Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WWE WrestleMania XXX

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
When you use steroids and get that large and defined you lose a lot of body fat, a lot of density in your ligaments and tendons, you lose a lot of water, and you put a huge amount of strain on your skeletal structure, joints and not least your heart. This is why wrestlers get injured so much, not because they are prancing about a sprung ring in tights, growling and jumping on each other's backs.

strange - one thing i thought about wrestlers is that although they are normally HUGE with MASSIVE muscles, barely any of them are that toned. i always thought that the 'bloated' look a lot of them has was down to steroids, but if it makes you lose water, obviously it doesnt

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
strange - one thing i thought about wrestlers is that although they are normally HUGE with MASSIVE muscles, barely any of them are that toned. i always thought that the 'bloated' look a lot of them has was down to steroids, but if it makes you lose water, obviously it doesnt

Entirely depends on the steroids, the cycles you take them in and of course, how one trains. The Ultimate Warrior, was weirdly swollen and cut. And dead.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wrestle fans are kidding themselves if they think a human can get that size, that definition and that ripped by eating healthily and training. You can't.

There has been a huge problem in pro wrestling surrounding steroid and other performance enhancing/recreational drugs in the past. However since the deaths of Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit the WWE have taken steps to tackle these problems and introduced a wellness program meaning their athletes have to take regular drug tests. The more dangerous moves like the piledriver have been banned, as have chair shots to the head.

A lot of Chris Benoit's problems were caused by the chair shots and his top rope flying headbut move that caused a lot of trauma to his brain. Despite being only 40 when he died, an autopsy report revealed his brain showed signs of damage that would normally be seen in 80 year old Alzheimer suffers.

A lot of wrestlers have been publicly suspended for violating the wellness policy, some even fired. It is having an effect, you only have to look at the likes of Randy Orton and Dave Batista to see they are a lot smaller than they previously were. In addition to this the WWE are promoting a lot smaller guys again, the likes of CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Miz are a lot smaller and less well developed than wrestlers that would have topped the cards in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

Nibble said:
When you use steroids and get that large and defined you lose a lot of body fat, a lot of density in your ligaments and tendons, you lose a lot of water, and you put a huge amount of strain on your skeletal structure, joints and not least your heart. This is why wrestlers get injured so much, not because they are prancing about a sprung ring in tights, growling and jumping on each other's backs.

Although part of what you wrote is true, the schedule these guys are working doesn't help. Pro Wrestlers perform 300+ nights a year and although it is scripted there is still a very physical aspect to it that means it does take a toll on the body.

There isn't the same high mortality rate among body builders who push their bodies beyond what pro wrestlers do when it comes to bulk, muscle size, definition etc, often they are abusing steroids as well, but they are not putting the same strain on their bodies through physical performance that it takes to be a pro wrestler. Their bodies take an extraordinary amount of punishment, although there is some padding to the ring there isn't an easy way to protect yourself and lessen the impact of jumping from the top rope.

People who don't follow wrestling or don't like it are very quick to call it fake and pretend fighting without bothering to actually understand their is a very real aspect to performing it, rather like their is a very real aspect to being a stunt man. Yes they try to control things, and it is scripted but you are still punishing your body and things can still go wrong.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Thankfully the stars of today aren't, for the most part, built like the Hogans and Ultimate Warriors. Still muscular but generally much leaner and more like, well, a person.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't assume people who like WWE are morons. I'm just intrigued to know if you do actually believe it's true?

Believe which bit is true? The characters, storylines and potrayed violence? Or that Ultimate Warrior died? For the first, no of course not, for the second, yes.

Regarding the steroid/health debate that's going on, yes, like anything that involves highly paid physical extertion there are bound to be skeletons in the closet and lines being crossed to the detriment of health or competition (NFL, cycling etc.).

That's not said as a way of accepting that it happens, it clearly shouldn't, but I think it sadly always will.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Fair enough, I presumed as it gets shown on Sky sports, it's classed as a sport.

But still, if you know it's not a sport and just an entertainment show, what makes a great Wrestler then? The people who script it?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
But still, if you know it's not a sport and just an entertainment show. What makes a great Wrestler then? The people who script it?

Technical ability in the ring, charisma on the mic and a good character/gimmick that gets the fans interested. You also need a great feud/storyline or match to 'breakout' and make everyone take notice.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Fair enough, I presumed as it gets shown on Sky sports, it's classed as a sport.

It gets shown on Sky 1 as well, but it's mostly on Sky Sports as it is 'sports entertainment' - a soap dressed up in a sporting environment - and it brings in an audience at times when there isn't anything to clash with it

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
charisma on the mic and a good character/gimmick that gets the fans interested. You also need a great feud/storyline or match to 'breakout' and make everyone take notice.

Does that mean Warren Aspinal would have a decent shot at being a WWE superstar?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Does that mean Warren Aspinal would have a decent shot at being a WWE superstar?

I'd LOVE to have WA on commentary.

"I can't believe that Hunk Horgan has just powerslunged Angus The Gigantor like that."

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
So if Wrestling is considered talented sport/entertainment. Would any of the Albion players (past and present) have any chance of making it in the WWE?

I always thought Jake Robinson could of made it in the WWE, sadly it seems he never had the Mic ability to make it. Where as Paul Samarah was a wizard on the mic but not so technical in the ring.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
So if Wrestling is considered talented sport/entertainment. Would any of the Albion players (past and present) have any chance of making it in the WWE?

I always thought Jake Robinson could of made it in the WWE, sadly it seems he never had the Mic ability to make it. Where as Paul Samarah was a wizard on the mic but not so technical in the ring.

Mark Mccammon would make a BRILLIANT wrestler. His gimmick could be he continuously calls people racist for little/no reason and Supermarket Trolley would be a wicked name for a wrestler.

Never really got the stick wrestling gets on here. You wouldn't label somebody a sad **** for enjoying films/T.V Shows. Hell, games like FIFA have scripting. It doesn't 100% effect the result, but it does have an impact. Never seen anybody on here call others names for liking FIFA though. :shrug:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Mark Mccammon would make a BRILLIANT wrestler. His gimmick could be he continuously calls people racist for little/no reason and Supermarket Trolley would be a wicked name for a wrestler.

Never really got the stick wrestling gets on here. You wouldn't label somebody a sad **** for enjoying films/T.V Shows. Hell, games like FIFA have scripting. It doesn't 100% effect the result, but it does have an impact. Never seen anybody on here call others names for liking FIFA though. :shrug

Michel Kuipers aka The Chef, would be a fans favourite straight away. He'd have his own line "can you smell what the Chef is cooking". He'd also have a Navy wrestling costume similar to a mankini which would guarentee a few ladies in the audience. The Chefs special move would be misskicking people in the nuts whilst wearing padded gloves.
How the hell did the WWE miss this one!?

Last edited:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
British Bulldog was a scrawny 10st weakling when he wrestled here, fast forward a few years and he looks ripped and huge, few years later he is dead
Ludvig Borga [Tony Halme] another one who passed away young to suicide down to drink and drugs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here