[Albion] Yesterdays Game Just Reaffirmed My Opinion.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bear in mind we've lost £120m in 2 seasons and I think those expecting us to go big on striker in the summer are living in cloud cuckoo land. Yes we know we need one but we just don't have the cash.

BUT, any other fans on here who want to splash £50m of their own money on one, then please go ahead and knock yourselves out.

Tony Bloom has always said, even since the pandemic started, that if the right player comes along, one who offers something different to what we already have, then that money is available.

Obviously no one wants him to have to spend it, but l just don't see an alternative. We have been very light on the goalscoring front ever since Glann Murray left us then subsequently retired, and that was some time ago now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bear in mind we've lost £120m in 2 seasons and I think those expecting us to go big on striker in the summer are living in cloud cuckoo land. Yes we know we need one but we just don't have the cash.

BUT, any other fans on here who want to splash £50m of their own money on one, then please go ahead and knock yourselves out.

It didn't stop the brains trust going big on half a dozen players who have never been to Lancing and may never kick a ball for t'Albion.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Having had time to reflect on yesterday, and watching the highlights back this morning, I believe our problem is just as much about how we attack than it is about our strikers (or lack of).

Despite the stats, we didn’t really create many chances that I would expect us to score from (outside of the penalty and set pieces). Most of our chances were either long range attempts, or snap shots in a crowded area.

We are far too slow and predictable at getting the ball forward and into dangerous positions while catching the defence out of shape. This is what the better teams do. Maupay, Trossard, March and Gross are all terrible at this. Our first attack (on the extended highlights) where Maupay has the chance to attack quickly but takes too long and gives it to Trossard in a poor position is a good example of this.

Is it tactics or just crap players? I honestly don’t know. But the way we attack has to change.

Lack of pace. Must have one of the slowest teams in the league (Lamptey apart and even he isn’t as fast as he was pre injury)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m confused about the club strategy as a whole at the minute, not one star player who has the capability to turn a game in the squad, five PL seasons and not to be disrespectful Solly March shouldn’t be starting a PL game the lad hardly lit up the championship with his ten goals in as many years. Yet here we are one of the highest ST prices in the league watching a bunch of mediocre players bar a couple of them huff and puff on a weekly basis. Nothing wrong with buying a few young prospects from around the world but as the only transfer strategy it seems doomed from the out set if you don’t also add some quality to the first team.

Obviously a normally fit Erikson isn’t going to sign for Brentford it’s more an example of how one or two quality players can boost a squad like ours all the players start believing they will win games. Murray said this at the start of the season a quality striker needed to come in to lift the current squad levels.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It didn't stop the brains trust going big on half a dozen players who have never been to Lancing and may never kick a ball for t'Albion.

I would have thought losing £120m in 2 years is enough to worry anyone in any type of business.

Recruitment policy has undoubtedly been questionable over the last few years, but maybe this summer the income generated from any player sales, other than helping reduce our debts, should go on just 1 or 2 players (rather than our past policy of buying several cheaper players hoping that one or two come good).

Quality over quantity this summer? (still, easier said than done though).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Quite. A playing system which yields 31 shots clearly isn’t a fault.

31 shots which came in at 2.7 xg
Taking the penalty out (unforgiveably bad). and that's 30 shot's for 2 xg. Averaging out at 14/1 odds per shot.
Those are the sort of odds that indicate the striker has to hit a worldie, or the keeper/defence have a shocker, to score.

If we were hitting 2 xg from 10 shots, then yeah we can start looking at the quality of the strikers.
But the reality is our playing style rarely gives us good enough chances.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would have thought losing £120m in 2 years is enough to worry anyone in any type of business.

Recruitment policy has undoubtedly been questionable over the last few years, but maybe this summer the income generated from any player sales, other than helping reduce our debts, should go on just 1 or 2 players (rather than our past policy of buying several cheaper players hoping that one or two come good).

Quality over quantity this summer? (still, easier said than done though).

Deffo.

The end result of the policy which feels like it should work, might just be round the corner.

It's just hard to shake the feeling they'll always be another corner.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Deffo.

The end result of the policy which feels like it should work, might just be round the corner.

