Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst TV "comedy" ever?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'The Wright Way' which is probably the unfunniest thing I have ever seen.
Birds of a Feather.
Still Open All Hours.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My first thought was 'Two Pints Of Lager..' 9 series!!!???

However, I think you have to consider whether you are the target audience for sitcoms. With 'Two Pints' I definitely wasn't, as I wasn't a teenager. I really don't like 'Mrs Brown's Boys', but have to accept that, what it intends to do, it does very well. However, whilst some people laugh at it, what they intend to do just irritates me, just like 'Some Mothers Do Have 'Em'. 'Miranda' is similar. I watched an episode when it first started and thought it was awful, but when I watched it again with my kids, I came to understand what it was doing and who it was aimed at. I ended up enjoying their enjoyment of it and laughing at it because I liked the fun the cast were having. It reminded me of loving 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' when I was nine.

I hated 'Friends' because everyone else was watching it and saying how brilliant it was, but very few people seemed to be laughing. For me it was the most obvious example of American sitcom's habit of abandoning reality, character development and plot just to up the random joke tally. Once you notice that the characters are just saying things to set up the next joke, you cannot un-notice it and you just sit waiting with gritted teeth for the next obviously written gag. Lee Mack's 'Not Going Out' is the worst British example.

There are endless bad sitcoms, most of them made by ITV, but the BBC have had some howlers too. Most seem to have ended up bad because of bad writing, or ideas that got compromised, as shown in the show within a show in 'Extras.'

This leads me to my choice. Ricky Gervais had made 'The Office', which was brilliant and 'Extras' which was clever and funny. Seeing what he is capable of it is hard to forgive him for making 'Derek' a nasty, manipulative, exploitative and patronising show which tried to excuse its central portrayal of a character with special needs through cardboard bad guys, unbelievable plots and token old people for him to show his 'kindness'. A thread on a comedy snob's website that I read, but don't contribute to summed it up for me: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,41535.0.html. I have friends who liked it and I know some of you will have liked it, even been moved by it. Good luck to you. You lack cynicism. I would suggest that you don't click the link. It reflects the Oscar Wilde view that 'One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing.'

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What a dreadful call.

The only programme that's made me want to kick the TV. I do apologise if that's upset a few but I think Mrs Brown's boys is hilarious. Some on here don't and that's what it's all about.

If anyone says Father Ted, I may kick off though. My friend Bwian reminds me of Bishop Len Brennan.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm trying to think of the last good comedy the BBC managed to turn out...possibly Coupling, but even then that became unfunny in the last series.

Without wishing to derail the thread I think that's a tad harsh. A couple of recent ones, albeit not on BBC1, Touchstone 42 and Cradle to the Grave I thought were very good.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The only programme that's made me want to kick the TV. I do apologise if that's upset a few but I think Mrs Brown's boys is hilarious. Some on here don't and that's what it's all about.

If anyone says Father Ted, I may kick off though. My friend Bwian reminds me of Bishop Len Brennan.

Stupid caaaa.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
"My Family" I quite enjoyed - the episode where the Kris Marshall character was trying to chat up a French Girl "on line" made me laugh - particularly the "...you've outed our son as a Lesbian!" line.

Suprised that the steaming turd that is "Outnumbered" hasn't featured on here.

BTW I quite like "Miranda" (gets coat, changes user name, hides).

...Just remember - worst TV comdedy I have ever seen was the American version (one of several I believe) of "Fawlty Towers" - the aptly named "Payne". Transcended dire.

Think you might have a done a wrong en here :) Openly admitting to liking two of the shows with most votes on this thread to being awful. Each to their own.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"My Family" I quite enjoyed - the episode where the Kris Marshall character was trying to chat up a French Girl "on line" made me laugh - particularly the "...you've outed our son as a Lesbian!" line.

Suprised that the steaming turd that is "Outnumbered" hasn't featured on here.

BTW I quite like "Miranda" (gets coat, changes user name, hides).

...Just remember - worst TV comdedy I have ever seen was the American version (one of several I believe) of "Fawlty Towers" - the aptly named "Payne". Transcended dire.

Outnumbered had its moments. Compared to My Family it was Python crossed with Father Ted.

No, there are three very clear favourites for this title and everyone is all over them. Citizen Khan, Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys. How anyone can sit through more than two minutes is completely beyond me (though I agree there are some women who like Miranda. One of my wife's closest friends is otherwise sophisticated and funny herself and yet insists on telling Facebook how brilliant Miranda is). Of the older ones Terry and June seemed utterly mirthless when I was a kid, My dad would sit there watching it without laughing once because the alternative was Coronation St or a documentary about icebergs (kids these days have no idea how bad it was only having three channels). Ditto "Sorry" that thing with Ronnie Corbett where the only joke appeared to be a posh woman saying "language Timothy".

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Outnumbered had its moments. Compared to My Family it was Python crossed with Father Ted.

No, there are three very clear favourites for this title and everyone is all over them. Citizen Khan, Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys. How anyone can sit through more than two minutes is completely beyond me (though I agree there are some women who like Miranda. One of my wife's closest friends is otherwise sophisticated and funny herself and yet insists on telling Facebook how brilliant Miranda is). Of the older ones Terry and June seemed utterly mirthless when I was a kid, My dad would sit there watching it without laughing once because the alternative was Coronation St or a documentary about icebergs (kids these days have no idea how bad it was only having three channels). Ditto "Sorry" that thing with Ronnie Corbett where the only joke appeared to be a posh woman saying "language Timothy".

Outnumbered is quality entertainment imo. "Sorry" too is something I initially disliked but it grew on me as my mother used to force us to watch it. Timothy's mum was, apparently, exactly the same as her mother. I now realise that she was exactly like Timothy's mum as well. Oh the irony.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I guess we all have different tasted but glad to see that Mrs Brown's Boys is getting a few votes. Utter gash!

May I also nominate Allo Allo and Last of The Summer Wine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here