Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your journey to work and the irritations you encounter

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I do not miss commuting to London at all.

My journey to work is 8 kms and I have to contend with maniac taxi drivers, double length trucks skipping the toll road, cars driving at 40km/h, tractors, goats and sometimes monkeys. And the occasional Rhebok or Kudu. Remarkably stress free. Only downside is if the road is blocked for any reason, I have a 30k detour.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Only around two miles, however it is along Lewes Road / Vogue Gyratory and hence earlier this week took 45 mins (30 mins sat not moving on the bus, the remainder time walking the rest of the way back)

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I'm normally pretty relaxed on the way to London Bridge in the mornings after seeing it all and realising getting stressed doesn't help.This morning however,I got on the train at Hassocks and the only aisle seat available had some ladies entire make up collection on it.When I asked her politely if I could sit down,she tutted,looked around the carriage and pointed at a window seat that was free which happened to be next to some fat guy sleeping.I said politely again id prefer to sit in the seat occupied by her make up bag,resisting the urge to tell her to shut her ugly face and move it.Then to top it off she started cutting her finger nails with a pair of scissors placing them directly on the table in front.Does my facking head in

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Through Lewes to Brighton by car. Been doing it for 11 years. Was 30 minutes now 1 hour.
A26 speed cut to 50mph, Lewes Road cut to 30mph & Brighton cut to 20mph.
Bus lanes cutting me to one lane and that gyratory system, will they ever get that right.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So glad I only have a short drive, which in itself is annoying enough! How anyone can get the train from Brighton/Haywards Heath to London EVERY DAY (let alone further) is beyond me. I would literally be certified within a month.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've said many times before I loath commuting. It's a total and utter waste of my time. When I quit my hour long journey each way I was quite shocked how much time I had on my hands. In the future I will either live close to work or find work close to home. Whilst a former champion of working from home I also got fed up with that and now rent a hot-desk in an office complex.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I'm retired.

I love it.

Apart from the bit about being a senile old git who doesn't dress smartly enough for the football. Obviously.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
40 min bike ride and the twonk this morning who told me that I'm "Supposed to get off my bike" on the strange detour one has to to take leaving the cycle path at the new iTower thingy on the sea front and going down to the promenade. I know I'm 'supposed to get off' you chump, but it's 7:20am and I'm smashing the system and riding that 100 yard section.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I hate my commute in to work even though it’s only about 8 miles door-to-door, and when I finally get to my desk I hate about 90% of mankind too.

The timeline of my main peeves, irritations and hate-figures is as follows:

Car to station

• Prats who force their way up the narrow road expecting everyone else to pull in and let them pass.
• Prats who don’t acknowledge you pulling in for them
• Kids who wander across the road glaring at you in some weird new variant of ‘chicken’
• Prats who try to park at the side of the road and hold you up for aaaages whilst they struggle interminably to reverse into a space a bus could drive in to.
• Prats at the junction who won’t pull out unless they have a guaranteed 30 seconds in which to do so.
• Prats who are turning right but can’t position themselves properly so prevent anyone from turning left.

Station and train

• People who, as you walk further along the platform than them, glare at you as if you are pushing in.
• People who have phone conversations on the train and make no effort to talk discretely.
• The constant sniffer who is never more than 5 yards away.
• The pranny who insists on bringing their breakfast on to the train and slurps their coffee noisily, eats their croissant noisily and greedily, then flicks their crumbs on to your legs.
• The prat who sits next to you and believes that etiquette allows him to spread open his newspaper to read whilst leaving his forearm within an inch of your face.
• The dick who has ignored the regulations about bikes in rush hour and glares at everyone who gives him and his bike a ‘dark look’.
• Us, who do no more than give ‘dark looks’.
• Smelly people.
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the platform at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Tits who queue at the first ticket gate and cause a massive blockage despite their being 19 other empty ticket gates.

The walk to work.

