Would you welcome Glenn Murray back?

Would you welcome Glenn Murray back?

• Yes

Votes: 249 72.0%
  • Yes, but only if he clapped

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 13.9%
  • It's the Summer - I can't think about this stuff right now. Please come back in August

Votes: 22 6.4%

• Total voters

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC

The Albion have been reasonably creative in bringing experienced Prem players like Kuszchak and Upson on modest fees. Plus some decent Prem loanees, probably the most successful being Wayne Bridge who was allegedly on £100k pw at Man C but we did a shrewd deal to pay a tenth of that. He showed tremendous commitment too rather than just rest on his wallet. We certainly got the best out of him compared to his stint for Reading. Stephen Ward may have been in a similar position, supposedly on silly wages at Wolves who were happy to let us subsidise him.
Indeed, hence it's odd that people are still so negative. However, despite how creative the signings were, it seems that the Poyet years when many of them were made, were too expensive for the bean counters.

It seems quite clear that the club now favours a more patient approach of signing cheaper, low profile options in the hope that they will 'bloom'. Poyet did have this luxury when building from League One. A number of his players were allowed to grow with him. It seems he, your last manager, and a number of your fans aren't willing to exercise this patience. Perhaps the new appointment will buy into the philosophy, whatever it is, and not have a hissy fit at the end of the season. (Unless Bloom is misrepresenting his ambition and the means with which he promises to fulfill it, in which case he is being naughty).

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I reckon he is better than Ulloa, so definitely a yes

Should never have been let go in the first place

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why not?, new manager, new season, clean slate. and maybe whoever takes over will want to play two up front. Besides will we be able to keep Ulloa?

Because both of them are too similar and neither are blessed with devastating pace. For me it would be one or the other.

Assuming Ulloa gets some decent service this year, and as a team, we actually try to get more than one man in the box, Ulloa could have a great year.

then we wouldn't mention Murray anymore.........

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The man is an unspeakable Judas but would be rendered wonderful in a heartbeat if he signed up for us again.

Palace disease is fortunately a temporary ailment. I was obliged to dislike Holloway while he managed them but now that he has left I find that I enjoy his buffoonery once more. That Mr. Coppell was a lovely fella once he saw the light.

And so on and so on...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure anyone would match his wages, so perhaps he'll go out on loan at a cut price.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Indeed, hence it's odd that people are still so negative. However, despite how creative the signings were, it seems that the Poyet years when many of them were made, were too expensive for the bean counters.

It seems quite clear that the club now favours a more patient approach of signing cheaper, low profile options in the hope that they will 'bloom'. Poyet did have this luxury when building from League One. A number of his players were allowed to grow with him. It seems he, your last manager, and a number of your fans aren't willing to exercise this patience. Perhaps the new appointment will buy into the philosophy, whatever it is, and not have a hissy fit at the end of the season. (Unless Bloom is misrepresenting his ambition and the means with which he promises to fulfill it, in which case he is being naughty).

Don't overlook the simple constraints of living within the tightening parameters of FFP. Poyet clearly didn't fancy the harsh reality of that. A number of fans aren't able to accept it either because it means a more frugal but maybe sustainable future, without spraying money around on transfer fees and wages. There is probably far too much emphasis on getting to and staying in the Prem, and for financial more than football reasons.

That takes us back to my earlier point about the artificial financial existence under a Prem windfall (and under parachute payments for that matter) and the more responsible approach of Clubs operating much closer to their true natural income. Clubs like the Albion will have to innovate including how they conduct transfer business, hence we have chosen to back out of deals and settle for taking on more loanees than you would otherwise choose.

On the plus side necessity has also allowed us to blood youngsters. This contrasts to Poyet who was not a great exponent of youth either, so out of touch with the future direction of football within FFP. The Albion will have to place greater emphasis on home grown talent and Tony Bloom has had the foresight to build a state of the art training complex. It will take a while for young talent to rise to the surface but thanks to Oscar they have a couple of good role models who are now at England U-21 level. Hopefully we can establish a similar conveyor belt of talent as Southampton etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The common denominator between Pulis and Redknapp is spending money without any regard of the consequences.

What? No, no it's not.

Pulis is many things, but he's no Redknapp.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Wonder if you guys will look at Speroni if he doesn't sign a new deal at Palace. He is 35 soon but would serve you very well for a couple of years, Would want to stay local as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wonder if you guys will look at Speroni if he doesn't sign a new deal at Palace. He is 35 soon but would serve you very well for a couple of years, Would want to stay local as well.

I'd be happy with that.

Give him a hot bath in one of the fancy new Albion-tiled baths at the swanky training ground, and he'll have soon forgotten he ever played for Palace.

Get him in.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

I would love Speroni here. Forget about his age, he would easily be one of, if not the best goalkeeper in the Championship

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I remember the first two seasons for uss and didnt like him at all!! only put effort in the third season and tbf he was good but we need to move on and we could do better

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely surplus to requirements up the road with all their gazillions of pounds. He still lives locally, loves the Albion and never wanted to leave in the first place.

So, if a deal was struck, would you be happy?

(Note: I have no information to suggest this is any way likely at all)

Yes I'd be happy to see him back here but I'm not sure he LOVES the Albion????

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
what's league 1???

It's a league where the same four teams don't win it year in, year out, where any dog on his day can beat any other dog, a league where you can stand and watch football in many venues, where the attendees are fans of the two clubs involved are not day trippers there just to see Rio Ferdinand or Gus Caesar or Andy Carroll in the flesh, a league getting by a million miles away from the obscene money in The Premiership that doesn't benefit anyone outside of the elite, but you, as you admit, wouldn't know anything about Leagues One or Two would you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here