Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yesterdays Game Just Reaffirmed My Opinion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did l say that Tony Bloom's aim of sustainability is stupid? l didn't. and actually i agree with it. I merely think that once in a while if a system clearly isn't working, and/or until the Academy bears enough fruit to put the situation right, then we do need, (or Tony does), to put his hand in his pocket.

Effectively yes you did say that. 'Tony Bloom needs to put his hand in his pocket and bite the bullet to buy a far more exppensive player than we;ve ever had before' (or words to that effect, or variations thereof) and that's exactly wat you're saying.
There is no other interpretation.

Although I admit I should have probably written 'a hopeless pipe-dream' instead of 'stupid'.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes we need a striker who can score goals a goalkeeper who will stop every shot on target, 4 defenders that does not let the opposition get a shot a midfield that links up with the defence and strikers. If we get these in we will win the Premier league, this football management is so easy.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
How many games have Haverts and Lerner actually played?

The point is they would play most games if they could put the bl**dy ball in the net. We are talking 100+ mil here. Everyone seems to think that TB should chuck another 50mil at the striker holy grail and all will be well.
We are 2 points off the top half of the best league in the world. We must be crap.!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
31 shots which came in at 2.7 xg
Taking the penalty out (unforgiveably bad). and that's 30 shot's for 2 xg. Averaging out at 14/1 odds per shot.
Those are the sort of odds that indicate the striker has to hit a worldie, or the keeper/defence have a shocker, to score.

If we were hitting 2 xg from 10 shots, then yeah we can start looking at the quality of the strikers.
But the reality is our playing style rarely gives us good enough chances.

…..and again in English?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Bear in mind we've lost £120m in 2 seasons and I think those expecting us to go big on striker in the summer are living in cloud cuckoo land. Yes we know we need one but we just don't have the cash.

BUT, any other fans on here who want to splash £50m of their own money on one, then please go ahead and knock yourselves out.

Posts like this are pathetic. It’s a fans football forum, everyone is entitled to an opinion without being hit with the childish line of use your own money. If we can’t afford the calibre of player that it is abundantly clear we need then maybe our economic model needs updated and Tony needs to go and seek some additional investment.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
…..and again in English?

B9C0F2BD-A5A9-4A1F-9489-F067C25C2479.jpeg

Keep up :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Successful teams have several players who can score goals. Yes, the focus is always on strikers but midfielders and defenders need to chip in with goals too.
Fans also focus on how much a striker costs to buy but our wages structure is one of the lowest five in the PL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am sorry to keep going on but all the time march & gross are playing we will always be extremely very slow getting the ball into good positions without the opposition having 9/10/11 behind the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I’ve watched these situations in the post Muzza era.

Solly, Lamptey, Cucurella, Gross et al look up early and only see 5’9” Maupay in the box surrounded by a gaggle of giants. Or a minimum of 5 defenders in a low block for the entire game covering all eventualities.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
31 shots which came in at 2.7 xg
Taking the penalty out (unforgiveably bad). and that's 30 shot's for 2 xg. Averaging out at 14/1 odds per shot.
Those are the sort of odds that indicate the striker has to hit a worldie, or the keeper/defence have a shocker, to score.

If we were hitting 2 xg from 10 shots, then yeah we can start looking at the quality of the strikers.
But the reality is our playing style rarely gives us good enough chances.

But yesterdays game didn’t need a worldie or a shocker from the opponent’s defence; all it needed was Maupay to get his penalty on target and/or Veltman to have nodded his chance lower etc.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
But yesterdays game didn’t need a worldie or a shocker from the opponent’s defence; all it needed was Maupay to get his penalty on target and/or Veltman to have nodded his chance lower etc.

Applies to about 500 games among the lot I have witnessed since 1958.
We could have been contenders if only.......
Enjoy it while your still standing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Posts like this are pathetic. It’s a fans football forum, everyone is entitled to an opinion without being hit with the childish line of use your own money. If we can’t afford the calibre of player that it is abundantly clear we need then maybe our economic model needs updated and Tony needs to go and seek some additional investment.

Indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve watched these situations in the post Muzza era.

Solly, Lamptey, Cucurella, Gross et al look up early and only see 5’9” Maupay in the box surrounded by a gaggle of giants. Or a minimum of 5 defenders in a low block for the entire game covering all eventualities.

The second half yesterday did produce a fair few low hard crosses along the 6 yard line.
Something that certainly could have produced more than the usual of lobbing the ball onto a centre backs forehead.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A plan 'B' would be nice. A different way of playing/trying to score.

Maybe a big, target man is needed to mix it up with the cultured gang...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
And there lies the main problem.

Potterball is far too slow getting the ball upfield.

Very pretty football , but ultimately a waste of time when scoring goals is the aim of the game.

Absolutely this our transition from midfield to attack is at times not quick enough but yesterday we had a number of gilt edged chances that we failed to put away Maupa could have had a hat trick and but for a great save by Krul Veltman would have scored

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A plan 'B' would be nice. A different way of playing/trying to score.

Maybe an big, target man is needed to mix it up with the cultured gang...

Kickie ball forward quicker.

On days like yesterday they need to have an attacking corner routine (it's the only time they'll be out of position)

Sanchez needs to signal 'this one'.

Claim ball.
Instantly throw it to the byline halfway up his own half.
Lamptey/Cucu already running into that space.
One or two touch max before clipping the ball forward to where Maupay should be running into.

As it stands, at the moment.
They fake the above.
Then throw out to Solly.
Who cuts back inside.
Then passes into the middle of his own half.
And already the moment is gone.

But at least they keep possession.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Much as I understand the frustration take a look at 'Proven' Premier league strikers who have scored a reasonable amount of goals two seasons running and they are all playing for top 6 sides.

I really can't see us signing anyone outside of what we have already Sarmiento, Undav, Ferguson, Tolaj, Zeqiri, Sima or very similar :shrug:
Is that list even good enough for serious campaign in the championship? I have my doubts tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here