Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Young. Rooney & Welbeck had a terrible tournament

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Other than Welbeck's one classy finish, I strongly feel all 3 were particularly awful.

They did get plenty of service, but lost the ball so so often. Piling pressure on the rest of the team.

Funny thing is, when the flat-track-bullies crush Swansea, Wigan & Norwich in the PL next season, the media & some punters will describe them as sublime and world class.

The last 4 games (2 in Rooney's case) ... reveal the truth.

In contrast over the 4 games, in their duties,
Terry
Lescott
Johnson
Parker
Gerrard
Hart
were outstanding.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. Smacked of Rooney trying to hard when he came back also. I actually think Carroll did well when he came on in both the games he did, held the ball up quite well, gave us a bit of muscle.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst I agree about Rooney and Young I couldn't disagree more about Welbeck.

I thought he did really well throughout the competition. Held the ball up, made some great intelligent runs that were not appreciated, ran his socks off and topped it off with the goal of the tournament. He's only young and I feel will go on to be a massive player for club and country.

I also disagree that Parker and Terry were outstanding. Parker's distribution is abysmal and yes he makes some good blocks but usually because he has been too slow to get near the ball in the first place. Terry's blocks are usually due to his poor positioning and lack of pace in the first place.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Rooney considering he only played 2 games out of 4 you would have thought he would have been fresh but he looked as though he was unfit and wearing lead boots.
As for Ashley Young I am sorry , mediocre is a complement

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Have to disagree on Wellbeck. He was one of our best players and gave the ball away far less than other players. All I can say is, thank fcuk for the seagulls.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't understand the point of playing Wellbeck if we were going to play so directly. Granted a good player, but effective for United, who play a far more attractive brand of football.

May as well have played Carroll with the style implemented.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I too thought Welbeck did OK, he's young, he'll probably improve and I thought he made what is a very big step up pretty well.

I have long thought Rooney was over rated and I still reckon he's no better than average on the world stage. Nowhere near enough pace to be taken seriously against decent defenders.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
If Rooney never puts an england shirt on again it will be too soon, he was f***ing awful, he looked f***ed after 15 minutes last night

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Young was shocking. Should never have been picked to start last night. Downing would have been a better option!

Hart was not the same keeper he has been for Man City, never seen him flap so much! Not saying he was bad, but was caught off guard on more than one occasion.

Rooney was poor, Welbeck was ok, Carroll was our best striker easily.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
My take is that the current England team represent a more accurate state of the Premier League than any individual team with all their 'overseas' mercenaries.

Which is very worrying for the long term future of the game in this country.

Almost every one of the better national teams in this tournament include several Premier League players ( most of whom are intergral to providing our own forwards with the service from midfield they require when playing for their club sides ).

The trouble is that none of those exceptionally good players are English.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here