Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worst player, in context, to debase the stripes

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
We used to call him "The Hologram" where I sat. Every shot on goal just seemed to pass through him.

I never boo our own players, I never feel the need, but this lucky man, is the only player and have physically got out of my seat and booed him off the pitch.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Paul Kitson

Not a bad player as such, just spent the season injured and took up a decent wage whilst doing it when the budget was tight.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Locadia may have been a (really) terrible signing but to say he was our worst player is mad, even in context. We signed Percy effing Tau in that same year.

I think Gary Gardner could be a shout. What a dosser, dumped by Hughton immediately.
Actual permanent player, is without a doubt Kemy Agustien, he really took the piss out of us for two whole seasons.
[tweet]591590377410404352[/tweet]

Last edited:

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Chuba Akpom
QUOTE=Icy Gull;10353172]Winner for me because he was the closest I’ve come to booing an Albion player. Piss taker extraordinaire, zero effort every time I saw him on the pitch, which fortunately was not that often.
[/QUOTE]
Totally agree.
So how come he is now impressing Chris Wilder(of all people) at Middlesborough.
I know he has had a spell on loan in Greece, but it is more like he has been on the road to Damascus!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not a player, as plenty candidates have been mentioned, but someone else who debased the stripes……Brian Clough.
A big headed piss taker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jason Dodd was worse. He arrived, played a couple of games, and then had a bad back for the rest of the season. What a waste of money.

I played cricket with Jason Dodd last summer, and we had a chat about his time at the Albion.

He was due to retire when his contract with Saints expired. Mark McGhee rang him and he says he wasn't really keen, but MM talked him into signing for a year. He lives by Guy Butters and they travelled down together for training, so he thought that would work.

But he struggled with injury right from the start, and was fed up with the travelling. He knew we were not getting value for what we were paying him, and just a month or so into the season he went to see MM and DK and offered to cancel his contract, because he didn't feel right taking the money, when he wasn't able to give of his best.

The club turned him down and insisted he see through the whole season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I played cricket with Jason Dodd last summer, and we had a chat about his time at the Albion.

He was due to retire when his contract with Saints expired. Mark McGhee rang him and he says he wasn't really keen, but MM talked him into signing for a year. He lives by Guy Butters and they travelled down together for training, so he thought that would work.

But he struggled with injury right from the start, and was fed up with the travelling. He knew we were not getting value for what we were paying him, and just a month or so into the season he went to see MM and DK and offered to cancel his contract, because he didn't feel right taking the money, when he wasn't able to give of his best.

The club turned him down and insisted he see through the whole season.

Fair comment, although I overheard him at the Sponsors' dinner being quite disrespectful to those of us that were there. Butts looked embarrassed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Coca-Cola kid, ok it wasn't our money but a wasted talent, and as seen in his return at the Amex an awful attitude.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Leon Knight.

I know he scored goals and there was a reasonable Championship level striker there, but his general attitude and personality absolutely stink the place out even now.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
As others have said, hard to think of anyone who put in less effort than Akpom and Best. However my vote goes to Graeme Smith. He came to us as “ a future Scottish international goalkeeper” which I suppose should have been a warning. He tried hard but I heard that on average for us he conceded a goal every 15 minutes - that may be wrong but not far out ( Huddersfield 1-7 and other interesting score lines). I remember he was in goal for one of the sides in the 6-6 draw between Hibs and Motherwell which is well worth watching on you tube.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
As others have said, hard to think of anyone who put in less effort than Akpom and Best. However my vote goes to Graeme Smith. He came to us as “ a future Scottish international goalkeeper” which I suppose should have been a warning. He tried hard but I heard that on average for us he conceded a goal every 15 minutes - that may be wrong but not far out ( Huddersfield 1-7 and other interesting score lines). I remember he was in goal for one of the sides in the 6-6 draw between Hibs and Motherwell which is well worth watching on you tube.

I don’t ever remember any other keeper being chipped when he was on his line

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This question has been asked so many times and it’s all about relativity.

Locadia is the only logical answer if you’re going for value, the guy was the ultimate waster.

Money>Return wise he’s definitely the worst.

We’ve had loads of players who haven’t given a s**t but at least most of those were cheap or loans, it’s all about context really… Savage was absolutely useless and you could clearly see he had no interest but again, compared to Locadia’s cost and lack of interest it doesn’t even get close.

And then there’s the ultimate crap players like Colin Hawkins (bless him) Paynter and Chris Holroyd (who I’m convinced was actually a 12 year old)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
£100k for my boy Federico Turienzo was a massive sum for us at the time and anyone that saw him play on trial against Lewes would have been stunned that we went on to sign him

6 games and on the losing team each time. Completely overwhelmed by the physicality of English football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here