[NSC] Worst albion player you can remember

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It’s interesting this one, I’m focusing (this time, as this crops up quite regularly) on players who were (in my opinion) not great yet seemed to play every week without fail:
Andrew Whing, had his supporters - he was awful in my book, tried hard but suffered from a chronic lack of tangible ability.

Whing won player of the season with 77% of the vote in the great escape season under Salde FFS. He obviously wasn't the most gifted footballer but to suggest he is one of our worst ever players is outrageous.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Tiltman or Leon Best for me. Best is worse because he should have been half decent if he could have been bothered.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Best was one of the worst

I agree. Can't remember a played more disinterested and strolling around the pitch like he's just come back from the pub Sunday lunch. And the gets all upset when the fans get on his back.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Leon Best, Kemy Agustien, Ryan Harley, Paddy McCourt - All fit into "the technically quite good but couldn't be bother to try a leg" category
Chuba Akpom - Basically the sub that Hughton used to say "this game is over" - Never looked like scoring, ever
Chris Holroyd - Looked like someone had put a shirt on a 12-year-old and told him to go and play with the bigger boys only to come home crying later because they'd taken his ball away
Chris Dickinson - Looked like someone had put a shirt on a wardrobe and paid it enormous wages to do... something. Whatever is was, it wasn't football

Nowhere near as bad as some who played for us in the 90's but at least most of those players (even if terrible) tried as hard as they could.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Akpom - lucky to be in a great Albion team heading for promotion, he was a lazy with an attitude that stunk. In the end, I remember him getting deserved booing and facing vitriol in an Amex game.

Obika and others were rubbish, but at least they tried.

Obika was a tryer and I do believe I remember him scoring in the cup away at Port Vale. Think he then went on to do okay...ish at Swindon.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Chuba Akpom must be up (down) there

The only player in a Brighton shirt that I have actually booed during a match.

There have almost certainly been worse players many of them with far less skill and natural ability. But they tried. Even Best tried.

And there's your problem with loanees from big clubs. We have got lucky with plenty of loanees over the years but we have had some shockers too. Akpom is the only one that just couldn't give a shit and put no effort in whatsoever. (Tbf that Wilson lad from Man Utd never bust a gut either)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did Silky Dave score against us after we'd let him go, or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Yes pretty sure he did for Lincoln at Lincoln and he was very happy to do so. That bloody air raid siren made it even worse. He may even have got two?

Wasn’t he the player Alan Cork called “useless” after one of his Albion games?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Andy Petterson, Ken Goodeve, Glen Thomas, Bernard Gallacher but for me the worst was Alex Sheridan. Almost the complete squad of the two years at Gillingham would deserve a mention though.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Whing won player of the season with 77% of the vote in the great escape season under Salde FFS. He obviously wasn't the most gifted footballer but to suggest he is one of our worst ever players is outrageous.

He was great at those last ditch crowd pleasing tackles, you know - the ones he had to make as he was ALWAYS out of position... winning player of the season based on slide tackles in some achievement however ... he was always running too, which pleased a lot of people too, again - he had to as his positional sense was diabolical... he was absolutely awful with the ball and it took Gus no time at all to recognise the massive weak link his gut busting yet deceptively atrocious ‘defensive’ displays wrought... I seem to recall he ‘excelled’ in our 7- something hammering under Slade the following season.

Measured by effort he was okay, by ability he was and remains one of the worst professional footballers I’ve ever watched - ever.

Although I doubt you’ll agree... lol.

As I said, it’s entirely subjective ... that’s what makes football so interesting, and why it stirs the passions so.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Robbie Savage - total c**t

I can forgive players for being utterly useless, I can’t forgive big wages, big I am attitudes AND being utter shit.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Yes pretty sure he did for Lincoln at Lincoln and he was very happy to do so. That bloody air raid siren made it even worse. He may even have got two?

Wasn’t he the player Alan Cork called “useless” after one of his Albion games?

Yes, Cork did call him useless after he was subbed just 20mins into the game. Mickey Adams backed Corky up and that was Davy done.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Darren Hughes. Signed by Mullery from Shrewsbury on the strength of a good performance against us. He was shite in every game, then was sold to Port Vale and played against us in the very next game. Needless to say, he was brilliant and scored the winner. .

But he did score against Palace (1987) which has to be worth a ‘get out of jail free’ card surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports