Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Your garden.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've had to mow the lawn until the end of November for years now. Sussex simply doesn't have cold Novembers.

The mean November daily max on the Sussex coast is 12c, grass grows with a soil temperature of 6c or more.

The temperature outside just now is 13.4c here.
Exactly…..my normal grass cutting for the typical customer is twenty fortnightly cuts a year from March until November ..rarely has that been altered due to frost or snow and ive been doing it for the past thirty years :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I let mine grow wild most of the year with a small area for a table and chairs etc and a patio for barbecues and outdoor masturbation.

I much prefer to see butterflies and birds out there than clean edges, water thirsty lawns and cheap Homebase garden furniture. Leave it to nature, it always makes a better job of things than humans.
This sort of disgraceful behaviour would put me out of business :whistle:

On second thoughts is the first bit linked to the end of the sentence .…hmmm

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
When you say 'fencing off a bit of field', if you are extending the curtilage of your residential garden into an agricultural field, then you need planning permission. Just saying.
Appreciate that, cheers - plan is that were converting it in to some 'wild' areas, some veg growing bits and a pond. It won't be a residential garden per se but you are absolutely right. The general approach to planning among locals here is to JFDI....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No mow May (no chance for my clients)….left my postage stamp sized front garden uncut for the last month….apart from about a foot and a half around the perimeter.

Love the buttercups…bit of clover and oxeye daisies

71AD10AA-B6F1-4E2F-8E28-AD33EB1FC1F9.jpeg
C2DE6926-2720-4A45-879A-41C36D659C71.jpeg

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Looks great, but you don't have to leave it uncut if you don't want to. I leave the back third of my garden wild, but if you cut your lawn regularly and consistently to roughly the same height then the daisies, buttercups etc will adapt and grow to that height as well. It's why you see so many country garden lawns looking amazing. My gardener mate is scathing about no mow may, so it's always good to wind her up about it. 😂

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Looks great, but you don't have to leave it uncut if you don't want to. I leave the back third of my garden wild, but if you cut your lawn regularly and consistently to roughly the same height then the daisies, buttercups etc will adapt and grow to that height as well. It's why you see so many country garden lawns looking amazing. My gardener mate is scathing about no mow may, so it's always good to wind her up about it. 😂
It’ll get a cut when the oxeye has finished….but not short.

Luckily my clients don’t see it!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Love the efforts in above posts made to ‘wild up’ parts of gardens and leave areas of long grass - I always leave one side of the pond with long mixed grasses (mostly for frog cover) and patches of long grass where I planted narcissus bulbs which gets cut when bulbs are finished - then right at the back is a completely wild area and anything and everything pops up year to year in a mixed bed from Ragwort, Wild Foxgloves, Poppies, Forget-me-nots, Ox-eyes, Borage, Nettles etc - always covered in bees and butterflies
IMG_0281.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have about an acre of grounds if I left it , it would be a complete mess, however I have another area of about half an acre left to nature surround by 3000 acres of private estate left to nature. We have rabbits, deer, hedgehogs in our garden which is lovely. My veg patch is well protected!!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The house we have recently moved to has an acre of garden that the previous owner planted very lavishly. I'm considering a bit of wilding but not totally decided. I suspect I will leave it alone for a year to see how it grows, with tending and mowing, before deciding. We back on to fields and get plenty of wildlife so that's a good start.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No mow May (no chance for my clients)….left my postage stamp sized front garden uncut for the last month….apart from about a foot and a half around the perimeter.

Love the buttercups…bit of clover and oxeye daisies

View attachment 161217View attachment 161218
The very long wet and cool winter/spring must’ve been heaven for Buttercups, they’ve thrived round here eg on roadside verges.

For the first time I’m growing a mini meadow on our verge, seeded last autumn. It’s beginning to look beautiful, the highlight so far the stunning blue of Cornflowers

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The house we have recently moved to has an acre of garden that the previous owner planted very lavishly. I'm considering a bit of wilding but not totally decided. I suspect I will leave it alone for a year to see how it grows, with tending and mowing, before deciding. We back on to fields and get plenty of wildlife so that's a good start.
We went to Parham Gardens last week, the only visit previously about 4 years ago.

They’ve replaced formal perennial borders/beds in 2/3’s of their walled garden, with meadow. Looked fantastic and must be a haven for ecosystems. With occasional winding mown paths.

IMG_0400.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here