Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you welcome Glenn Murray back?

• Yes

Votes: 249 72.0%
  • Yes, but only if he clapped

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 13.9%
  • It's the Summer - I can't think about this stuff right now. Please come back in August

Votes: 22 6.4%

• Total voters

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think you're in denial buddy. Our squad of players is vastly superior to yours

Hahaha, this is brilliant. Ignoring the fact you spunked loads in the summer with Holloway, law of averages, that a few of them will be better. You've used your money from the promotion to improve your squad.

Not the brightest spark, are you?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What if, say, Leo left and Murray and Bobby both came back? Both strikers are fully fit and still have the summer to further recharge.

Personally, I'd sell Leo and look to bring in Joe Cole, Bobby and Murray. Players like Ince, March, Stephens can do the running around for them.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Hahaha, this is brilliant. Ignoring the fact you spunked loads in the summer with Holloway, law of averages, that a few of them will be better. You've used your money from the promotion to improve your squad.

Not the brightest spark, are you?
Holloway's made a number of signings that would fare rather favorably in your squad. Some not so good, who have subsequently left, and Pulis signed Dann, Hennessey, Ledley and Ince, all of whom might stand a chance of sneaking a place in the Brighton squad. Add to this the likes of Speroni, Jedinak, Bolasie, Ward, and Delaney who were at the club the prior season, and there perhaps could be some validity towards the antithesis of your staunch argument.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Much sensible stuff, except there is little point in hypothetically deducting the PL windfall, especially with regards to Pulis's transfer pot and the possibility of it turning Palace into the next Pompey. Even less point in applying a PL windfall to Brighton's.

However, in the event that TP's demands would, in the view of our owners, present too much of a risk to the club's ongoing financial security, I would be in favour of the parting of the ways so gleefully alluded to by the earlier poster in question should Pulis be unwilling to budge.

No doubt Murray or Zamora could do a job for us - if they remain injury free. Given our experience last season I suspect we would think twice about signing anyone with a recent injury record.

However in the context of this poll: no, we should not welcome back Murray or Zamora purely because I suspect we cannot afford them. Plus there's no guarantee that either would be on the new managers shopping list either.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What if, say, Leo left and Murray and Bobby both came back? Both strikers are fully fit and still have the summer to further recharge.

Personally, I'd sell Leo and look to bring in Joe Cole, Bobby and Murray. Players like Ince, March, Stephens can do the running around for them.

Cool lets buy some players that are slightly passed it and cant run very fast anymore because the young ones in midfield can do all the running !!

I want a quick speedy fast striker not an over the hill old boy.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Holloway's made a number of signings that would fare rather favorably in your squad. Some not so good, who have subsequently left, and Pulis signed Dann, Hennessey, Ledley and Ince, all of whom might stand a chance of sneaking a place in the Brighton squad. Add to this the likes of Speroni, Jedinak, Bolasie, Ward, and Delaney who were at the club the prior season, and there perhaps could be some validity towards the antithesis of your staunch argument.

This. Bannan, Guedioura, Campana, Mariappa and Gayle, all Holloway signings, would walk into Brightons first team.

Edit: silly me, I also forgot Chamackh who has been superb and the reason behind my Username (see what I did there!)

Last edited:

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
No doubt Murray or Zamora could do a job for us - if they remain injury free. Given our experience last season I suspect we would think twice about signing anyone with a recent injury record.

However in the context of this poll: no, we should not welcome back Murray or Zamora purely because I suspect we cannot afford them. Plus there's no guarantee that either would be on the new managers shopping list either.
I was very surprised that the previous policy at Brighton was to have a separate pot for wages and transfer budgets. With some creative deal making, it is possible to attract a player on higher wages if the transfer outlay is low or non existent. It is, after all the reason why you lost Murray and signed CMS in the first place. Murray would probably command a transfer fee and therefore be out of the question, however there are a number of players at clubs who are desperate to offload players on high wages for no fee and are willing to subsidise their wages. We signed Chamakh in this way, and I'm sure Dann took a weekly pay cut to sign for us, but with the incentive of a longer term deal.

I am not sure how Zamora fits into this, but say, £1m in wages for one season could be more realistic than signing a lesser player for £750000 on modest wages over three years. Depends on the club's long term strategy I suppose. One thig Brighton do seem to have done well with is selling players on at a profit or at least for what they've paid, so they would probably favour the latter option as Zamora would most likely have little sell on value.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cool lets buy some players that are slightly passed it and cant run very fast anymore because the young ones in midfield can do all the running !!

I want a quick speedy fast striker not an over the hill old boy.

Players like Kevin Phillips, Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Darius Henderson have all scored plenty in this division having been on the wrong side of 30. As for being passed it, I seem to recall Vicente lighting the place up.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Murray 100% fit giving a 110% is probably one of the best in championship. So if fit and fully committed then of course welcome him back. Maybe he would need to say sorry for, well you know. Actually come to think about it, I'm not sure I do want him back. If he said sorry and maybe cried then yes.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Players like Kevin Phillips, Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Darius Henderson have all scored plenty in this division having been on the wrong side of 30. As for being passed it, I seem to recall Vicente lighting the place up.

Phillips was an exceptional professional, and no doubt fitter on the day he retired than a number of players in their twenties. Murray does seem to be of the same ilk.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Yes.....but he'd need to not only clap. He'd Also need to confess to being on LSD when he signed for Palarse, say how much he hated it there and say how wonderful it was to now breath lovely fresh air and enjoy playing in front of more supporters. :smile:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Haven't read this entire thread (just off to work) imagine a squad with Ulloa, CMS and Murray as your strikers, fit for a entire season. That would rape this division.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I understand that and actually voted yes to have him back, but we need young blood and I would love to see some young whipper snapper scaring the shizzer outta full backs.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I was very surprised that the previous policy at Brighton was to have a separate pot for wages and transfer budgets. With some creative deal making, it is possible to attract a player on higher wages if the transfer outlay is low or non existent. It is, after all the reason why you lost Murray and signed CMS in the first place. Murray would probably command a transfer fee and therefore be out of the question, however there are a number of players at clubs who are desperate to offload players on high wages for no fee and are willing to subsidise their wages. We signed Chamakh in this way, and I'm sure Dann took a weekly pay cut to sign for us, but with the incentive of a longer term deal.

I am not sure how Zamora fits into this, but say, £1m in wages for one season could be more realistic than signing a lesser player for £750000 on modest wages over three years. Depends on the club's long term strategy I suppose. One thig Brighton do seem to have done well with is selling players on at a profit or at least for what they've paid, so they would probably favour the latter option as Zamora would most likely have little sell on value.

The Albion have been reasonably creative in bringing experienced Prem players like Kuszchak and Upson on modest fees. Plus some decent Prem loanees, probably the most successful being Wayne Bridge who was allegedly on £100k pw at Man C but we did a shrewd deal to pay a tenth of that. He showed tremendous commitment too rather than just rest on his wallet. We certainly got the best out of him compared to his stint for Reading. Stephen Ward may have been in a similar position, supposedly on silly wages at Wolves who were happy to let us subsidise him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports