Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your worse awayday with the Albion..

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah the 5-0 of course.

However.... two from the grim era in the 90s spring to mind.

1992 A ridiculously long and delayed drive to watch us play Bristol Rovers when they played at Bath. Arrived half an hour into the game and we were already 3-0 down.

1997 The journey from hell on a bank holiday Friday to watch us at Scarborough. From memory around 12 hours to get there but unlike [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] at least I made the kick off. I think he got there at half time.
They won from a ridiculous goal after Ormorod was fouled and lying injured in the penalty area. Ref just waved play on.
Shit day, shitty ground at the end of a massively shit estate at the arse end of Scarborough. It was a long drive home.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Palace is the worst but a couple of others stick out.

A 1-0 defeat to Scunthorpe towards the end of the 1996/97 season. I think there were cheap coaches put on by the supporters club so we had loads of fans there but it took forever to get there and the town is an absolute dump. It really did feel like we’d go down at that point.

At one of the 4-0 defeats at Brentford in the early 2000s, a couple of mates and me got lost after the game and ended up getting started on by about 20 Brentford fans despite the fact we were in our early teens. Not an enjoyable evening.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Listening on the radio was bad enough. But at least I could turn that off.

I was lucky. I was in a club in Melbourne at the time with another Brighton fan. The text messages were depressing but I was too far gone to really care.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Away at Oldham. Late 1980s. Long journey by train. No roof. Freezing cold. Windy. View over infinite miles of Pennines. Large black cloud coming straight at us. No escape..... Drenched.

I don't recall the score, but we were stuffed.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Chester 1997. Just when I thought we were going to finally get some away points in that season - we threw them away.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Difficult to choose between Palace 5-0, Westham 6 - something and Forest in the cup - I was one of those stuck on the train that never got there.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Last time we went down to Pompey, there was a Pompey inbred came lto the end of the big main stand and started homophobicly goading us behind the away goal.
We were strolling it on the park, and all in a good mood, so the chant went up from what seems like the whole end "You're too ugly to be gay"....neandertall went berserk, and was practically foaming at the mouth. Our end broke into spontaneous laughter which made him worse, and then the decent folk of Pompey (both of them) joined in the chorus of laughter. Oh we did laugh.....almost as much as going 1 up at Leeds after a similar load of shite from a standful of Tykes ...when we started up with "One nil, to the bindy boys" after their own volley of abuse.

Its alway seems the matronly gals who enjoy that stuff most.

Remember a few years back on our return to Gillingham, a younger inbred type started with the homophobic’s and then someone in the Albion end pointed out quite loudly that he looked like Rik Waller, instantly the “you’re just a fat Rik Waller” started.

Rik then proceeded to boot off due to the unwanted attention and luckily for us could t get past his elderly father of circa 9 stone and 5 foot in height.
The song didn’t stop and he ended up hitting his own dad who had, had enough at this point and was trying to reason / tell him to STFU and sit down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So true!!! Whether it was a heavy defeat away at Carlisle, being witness to the totally embarrassment of d1ckhead pissed fans at Southend, the debacle at Canvey Island, etc. etc!! All pants days out

Another 'special' for me was a defeat away at Wigan, maybe 20plus years ago?? 2-0 down early, thinking the day is over and I've still got a 5 hour journey home

Canvey Island. Oh how I enjoyed that, the entire island of lunatics turned out in an attempt to kill us as I recall just the one road out of town too :lolol:
Fight or flight without the option of flight lovely :lolol::lolol::lolol:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Canvey Island. Oh how I enjoyed that, the entire island of lunatics turned out in an attempt to kill us as I recall just the one road out of town too :lolol:

Yeah, I heard it was pretty nasty that day. I doff my cap to you as a Canvey Island Veteran! :lolol:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Deffo, Palace 5 BHA 0

After waiting so long to play them there in the league and to blow it the way we did was just so depressing.

I did manage to escape (just) before the lock-in as couldn’t take the humiliation anymore.

If anyone shouts ‘Andy’ since then I still expect thousands of Palace fans to shout back ‘Johnson’ [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003

You are quite correct! A place that time forgot :down:

I remember one lone policeman, in a scene from Rorkes Drift, who positioned himself between two sets of warring fans, battling in vain to stop a scrap! Getting out of that hole on a bus down that long road out of town was an achievement in itself!!

So many not-so-happy memories on this thread! Any younger fans don't know how lucky they are to support us now in a time of Premier League riches and decent away day destinations. Scunthorpe away on a cold Wednesday winter night means NOTHING to them :wave: (yes done in, and seen us lose heavily and thought "Wow, I'm not getting home until stupid o'clock am I?"

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I remember being on a bus back to the park and ride car park and we all had to hit the deck as we were getting bricked by the lovely locals. Then when we arrived at the car park there was a very nice reception party for us. For someone who was a regular away day fan during the 70/80's, that day was pretty scary.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
My daughter and I probably waved at you! It seemed we were the only two Albion fans in Halifax that day. Had they taken the rugby posts out when you arrived? :shrug:

Just as we parked someone tapped on the window to tell us it was cancelled. Couldn't face driving home immediately so went for a drink with a couple of other fed up Brighton fans in a grim Halifax pub before hitting the road again. That was a long old day!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Me and my brother drove all the way to Swansea in the pissing rain for a cup match only to find the match had been called off! Before the age of the mobile phone and the radio in my crappy Skoda was knackered so we were blissfully unaware until we rocked up at the Vetch field and realised too late! My brother knew a couple in Swansea so we visited them for a cuppa then drove home. Biggest waste of time in my Albion supporting history.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I don't think anyone who was at the Palace 5-0 disaster could possibly ever have any other game as their worst?

My tenth birthday. Spent what felt like a lifetime in the kettle, and then police tried to stick us on a train to Brighton for our safety (live in North London). The 90 minutes of football were pretty bad as well. Awful.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Probably not quite the worst, but I remember going to Lincoln away in the FA Cup. It was freezing, we were awful, lost 3-1 (?) and just remember thinking why did we bother going. Palace 5-0 was horrible but at least I cared, but this game at Lincoln just left me feeling completely disinterested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here