Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wouldn't happen in Germany/censorship

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Tensions rise in Germany over handling of mass sexual assaults in Cologne

Police and media accused of cover-up to avoid stoking anti-immigrant feeling after witnesses say men who carried out attacks were of Arab appearance

A ferocious debate has erupted in Germany over the handling of mass sexual assaults and muggings carried out by groups of young immigrant males during New Year’s Eve celebrations in Cologne, amid accusations of a police and media cover-up over fears of whipping up anti-foreigner sentiment amid the migrant crisis.

About 100 complaints have now been made to police, two-thirds of which are linked to sexual assault, including two rapes.

Police in Hamburg, Stuttgart, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf have also reported similar incidents but on a smaller scale than Cologne, where between 500 and 1,000 men may have been involved in the attacks as revellers met outside the city’s Gothic cathedral to see in the new year.

The events have since come to dominate German media, but following a barrage of complaints on social media that the New Year’s Eve events were deliberately under-reported amid fears they would encourage anti-immigrant sentiment, Germany’s public broadcaster, ZDF, was forced to apologise for its decision not to report on the attacks until Tuesday, four days after they had occurred.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-handling-of-mass-sexual-assaults-in-cologne

Appalling and shocking events that should be reported and discussed on as many outlets as possible.

Thank goodness for social media giving a voice to issues that others seem desperate to suppress, sideline or downplay.

*Any resemblance to previous threads with similar titles is purely coincidental*

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
BBC were no better. Only really reporting it last night.

Oh and apparently we have to move GCSE exams to avoid Rammadam. What the hell is going on.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Oh and apparently we have to move GCSE exams to avoid Rammadam. What the hell is going on.

Social engineering hidden behind the banners of tolerance and diversity or rank stupidity are two possible explanations.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I wonder why you used the word "apparently" and didn't source the statement. Here's why. Because it's not true. Here's the link from the right leaning Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ay-to-fit-around-Ramadan-exam-boards-say.html

We don't HAVE to. However

"GCSE and A-level exams could be rejigged this summer to take into account the impact of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during daylight hours, the exam boards have said" (my emphasis).

The reason, it emerges towards the end, is because it is considered every year as part of a consultative process.

"In a statement, the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ), which represents exam boards, said it consults on the timetable every year and considers comments from a wide range of groups, including schools, colleges and faith groups." (my emphasis again).

However, it cannot be moved very far - "As the window available for students to sit papers is tight, exams would not be able to be delayed, but there is scope for movement within the regular schedule, it was suggested."

Of course if you have evidence that this will advantage Islamic students to the detriment of White English ones I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder why you used the word "apparently" and didn't source the statement. Here's why. Because it's not true. Here's the link from the right leaning Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ay-to-fit-around-Ramadan-exam-boards-say.html

We don't HAVE to. However

"GCSE and A-level exams could be rejigged this summer to take into account the impact of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during daylight hours, the exam boards have said" (my emphasis).

The reason, it emerges towards the end, is because it is considered every year as part of a consultative process.

"In a statement, the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ), which represents exam boards, said it consults on the timetable every year and considers comments from a wide range of groups, including schools, colleges and faith groups." (my emphasis again).

However, it cannot be moved very far - "As the window available for students to sit papers is tight, exams would not be able to be delayed, but there is scope for movement within the regular schedule, it was suggested."

Of course if you have evidence that this will advantage Islamic students to the detriment of White English ones I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

What was very interesting on BBC Breakfast this morning is that this move may not be permanent, but could be adjusted from year to year as the Islamic calender does not evolve around a 365 day year. So in one year exams could be in early May, the next in late May and another year in early June. And this could the be complicated further by the festival of Eid which also moves from our calender year to calender year and so could also impact the exam period.

Exactly how high should we jump, or bend over for that matter?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What was very interesting on BBC Breakfast this morning is that this move may not be permanent, but could be adjusted from year to year as the Islamic calender does not evolve around a 365 day year. So in one year exams could be in early May, the next in late May and another year in early June. And this could the be complicated further by the festival of Eid which also moves from our calender year to calender year and so could also impact the exam period.

Exactly how high should we jump, or bend over for that matter?
bend over and grab your ankles is the preferred position for the lefties/guinness boy when it comes to accomodating cultures other than our own.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
the Islamic calender does not evolve around a 365 day year?

So it's a bit like Easter then?

I manage to organise exams and assignments around that quite easily and have done so for years.

As an educator, do I want students to be disadvantaged from achieving academic success due to fasting as a result of their religious beliefs? No.

As an atheist, do I find the whole thing a load of bollocks? Yes.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
bend over and grab your ankles is the preferred position for the lefties/guinness boy when it comes to accomodating cultures other than our own.

You realise that we don't have an immovable culture in this country, right? If you look back at the last couple of thousand years, both the make-up and beliefs of our population has changed many, many times. We've gone from being Romans to Vikings to Normans to Germans etc etc etc.

I'd be interested to hear your absolute definition of our 'culture'.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You realise that we don't have an immovable culture in this country, right? If you look back at the last couple of thousand years, both the make-up and beliefs of our population has changed many, many times. We've gone from being Romans to Vikings to Normans to Germans etc etc etc.

Really , what have we gone from being in the last 1000 years since the norman conquest ? And just because our cultural / ethnic make up has changed in the past , anglo saxon/viking/norman does that necessarily mean any future , or indeed past , change was welcomed or beneficial ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
So it's a bit like Easter then?

I manage to organise exams and assignments around that quite easily and have done so for years.

As an educator, do I want students to be disadvantaged from achieving academic success due to fasting as a result of their religious beliefs? No.

As an atheist, do I find the whole thing a load of bollocks? Yes.

If changes can be accommodated without impacting on anything else, then no problem but sometimes people have to choose between their invisible friend and the real world.
My old guvnor used to complain about drinking on an empty stomach during Ramadan when we had a night out, cos he'd be 3 or 4 pints down by the time he could eat (he wasn't a very good muslim)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Really , what have we gone from being in the last 1000 years since the norman conquest ? And just because our cultural / ethnic make up has changed in the past , anglo saxon/viking/norman does that necessarily mean any future , or indeed past , change was welcomed or beneficial ?

My point is that the culture aways evolves - some changes are good, some changes are bad. But to condemn any accomodation of differing views or values is not the way forward.

The Islamist stance towards homosexuality, for instance, is something that is rightly challenged and condemned. But, for balance, homosexuality in this country was a capital offence until the 1860s. So to argue that 'our culture' has somehow always been superior to others is simply not true. It's evolved into what it is today through a mixture of different influences - many of which have come from abroad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

That change has been evolutionary not revolutionary and (1066 aside) has come as much from the people as from the establishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here