It's just hard to shake the feeling they'll always be another corner.

Quite like to see us go for Diaz from Blackburn. At 22 and given his reasonable size, I'd be happy with say him, and 1 other attacking midfield (in the Richard Carpenter mould). Focus on 2 key signings rather than half a dozen amoeba's for the future.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Much as I understand the frustration take a look at 'Proven' Premier league strikers who have scored a reasonable amount of goals two seasons running and they are all playing for top 6 sides.

I really can't see us signing anyone outside of what we have already Sarmiento, Undav, Ferguson, Tolaj, Zeqiri, Sima or very similar :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We must have spent more on players for the Academy than almost any other club.

The academy or development squad is like a missing persons list. Either we should start playing them or Sussex police should be called to reunite them with their families.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Quite like to see us go for Diaz from Blackburn. At 22 and given his reasonable size, I'd be happy with say him, and 1 other attacking midfield (in the Richard Carpenter mould). Focus on 2 key signings rather than half a dozen amoeba's for the future.

A good player though was Sammy Ameoba. :).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Quite. A playing system which yields 31 shots clearly isn’t a fault.

I was surprised by this statistic post match. It suggested something which I didn’t see, which were actual shots that stood a chance of going in. Krul made a couple of good saves, so did 29 of them need a Keeper so’s to speak - including the penalty?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Maupay has more prem goals this season than Kai Haverts and Timo Lerner combined and they cost a long way north of 100mil between them.
Must mean something.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We desperately need a new striker!

Even Alan Shearer said it on Match of the Day last night, we look great going forward, create lots of chances, (31 shots yesterday), but just can't find the back of the net.

Ok so we have Deniz Undav joining us in the summer from his season's loan in Belgium, but even he is completely untried at Premier League level.

I know this has all been said countless times before, but sorry Mr. Bloom you will hbave to open your wallet wide one more time, and invest properly on a striker with a proven goalscoring record at this level.

Yes we have a few prospects in the Development squad, Ferguson, Tolaj et al, but they are both young and l don't think ready yet.plus Zeqiri and Sima but l'm far from convinced that they are the an swer to our problems either.

It really is obvious where our greatest problems lay. If you don't score goals you don't win football matgches. End of.
You would be happy to tell Mr. Bloom that his aim of sustainability, the club actually paying its own way, is just stupid, and if he can't accept your better idea he'd better hand the club over to someone who does, then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was surprised by this statistic post match. It suggested something which I didn’t see, which were actual shots that stood a chance of going in. Krul made a couple of good saves, so did 29 of them need a Keeper so’s to speak - including the penalty?

Careful you'll find yourself on the wrong end of 'should have scored, could have won - then everything would have been awesome' discussion.

Stating the facts that the team didn't really doesn't hold any water.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maupay has more prem goals this season than Kai Haverts and Timo Lerner combined and they cost a long way north of 100mil between them.
Must mean something.

In Stat World it means he'd be a phenomenal 'Sam Baldock' to a 'Glenn Murray' #1 striker.

But he just isn't the man you want to have the pressure of needing to score goals.
I think he'd score a large amount of 2nd and heaven forfend 3rd goals in games.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Careful you'll find yourself on the wrong end of 'should have scored, could have won - then everything would have been awesome' discussion.

Stating the facts that the team didn't really doesn't hold any water.

:lolol: Yes, statistics have been telling lies since Adam was a lad.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In Stat World it means he'd be a phenomenal 'Sam Baldock' to a 'Glenn Murray' #1 striker.

But he just isn't the man you want to have the pressure of needing to score goals.
I think he'd score a large amount of 2nd and heaven forfend 3rd goals in games.

3rd goals?!! You mean all season? Or in a single match? What is this witchcraft you speak of?!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You would be happy to tell Mr. Bloom that his aim of sustainability, the club actually paying its own way, is just stupid, and if he can't accept your better idea he'd better hand the club over to someone who does, then?

Did l say that Tony Bloom's aim of sustainability is stupid? l didn't. and actually i agree with it. I merely think that once in a while if a system clearly isn't working, and/or until the Academy bears enough fruit to put the situation right, then we do need, (or Tony does), to put his hand in his pocket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports