Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your top Amex games…

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I don’t think Doncaster will ever be beaten.
Probably makes the top 10 though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
All of those mentioned stick in the memory, but another one that was up there for me was the 4-0 against Dirty Leeds. 4 goals in the first half and most of their support leaving and going home early.
I wish we had really turned the screw and buried them in the second half. Beating the Champions of Europe doesn’t come along very often.

Except for us, it does.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Doncaster
Shef Wed win when Murray sent off
Wigan
Man Utd at home to stay up in first PL season

Can't bring myself to put Shef Wed play off game as we didn't win
Though wasn't there yesterday - Warren on radio was loving it and Glenn Hoddle on BT Sport was wishing he was there too to support Brighton ...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok, sobered up and watched the highlights (quite a few times). Wanted to deflate a bit before thinking about it.

-Potter and co returning…..the best back story
-never beaten Chelsea in the league, and only ‘big club’ we haven’t beaten
-Cucu being reduced to a quivering shadow of himself by a combo of the crowd and Solly who had him on toast
-3 goals up at HT
-NS actually singing the same song most of the time
-DeZ running on the pitch when Tross scored
-Groß scoring and signalling ‘that’s it’
-best atmosphere in ages, massively aided by the Potter stuff
-some sublime football, particularly first half when we (well, Rob) handed Potter’s arse to him on a plate
-De Z‘s interview afterwards

Beats all the others listed for me.

edit - forgot……the Amex absolutely bouncing after the final whistle with not too many empty seats

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Massive 2016
United 2022
City 2021
United April(?) 2018
Chelsea 2022
United 2018
Palace 2019
Massive 2017
Blackpool 2013
Wigan 2017
That’s a great list - I’d just like to add the first match v Doncaster and ( for atmosphere) the narrow loss v Burnley when we played most of the match with 9 players

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Easy - Wigan for the consequences, shit game glorious celebrations and the Promised Land reached.

Saturday gave me more pleasure than any result since :shrug:

I agree on all of the others mentioned as being really special, none of them top Saturday though for me.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A lot of great games listed here, and difficult to pick between them. Saturday's was another great. After the crap we've had to put up with from Chel$ea I was feeling like football is a little dead. This game brought back hope.

I was sneered at on NSC that night for suggesting we'd be talking about the game years later
Did you say that before or after the game?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
05.10.19. Potter's 8th game in charge, we dismantle Pochettino's Champions League runners up at home 3-0 in a complete rout that signals the end of an era of the Albion only trying to contain the big teams. We've gone at all of them ever since.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Double save by David Stockdale!
That was Massive 2017, which was just a fantastic game and atmosphere. Others won't agree with me on this, but I still think the atmosphere at the second leg of the plays offs when we got knocked out was the best I've experienced. Glorious failure can be as meaningful as a convincing victory. To witness the reaction of some key players (Bruno and Liam, especially) was quite something.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Been so many great days in the past decade. In the top 5 for me, just gutted wasn't there, a historic milestone

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've missed a couple of belters (Palace with the Andone goal being the standout) but still managed to be there for Wigan, St. Patrick's Day Massacre and Massive in 2017, the day I started believing.

In the PL era the day we beat City holds a special place, I'm married to a Manc and most of her family are City fans, the fact I was one of the lucky 10,000 to be there to witness it and the feeling that things were returning to normal post Covid were the cherries on top.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Massive 2016
United 2022
City 2021
United April(?) 2018
Chelsea 2022
United 2018
Palace 2019
Massive 2017
Blackpool 2013
Wigan 2017

Funny how few nominations were under Potter.

What?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Ok, sobered up and watched the highlights (quite a few times). Wanted to deflate a bit before thinking about it.

-Cucu being reduced to a quivering shadow of himself by a combo of the crowd and Solly who had him on toast
-3 goals up at HT
-some sublime football, particularly first half when we (well, Rob) handed Potter’s arse to him on a plate

edit - forgot……the Amex absolutely bouncing after the final whistle with not too many empty seats
Yep! I agree with all of that. I said to my husband when I got home, that I think I enjoyed that more then beating Palace 3-1 with 10 men, he is not a football fan but has been marrid to me for 25 years and knows that beating Palace has highest place on my list in my football priority, so he was in a bit shocked.

I think it was the absolute gut wrenching feeling I had when first I heard he was leaving and also thinking that Bruno would steady the ship until we found a new manager, but found out soon after he was going as well. That bloody hurt. Then the whole media saying we should be greatful for our place because we are little ol Brighton, not the fact we have to earnt our place to where we were and had our guts ripped out. But it's OK because Chelsea pays a load of cash.

My toughts were that Potter would turn up with new star players, beat us comfortably and the Chelea fans rubbing our noses in it Singing "He left cos you're shit"

But what happend was increadable and will live me until I pop my clogs, as one of the best days at the Amex ever. Nothing but pure, unadulterated Karma and total elation.

I have done nothing but watch replays and interveiws and read articles about the match since. I really need to do some work today.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I never thought we would slaughter Manchester United 4-0 but it was an end of season match against a team that had lost a series of away matches on the trot. The Donny first ever match was great for the occasion and result, beating Wigan to be promoted was again occasion and result rather than performance, but for me Saturday simply meant more. Two regulars down due to injuries, RDZ awaiting first win, Potter having not lost too. I've no axe to grind against him, but the sleazebag he works for is repulsive. Cucurella leaving by initially going on strike meant that even former Palace player Conor Gallagher did not win the floppy haired twat of the day award. It was David v Goliath in terms of spending and resources, but we did it, and a truly magnificent performance and match, which could have ended 7-5.

Still buzzing 48 hours later.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Others won't agree with me on this, but I still think the atmosphere at the second leg of the plays offs when we got knocked out was the best I've experienced. Glorious failure can be as meaningful as a convincing victory. To witness the reaction of some key players (Bruno and Liam, especially) was quite something.
Whether that game was as meaningful is debatable, but I doubt many will argue with you about the atmosphere. We were wronged back then (not just the bad luck of 4 injuries away from home, but the shameful complete shister decision in the game before) and we've been wronged by the scum that is Chelsea FC - it clearly helps create a good atmosphere.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That was Massive 2017, which was just a fantastic game and atmosphere. Others won't agree with me on this, but I still think the atmosphere at the second leg of the plays offs when we got knocked out was the best I've experienced. Glorious failure can be as meaningful as a convincing victory. To witness the reaction of some key players (Bruno and Liam, especially) was quite something.
I think it was too. That first half leading up to our goal, the atmosphere was totally electric. Knockaert was like a man possessed and I've no doubt our fans literally driving the players.on.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

-3 goals up at HT

Cucu looked like he was about to start crying at times!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This echoes my thoughts exactly. Mullering Leicester was still enjoyable, but like the smashing of Norwich it wasn't a history defining moment.

Yesterday was on a different level and is one of those games that will live on in history, not just because of it being our first win against Chelsea but the story behind it.
It seemed because of the almost unreality of it all.

To deliver Potters first defeat, De Zerbi first victory and our first ever in league by 1 goal would've been taken in advance by most I guess.
What actually happend was like a teenage Albion fans footballing wet dream.

It was beyond what any of us Imagined in advance...... to rip them apart like that first half, to see Potters forlorn face and cucurella looking stunned with all the panto booing, just made it all that much more heightened and enjoyable.

This was Albion nirvana.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here