Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yes we have injuries but tactically that was garbage, again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is a crazy amount of revisionism. This is our first average spell under De-Zerbi, it’s because we’ve lost arguably our two best players without a same level replacement and our third best player is injured. I can’t believe people didn’t see this season going exactly like this, I’m frustrated with that performance but to call it tactically inept is hyperbole. We would have won that if we had Foden and Haaland level quality but we don’t. As for the potter revisionism, have you been on Mars for the last year and a half? Potter would have done that every game and we would have missed out on Europe because of it.
Yup :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, our two best wide players.
Exactly. Mitoma in particular gives defensive teams a problem. If they double up it frees up the other winger as it did for March for a lot of last season and Adingra in Europe. If they don't he'll quickly beat the full back and score or set up a cut back, as he did at Wolves early this season.

Without both the service to whoever is playing at 9 is considerably worse.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I don’t think Brentford fans were on the edge of their seat. You would be happy with a total of 5 shots at home?
No, but it's funny that they had the better chances until we decided to be quick and direct ourselves in the final few minutes; not shooting outside the box.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
If the message to the wingers, is to not turn back, get on the ball, take on your man, get to the line, fire it across, I think Evan would get the goals

Sure we would have less possession, we would be more vulnerable to counter attacks, but we would also earn more free kicks, corners and maybe a few more pens
Sound, in theory, and I too would like to see more crosses into the box.
Except we're so often dreadful at set pieces so winning corners and free kicks maybe shouldn't be the goal here.

It just a confidence thing, this season is a bit of a write off for him, some rest and a decent pre-season and hopefully he'll be better next season. Also he's very young and maybe shouldn't be bearing the hopes and dreams of the fans on his shoulders for the business end of the season.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
No, but it's funny that they had the better chances until we decided to be quick and direct ourselves in the final few minutes; not shooting outside the box.
Try reading the Brentford forum. That will tell you that they see us as a very good side who stopped their counter attack. Bart had nothing to do.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This is exactly the way I see it.

It wasn't a sparkling performance, but away from home against a side happy to defend and take a point, to create that number of chances to win the game wasn't bad. I see why De Zerbi says we played well.

To me the conversation should be about why the goals have dried up rather than what the tactics are
The two things are intrinsically linked. The tactics he’s deploying are failing to produce goals.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Try reading the Brentford forum. That will tell you that they see us as a very good side who stopped their counter attack. Bart had nothing to do.
Did Flekken have anything to do either, apart from a few simple saves?

We have only scored three goals in our last six matches, surely that is the problem?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Was it really THAT bad? Brentford parked the bus for 90 minutes. Apart from maybe 3 meaningful counter attacks they were camped into their defensive third the entire game, which is pretty unheard of for a home side to do. In reality when the home side does that the game is always going to be difficult with few clear cut chances. You only win those games if you have a player that can create some real magic, which would usually be Mitoma, or Enciso/Pedro but they're just back from injury. Im not saying it was a amazing performance, or one you'd tell the grandchildren about, but there's some real exaggeration on how bad it was going on. If Welbeck slots home that chance at the end then im sure most would be saying it was pretty solid away performance.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Except we're so often dreadful at set pieces so winning corners and free kicks maybe shouldn't be the goal here.
I'm generally disappointed with Gross delivery from set pieces, especially his outswingers seem way too high and floaty to realistically end up in a goal, but I can't help thinking of the one he put on Welbeck's head towards the end of the game justifies him continuing for the time being.

I wonder if Enciso is next in line to be taking them when he's fit. He's our cleanest striker of the ball and although I could see him smashing some out straight for a throw, I also think he could cause defences more problems than Pascal does.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Neither keeper had much to do, but we controlled the game and by and large had the superior players. It was a dull game, and I worry for next season that we have games exactly like this where we don't look like scoring.

I'll admit to being a bit out of love with RDZ, not because he's a bad manager but because I think he's in danger of believing all the positive hype surrounding him. I think we'll finish 10th and he's at least partly responsible for this season petering out to nothing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Was it really THAT bad? Brentford parked the bus for 90 minutes. Apart from maybe 3 meaningful counter attacks they were camped into their defensive third the entire game, which is pretty unheard of for a home side to do. In reality when the home side does that the game is always going to be difficult with few clear cut chances. You only win those games if you have a player that can create some real magic, which would usually be Mitoma, or Enciso/Pedro but they're just back from injury. Im not saying it was a amazing performance, or one you'd tell the grandchildren about, but there's some real exaggeration on how bad it was going on. If Welbeck slots home that chance at the end then im sure most would be saying it was pretty solid away performance.
A friend's son is a Brentford fan who went last night. This was my friend's feedback (verbatim): "Said Brentford were being battered by a totally dominated Brighton but somehow the Bees hung on for a much-needed point."

They wanted a point, and got it. We dominated but were probably slightly unlucky not to win.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I never feel excited when we attack anymore.

I preferred Brentford's style of play, more direct which gets you on the edge of your seat.

That's how I used to remember Brighton.
Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here