 2010
Obviously Palace, 5-0

Couldn't see much because of the riot police, standing in front looking intimidating.

Also, Nottingham Forest away one season, 0-0 midweek game I think night.

Missed train home, and only one left was to Derby!:facepalm:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Kingstonian away in cup. Woke up, dog I had had for 17 years died. Lost game and got so pissed, fell asleep on last train out of Charing Cross and woke up at Dover Priory at about 1.30am. Had 45p in my pocket, it was freezing cold, only had an Albion t-shirt on which some stripper had, had between her legs in The Sir Robert Peel earlier in day. Had to be at work by 6.30 that morning and first train out was the mail train at 6ish.

bha189

Aug 31, 2010
Luton as well, midweek night.

lost 3-0 I think awful. One of the worst footballing displays in that awful ground.
Absolutley freezing. Bimbo's doing the food cocked up, and I remember trudging through luton town centre covered in Snow and ice. Hauntingly cold.

1) Losing 5-0 away at Palace. Then being locked in and hemmed in outside by riot Police as well. Was one of the few games my ex came too. In fact, had she not been with us, looking terrified, we wouldn't have been let past the line of riot police. She still talks about it today and swears she would never touch a Palace fan.

2) Leyton Orient away about 10-12 years ago? The one and only time we went on Liz Costa's love bus. Poor game (think it was FA Cup rather than league), then we got back onto the bus to go home and got given a load of abuse for 'sitting in someone elses seat'. Refused to move and listened to sniping comments all the way home.

3) Nottingham Forest midweek away (around 2002?). Rushed off straight from work, got stuck in a massive traffic jam getting into Nottingham and ended up missing the start of the match. Heard their first goal go in as we were still running up the road. We lost, stopped in at a pub on the way out of Nottingham and didn't get home until the early hours. Come to think of it another game my ex came to. Maybe her leaving me back in January explains the recent upturn in Albion's fortunes? We got together about 8 years ago... hmmm.

4) Northampton away, Friday night match. Couldn't get into the away end so ended up seated in the Northampton family section complete with mascot dancing around in front of us. And Marco Gabbiadini scored against us, we lost. Never been so pleased to get away from a match, in fact I think I managed to get from Northampton to Crawley in less than an hour. Was home before 11pm, and we had to queue to get out of Northampton.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
My top- err - I mean bottom three are:-

1) That 5-1 Pompey defeat mentioned by others. When we had Willie Young on loan in defence. He was completely and utterly shite.

2) 2-1 defeat at Tranmere last season. We were just SO BAD. I was so shocked about how bad we played, the incompetence about giving that second goal away after Virgo did an overhead kick on the touch line to stop a throw in which went to one of their forwards. Murray doing a needless handball and getting sent off. ANGRIEST I've ever been at an Albion Game (and there's been a few times I can tell you..)

3) 3-0 away defeat at Rochdale in 1996-7. I was just SO depressed after that game. Sat in a pub in Rochdale getting drunker and drunker & more and more down;convinced we were out of the League and the club would die because of Belotti & Archer. Absolutely inconsolable, none of my mates could cheer me up. Ashley Neal played that night. Well, appeared on the pitch in an Albion shirt. "Played " would be pushing it a bit.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
1) Losing 5-0 away at Palace. Then being locked in and hemmed in outside by riot Police as well. Was one of the few games my ex came too. In fact, had she not been with us, looking terrified, we wouldn't have been let past the line of riot police. She still talks about it today and swears she would never touch a Palace fan.

2) Leyton Orient away about 10-12 years ago? The one and only time we went on Liz Costa's love bus. Poor game (think it was FA Cup rather than league), then we got back onto the bus to go home and got given a load of abuse for 'sitting in someone elses seat'. Refused to move and listened to sniping comments all the way home.

3) Nottingham Forest midweek away (around 2002?). Rushed off straight from work, got stuck in a massive traffic jam getting into Nottingham and ended up missing the start of the match. Heard their first goal go in as we were still running up the road. We lost, stopped in at a pub on the way out of Nottingham and didn't get home until the early hours. Come to think of it another game my ex came to. Maybe her leaving me back in January explains the recent upturn in Albion's fortunes? We got together about 8 years ago... hmmm.

4) Northampton away, Friday night match. Couldn't get into the away end so ended up seated in the Northampton family section complete with mascot dancing around in front of us. And Marco Gabbiadini scored against us, we lost. Never been so pleased to get away from a match, in fact I think I managed to get from Northampton to Crawley in less than an hour. Was home before 11pm, and we had to queue to get out of Northampton.

great shout

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Sudbury in the cup in 1996 for me. An abject 0-0 draw against a Jewsons League side, standing in a roped off grass bank. The game was on a sunday but the backwater we were in hadnt discovered sunday opening yet, so nowhere to go for lunch. Still, made up for it in the replay by losing penalties. Also had to report a fellow Albion fan for racist comments to George Parris. A sad day all round

Sudbury was a Saturday FACT

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That must have been the 31st August 2001. I planned my wedding so as not to clash with an Albion game for that day but didn't notice it was an international weekend. Still, I suspect the England result on the Saturday made up for any disappointment for the Albion defeat!!!!

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Sudbury was a Saturday FACT

Indeed it was-but it's a point of no relevance. I remember the game and how evenly matched the teams seemed. I remember the replay too. Sudbury should have won in normal time. Only Stuart Storer looked any better than the non-league boys that night.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
That 6-1 defeat on the plastic at Oldham was a low point. Freezing cold and at the time , for reasons no-one could quite fathom , there was always trouble between Oldham and Albion fans. We came out of the away end to find about 30 Kevin Websters waiting for a ruck. Had to take a huge detour on what was already a trek back to Oldham Werneth station to avoid them.

Apart from that the trip to Ipswich where the train broke down at Manningtree twice and we missed the game wasn't great.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
That 6-1 defeat on the plastic at Oldham was a low point. Freezing cold and at the time , for reasons no-one could quite fathom , there was always trouble between Oldham and Albion fans. We came out of the away end to find about 30 Kevin Websters waiting for a ruck. Had to take a huge detour on what was already a trek back to Oldham Werneth station to avoid them.

Apart from that the trip to Ipswich where the train broke down at Manningtree twice and we missed the game wasn't great.
Are you sure that was not the cup game which we lost 2-1 ?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

I left the Oldham game when they scored their 4th goal and as for the train breaking down about a mile South of Manningtree:lolol: they were kind enough to keep the buffet bar open all afternoon for liquid refreshments.:drink:

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I left the Oldham game when they scored their 4th goal and as for the train breaking down about a mile South of Manningtree:lolol: they were kind enough to keep the buffet bar open all afternoon for liquid refreshments.:drink:

I was a mere strip of a lad in those days Jim. Seem to remember all sorts of shenanigans on and off the train though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports