Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wrexham United?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The fact you’ve mistaken Wrexham’s new sponsor for a larger rival of theirs rather proves my point here, no?
Haha, yes, oops, a typo, but I think the same of United though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
F14410F1-250A-4ED5-B61B-7272616F1BB7.jpeg

:lolol:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Wrexham and the whole documentary/ted lassoo/ ****s can go and f*** themselves.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm just going to let you guys know that "cazzo" in Italian is probably the most common swearword (equivalent to "fu*k" in usage even though it literally means "co*k".) So when we Serie A fans see those teams like Aston Villa that have "CAZOO" (which would be pronounced as "cazoh!" in Italian - so like "fuuk!") as shirt sponsor, we usually have a laugh/crack some obvious puns :lolol:
Late 1990's Arsenal had "SEGA" on the front of their shirts, Sampdoria had the same sponsor, but they just had "Dreamcast" on their shirts I think.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Late 1990's Arsenal had "SEGA" on the front of their shirts, Sampdoria had the same sponsor, but they just had "Dreamcast" on their shirts I think.
Oh I didn't know about this sponsor change thing :lolol: For anyone who doesn't know, "sega" in Italian means both "saw" (as in the tool) and "wank". If someone yells "Sei una sega!", it means "You're a wanker! (more in the sense of a washout loser)". Although apparently the other 2 teams sponsored by SEGA in Spain and France both had Dreamcast as sponsor as well, despite "sega" not having that meaning in their language.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I have mixed feelings on Wrexham.

I really enjoy the documentary, big fan of McElhenney thanks to Always Sunny. Ryan Reynolds is someone that's quite difficult to dislike. And it's hard to not enjoy seeing so many Wrexham fans made happy by the whole thing.

But what they're doing is financial doping. They're not this plucky little team, succeeding against all odds. They outspent everyone in that division. It's the same as Pompey, Reading, Derby and countless other teams spending big to try and buy success.

I can understand the antagonism towards them.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
They’ve been ‘promoted’ as The Little Engine That Could.

But they’re not that at all, they’re a company with relatively unlimited resources that are affectively elbowing their way to front of the line.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I really enjoy the documentary, big fan of McElhenney thanks to Always Sunny. Ryan Reynolds is someone that's quite difficult to dislike. And it's hard to not enjoy seeing so many Wrexham fans made happy by the whole thing.

But what they're doing is financial doping. They're not this plucky little team, succeeding against all odds. They outspent everyone in that division. It's the same as Pompey, Reading, Derby and countless other teams spending big to try and buy success.

The three clubs you mention all broke existing financial rules and ended up with points deductions or sanctions.
Are you implying that Wrexham have done similar?

I'm not sure what your complaint is - the "bigger" clubs in any division will always start out with an advantage (and I don't think anybody would argue that Wrexham weren't one of the two biggest clubs in the National League last season).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The three clubs you mention all broke existing financial rules and ended up with points deductions or sanctions.
Are you implying that Wrexham have done similar?

I'm not sure what your complaint is - the "bigger" clubs in any division will always start out with an advantage (and I don't think anybody would argue that Wrexham weren't one of the two biggest clubs in the National League last season).
All I'm saying is this plucky little Wrexham tag is bollocks.

And that the documentary is very entertaining.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

No, they are not. And nor is anybody else. You have listed a lot of them later in the paragraph. Football went professional in the 19th century and every league has a wide range of budgets. The Wrexham owners were upfront about wanting to propel Wrexham up the pyramid because they could.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No, they are not. And nor is anybody else. You have listed a lot of them later in the paragraph. Football went professional in the 19th century and every league has a wide range of budgets. The Wrexham owners were upfront about wanting to propel Wrexham up the pyramid because they could.
See the other reply. They're buying success and selling it as this underdog story :shrug:

And the documentary is great. Fully enjoying it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here