Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worst player, in context, to debase the stripes

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Worst ever for me has to be Ashley Neal. Clearly been given a chance in football thanks to his dad but he played like someone had put his feet on the wrong legs.

EDIT: Just re-read the criteria.....not sure he made 10 appearances. Still the worst player I've seen in a Brighton shirt though.

Pound for pound worse ever for me might be a controversial one......CMS. Dreadful from pretty much day one. Was given far too much of a chance because at the time it was like Poyet had pulled off a masterstroke signing him. He did score a few goals early on, had floppy hair and seemed like a nice chap so was given a far too easy ride. Was no surprise to see him drop through the leagues like a stone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worst ever for me has to be Ashley Neal. Clearly been given a chance in football thanks to his dad but he played like someone had put his feet on the wrong legs.

EDIT: Just re-read the criteria.....not sure he made 10 appearances. Still the worst player I've seen in a Brighton shirt though.

Pound for pound worse ever for me might be a controversial one......CMS. Dreadful from pretty much day one. Was given far too much of a chance because at the time it was like Poyet had pulled off a masterstroke signing him. He did score a few goals early on, had floppy hair and seemed like a nice chap so was given a far too easy ride. Was no surprise to see him drop through the leagues like a stone.

Harsh on CMS. Yes his goalscoring return was a massive disappointment, given that he was banging them in for fun in L1 at Peterborough. I don't think there was anyone who wasn't excited when he arrived, but he just could not make the step-up to Championship level. Probably missed his mate George Boyd tee-ing him up as well, they both had a telepathic understanding. He did score a few crackers, but sadly when he had time to think about it, he showed all the composure of a man with his trousers on fire.

But nobody who put the hard yards in like CMS did every game could ever be described as debasing the stripes. He does not belong on this thread, imo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We used to call him "The Hologram" where I sat. Every shot on goal just seemed to pass through him.

Our keeper in my ex-pat team in Taipei was a Cardiff lad known to everyone as The Sieve for similar reasons. He even had "Sieve 1" on his match kit :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Our keeper in my ex-pat team in Taipei was a Cardiff lad known to everyone as The Sieve for similar reasons. He even had "Sieve 1" on his match kit :lol:

:lolol:

Almost akin to the refs in the SPL being sponsored by Specsavers. That still gives me a chuckle.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Harsh on CMS. Yes his goalscoring return was a massive disappointment, given that he was banging them in for fun in L1 at Peterborough. I don't think there was anyone who wasn't excited when he arrived, but he just could not make the step-up to Championship level. Probably missed his mate George Boyd tee-ing him up as well, they both had a telepathic understanding. He did score a few crackers, but sadly when he had time to think about it, he showed all the composure of a man with his trousers on fire.

But nobody who put the hard yards in like CMS did every game could ever be described as debasing the stripes. He does not belong on this thread, imo.

I was one of those VERY excited about his arrival. Didn't last long when I saw him play hence why I think he does belong on this thread. I'm not questioning his effort which was always a positive. It was just everything else that went with it wasn't up to scratch.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

It's controversial because it's utterly ludicrous. One of the silliest things I've read on here.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I was one of those VERY excited about his arrival. Didn't last long when I saw him play hence why I think he does belong on this thread. I'm not questioning his effort which was always a positive. It was just everything else that went with it wasn't up to scratch.
He (CMS) very much like Hoskins, were never the same after their serious injuries,... CMS away at Bristol City I think,.. both of them seem to have lost that speed of thought and action that they did have until the injury.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
yeh I wouldn't disagree with any of that. It's certainly true that after we got promoted to the Championship he got sussed out a bit I think- only managed a handful of goals and eventually got shifted out to the wing which pissed him off

even in the play off promotion season where he scored a lot of goals, I seem to remember his form tailing off towards the end of the season and him nearly being dropped for the play offs

Bit harsh imo, especially when we were in the Championship.

We reverted to a very defensive set up and ended up with him being very isolated up front, and our tactic was to hit it high and long towards the shortest player on the pitch whilst they were easily outnumbered by defenders.

Not sure it's right to then blame the player for a tactical failure by the manager

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Another vote for Savage excited by him coming but got the ball passed it back never did anything to progress the game and he had the skill. I always thought he was just improving his Optima stats (or whatever their called!) to get a better placement somewhere else. CMS seemed genuine nice guy, tried hard and as far as I'm concerned that good enough for me, more our mistake than his!!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Robert Codner

I remember there was a perfect minutes silence at the Goldstone until someone shouted “ **** off Codner”

Harsh! 266 appearances and 39 goals suggests he was doing something right (or are you basing this purely on his off-field business activities?! :))

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Harsh! 266 appearances and 39 goals suggests he was doing something right (or are you basing this purely on his off-field business activities?! :))

Agreed. Codner could sometimes be a bit of a stroller when he didn't fancy it, but there was no doubting his quality. He absolutely DESTROYED Millwall in the Playoffs, and could certainly teach Lallana a thing or two about finishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here