• People thrusting crap I don’t want in to my hands.
• ********s in suits and trainers. Why, just why?
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the pavement at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Full kit wanker cyclists who treat every morning and evening as a stage of the Tour of Britain.
• People who jog to work. On some of the busiest pavements and roads in the country. In rush hour.
• Dawdlers. All of them. Except those with medical conditions.
• Tits who pull out massive golf umbrellas at the very first hint of drizzle.
• Couples, yes couples, arm-in-arm, with massive golf umbrellas in minor drizzle.
• Idiots who insist in talking very loudly in to their Blackberries so we can all hear how important they are.

I could go on and on and on…

Very jealous of those who work from home. Very jealous indeed.

Wow!

I was going to post my frustrations but I cannot compete.

You need help!

http://www.google.com.mt/url?sa=t&r...K8ZI-tQBs2rYUzjxBtRr3gg&bvm=bv.75775273,d.bGQ

Flex Your Head

If it's only 8 miles why the need for car train and feet to get that far. Couldn't you just walk it.
Unfortunately it's not that simple as I / we have to take into account the dropping off and picking up of littl'un from the childminder.

Up until May I used to have a splendid 20 minute walk to work along quiet residential roads and through a lovely park, then they decided to relocate us. Grrrr!

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Love my commute.

10/15 mins cycle along fairly quiet roads, before joining the main road leading to my business park and overtaking the stationery traffic with a cheery wave and smile.

They love that, they do.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Right, the standard of driving here is something to be believed, basic principles seem to be lacking.
Tailgating , the national sport here.
Indicating to turn left at roundabouts when they are driving straight on, this causes no end of bingles.
Resentment due to being overtaken by a van, or a smaller car.
No courtesy whatsoever.
Indicating and pulling out straight away without even checking to see if there is a gap, indication here is an order to move out the way and not a request to merge respectfully.
Moving suddenly from the right hand lane, right across the left hand lane, carving up everyone and leaving at a junction when they are right on top of it, seen many a pile up due to this.
Sitting in the right hand lane of an empty road doing 10km below the speed limit, keep left my arse.
This isn't only on my way to work, it is all the time.

It's a bit like that here but they indicate right for straight on at roundabouts and just don't indicate the rest of the time. Priority at roundabouts is biggest has the most rights (Apart from White Taxis). Older drivers were taught that an accident is only their fault if they hit the car in front so they only ever look straight ahead ! At night we have Full Beam and Foglights (because I can!) or just sidelights to save fuel!!! Or worst of all only one headlight grr. Absolutely no enforcement ever. Apart from that live is very relaxing :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When I was acting I had some horrific "commutes" to jobs, including things like flying to Austria and back on 7 hour turnarounds which got very boring very quickly. From NY I will be living at my work is so it's long hours but no commute. I am lucky I've never had to head into London from Brighton every day. There must come a point when you just say enough is enough surely? I feel sorry for the OP.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My 'commute' of 1 mile, takes 30 minutes, of which 25 minutes is spent in the cafe at Waitrose, enjoying a (free) latte and an almond croissant.

Sometimes there is a bit of a QUEUE at the cafe. That is quite annoying, as it sometimes means I end up rushing my coffee.

.....Indicating to turn left at roundabouts when they are driving straight on, this causes no end of bingles.....

Today's word but what does it mean? Sounds like a cute fluffy thing from an ozzie kid's TV show but clearly it isn't.

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
My commute is literally only a few hundred yards as i live so close to work. My grumble would be that i should live further away so that my commute is more enjoyable! Starting work at 8:30am means i leave home at 8:27 :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I walk down 10 flights of stairs, get my bike out of the cellar and pedal 2k on a cycle path. I stop at a coffee shop close to work. I'm happy with this.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i am surprised nowadays at how many people ask about 'working from home' when applying for an office job in london, from easily commutable distances. it must be a generational thing, and its always 'one or two days a week?'. thats not a moan, it just seems strange to me, but i suppose thats todays working culture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here