Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Brighton Anniversary (Uber fan?)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It was 14077 days ago or 38 years, 6 months and 14 days ago. (thanks to the on line calculator) :smile:

My wonderful uncle took me, we left a tad before the final whistle for some reason....

Probably had something to with Pretty Pink Fairy and his mates...

Such an electric atmosphere I was immediately hooked, much to my dad's annoyance being a Southampton fan....

I still have the program, tad beaten up though...

Still the best kit we have ever had.

https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/04/15/lifes-a-riot-as-brighton-crush-spurs/

Attachments

• 4593717524.jpg
    4593717524.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 247
  • 4593717922_968x457.jpg
    4593717922_968x457.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 270
  • brighton-v-spurs.jpg
    brighton-v-spurs.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 347

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
First home game of the season in 1955, presumably August.I was7 and thought we were playing a Polish team- it was Walsall. ( The boy who took me to that match sits a few rows in front of me in the west stand.)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Same as my first game. V Chelsea ? third round of FA Cup ?
That was mine. We lost 2-0. My dad was a West Stand season ticket holder in those days and took me because his mate couldn't go. I was just about 8 years old and looking down the steps from the back of the West scared the living crap out of me!

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I'd been taken to matches before this time but I have no recollection of them, so my bench mark 'first match' was Oct. 1st 1983 vs Charlton Athletic as we won 7-0. My dad and aunt took me (both of whom still come with me to every home game), we stood in the South West corner that day (where we remained for games until I was old enough to be allowed to go in the North Stand - my first game in there wasn't until a home FA cup game with Scunthorpe nearly a decade later) Just gone past 33 years of regularly watching, wow...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had to answer this on the Roar. I think it was Everton and I know we lost and I definitely would have been around 9 years old so it's all pointing to 7 October 1980. Very recently 36. Had to look it up though as my dad wasn't a football fan so I went when family friends took pity on me. At least I've fully brainwashed my son who's had a season ticket, watched us from two stands and been to two away games all before getting close to his tenth birthday.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
My first Albion game was on the evening of 5th November 1966 (a 2-0 home win against Oldham Athletic) so the away game at Bristol City next week will mark my 50th season as an Albion fan. What a rollercoaster :mad::albion: and mix of blood, sweat, tears, euphoria - and 4 different home grounds.

Looking back that first game was a sort of test of my new found love for footie after England's recent World Cup win (yes it really did happen). Would I rather go to the footie on Bonfire Night? - and to see an Albion side that had just been thrashed 8-0 by Northampton Town? Needn't have worried, we won - and I was hooked. Can't remember my second game but do recall us drawing Chelsea in the Cup later that season and getting a 0-4 pasting at the Goldstone. The rollercoaster had started.

Finally got my scanner to co-operate to enable me to post this which shows my Brighton Anniversary.

CCI04112016.jpg

I could fib and say I actually got it signed by Peter Ward (back on loan from Forest and the scorer in a fairly drab 1 - 1 draw) but have to confess it came from eBay many years after the event!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FA Cup third round Saturday in January will be my 50th. anniversary.

Aldershot 0 Brighton 0 at the Recreation Ground. Oh to be that young again!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Barrow 1969. 47 years. All of them lovely, for different reasons.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
7th November 1959. Brighton reserves v West Ham reserves, 57 years ago. My parents had just moved to Hassocks having lived in East Ham so I stood behind the south goal wearing my West Ham scarf. But it soon went into my pocket as Brighton won 5 -1 and I changed allegiance; a hammer metamorphosed into a seagull.

Thanks to The History Man I have a copy of the programme; no's 5 and 6 were a couple of kids working their way through West Ham reserves, I wonder whatever happened to them?

View attachment 78988

That's some team: future WH manager John Lyall, John Cartwright, future director of technical excellence with the FA and Millwall legend Harry Cripps there as well.

I'm coming up to my 50th anniversary - 4 Feb 1967. We lost 3-2 to Walsall but I was hooked I couldn't go very often in those early days as my dad normally worked on Saturdays; I longed for when I could go on my own

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
25th feb 1978 - Sunderland. Supersub Eric Potts banging in two in last 5 mins to make 2-1 to Albion. my dad made us leave 5 mins before the end so missed both goals!!

so nearly 39 years.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Couldn't get anyone to take me to a game until I was 9, so my first game wasn't until 1970 when an Uncle finally heeded my plea's. Bradford City at home, South Stand seats.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Supported since 1958 but first game attended was September 4, 1968. Brighton 1 Luton 1 in the League Cup.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not 100% sure, would take a guess at '71 or '72 so let's call it 45 years. Do we get a card?

Floppie haired blonde Eddie, the white piping along the shorts, the metal score plates wedged up against the corresponding pitch-side letters for the half-times, bloke walking around selling progs and monkey nuts.

Jumpers for goalposts, small boys in the park......witch hazel.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
31st Jan 1978, 4th round FA Cup. Lost 1-2 to Notts County. I think the game was due to be played on Saturday 28th but was postponed until the Tuesday because of bad weather.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
My first match was on 5th April 1980 - An away game at Palace. I was taken to the game by my uncle, his mate and his mates dad. Although we were supporting the Albion, I remember tht we stood on the terrace at the side of the pitch in the Palace end. The match ended 1-1.

I was under strict instructions to keep my mouth shut, so as to not give any clues that we were Albion fans, which I managed to do, until on leaving the ground I blurted out that I didn't think much of their programme!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not 100% sure, would take a guess at '71 or '72 so let's call it 45 years. Do we get a card?

Floppie haired blonde Eddie, the white piping along the shorts, the metal score plates wedged up against the corresponding pitch-side letters for the half-times, bloke walking around selling progs and monkey nuts.

Jumpers for goalposts, small boys in the park......witch hazel.

There's a memory. You had to view them as soon as numbers were put down against the letters before the urchins started mixing them up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here