Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Young. Rooney & Welbeck had a terrible tournament

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
If Rooney never puts an england shirt on again it will be too soon, he was f***ing awful, he looked f***ed after 15 minutes last night

ive always defended rooney, but your right he looked unfit and like he didn't give a shit put no pressure on the defenders, and just trotted around.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
My take is that the current England team represent a more accurate state of the Premier League than any individual team with all their 'overseas' mercenaries.

Which is very worrying for the long term future of the game in this country.

Almost every one of the better national teams in this tournament include several Premier League players ( most of whom are intergral to providing our own forwards with the service from midfield they require when playing for their club sides ).

The trouble is that none of those exceptionally good players are English.

This. How long will it take for the penny to drop at FA Headquarters !

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Parker 'outstanding'?? For effort maybe but his distribution wasn't consistent and very clumsy in alot of his tackling. Its all v well having the commitment and 3 Lions passion but you need some skill to back it up.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What? Best 'keeper in the tournament IMO, at least top 3 if not.

No chance , only if you believe the hype.

Should of done better with Sweden goals. French goal some pointed finger but I'm not sure. Nearly gifted a goal last night and I thought his punching was a bit hap hazard. Didnt have a nightmare but a long way off outstanding

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I feel sorry for Ashley Young. Pointless playing him in that kind of formation when we are defending so deep, should just have chucked another central midfield holding player in there. He didn't look good, but how was he supposed to, getting the ball so deep, having no support, every time he got the ball he had three italians' on him to take it away again, or had to try and cross it pinpoint onto the lone englishman surrounded by 3 defenders. He's a good player and in a more-forward thinking side would be excellent.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Funny that you picked three Man Utd players - any coincidence ? I agree about Rooney and Young but Wellbeck was head and shoulders above Milner.

It was/is just a coincidence.

Milner was heading that way, but improved last 2 games & did an awful lot of work preventing danger.
Accept creativity is not in his game.

Mind you, he would get no where near a Portugal/Spain/Germany/Italy team.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
My take is that the current England team represent a more accurate state of the Premier League than any individual team with all their 'overseas' mercenaries.

Which is very worrying for the long term future of the game in this country.

Almost every one of the better national teams in this tournament include several Premier League players ( most of whom are intergral to providing our own forwards with the service from midfield they require when playing for their club sides ).

The trouble is that none of those exceptionally good players are English.

True.
Having Alonso, Zola, Ronaldo, Torres, Drogba & Co may have raised PL standard (based on spending on them), but where are our next players of the skill and vision of: Barnes, Waddle, Beardsley, Scholes & Gascoigne?

Take away the veneer of the PL buying imports, the underlying skill of England's top players compared to before, has dropped.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Welbeck needs to work on holding the ball up because he got subbed after giving it away twice in quick succession. That said, for a young guy in his first tournament he did well and, importantly, he looked like a TEAM player.

Ashley Young - will do well against teams like San Marino but last night didn't dare to take on the full-back once. Bottler - will never cut it internationally against the big boys.

Rooney - He's lucky we have a dearth of striking options. Has he fallen out of love with England after WC 2010 in South Africa? Something's not right.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Welbeck is on the cusp of will he be good or won't he. Flashes that he could be, and reason for optimism. I preferred him over the cart horse.

Young was awful, but it is the classic English selection of taking a totally right footed player and playing him left. For a side like Spain or Germany, probably doesn't matter given you're looking to pass the ball a lot, but in this system, it's essential really that he goes on the outside and he's never going to be comfortable doing that on his left.

Rooney looked like someone with the weight of the world on him. If he can't cope with that, then I'd agree with the other threads, he isn't world class and is always going to struggle on the international stage.

Jan 30, 2008
Other than Welbeck's one classy finish, I strongly feel all 3 were particularly awful.

They did get plenty of service, but lost the ball so so often. Piling pressure on the rest of the team.

Funny thing is, when the flat-track-bullies crush Swansea, Wigan & Norwich in the PL next season, the media & some punters will describe them as sublime and world class.

The last 4 games (2 in Rooney's case) ... reveal the truth.

In contrast over the 4 games, in their duties,
Terry
Lescott
Johnson
Parker
Gerrard
Hart
were outstanding.
says it all :facepalm:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think everyone is being very harsh on Rooney, he drove the team forward both games he played, if he wasn't on the pitch it would've been 10x more difficult last night getting forward.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Other than Welbeck's one classy finish, I strongly feel all 3 were particularly awful.

Agreed. United were awful in this tournament. Thank god Rio and Carrick didn't go, we'd never have made it out of the group. Thought the rest of the team were sensational and restored national pride again and did well to get to the QF considering that had to carry these three.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The police have started an investigation into people who racially abused Ashley Young online for missing his spot kick.

Hope they remembered to add a smiley afterwards to make it okay

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
From @OptaJoe:

91% - Danny Welbeck's pass completion rate of 91% at Euro 2012 is level with Mesut Özil and Andrés Iniesta. Prospect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here