Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Albion match day?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Losing 3-0 to Pompey at Fratton in the (then) uncovered away end circa 1989. It absolutely PISSED down and I mean real heavy rain. Dont even think we had a shot on goal.

Being at Elland Road at the day of Hillsborough and having to put up with the Leeds fans cheering as the were announcing the death toll at the ground. We lost 1-0 not that it mattered.

Seriously?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Swindon 1977. Pissed down all day as we tried to lose 4-0 before the referee took sympathy, intervened, and abandoned the match. Got home to a very sober message from a mate that there had been a car accident and the lad I had been drinking with at lunchtime was dead!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep remember it well. Tannoy announcement "and there has been an incident at Hillsborough, not sure on the details but understand there have been 20 or 30 fatalities".

Leeds fans : Hurrah! We hate scousers, and we hate scousers etc.

Then of course the death toll starts creeping up. Followed by a massive cheer each time "and we hate scousers" etc.

Got to about 60 reported deaths by the time the game finished.

My one and only visit to Elland Road.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
That day at Leeds was awful, bearing in mind we had to drive back down the M1 past Sheffield, 5 miles or so from the ground at Hillsbrough.. Whereas on the way up there were many coaches queueing to get off the motorway at Sheffield, going back home there seemed only stragglers coming past us. One could only think that some of them now had empty seats in.The irony was at Leeds, we had the whole of the 'cow shed' end, and I had actually sat on the terraces during the game to one side of the goal as it was so empty. Not so in Leppings Lane.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Watched on TV.
Anyone remember a Bermondsey ferile chav & bad loser, jumping on classy John Robinson's back trying to attack him, mid-game?

I do remember that! I seem to remember that he caught him quite bad.
Also remember in first leg a few of their fans jumping around in the north stand
When they scored!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Watched on TV.
Anyone remember a Bermondsey ferile chav & bad loser, jumping on classy John Robinson's back trying to attack him, mid-game?

Pretty sure that was at the start of the following season. Mark Beeney legged it 50yds to sort the little pr*ck out. Wasn't Beeney an ex-copper?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I hate mancs, but weeds united are sic in my humble opinion.
However, the worst has to be the 1983 cup final replay. Skipped of work early and made my way up to london on the thursday. Got a little lost, and managed to get a cab from somewhere in NE London. I remember me and a m8 paying about 40 quid to get there in a taxi (Lot of money at the time). Then managing a very quick for pints in a pub before the game. Then nearing half time, I think wilkins had just scored the 3rd, we disappeared to the bar. beer was a massive .....£1 a pint, so we, both armed with a fiver blew our money and sat outside the bar on the steps between some pillars. Having, I kid you not dru nk the 5 pints in about 15 minutes we were refused entry. I kicked the piller with big DM and shouted a lot. This surprisingly worked and they let us back in.
Somehow managed to get on at tube and took off the DM. One big, black, green, purple toe. being pissed I did not see my mate throw aforementioned DM out of the tube.
At victoria, hopping around on on foot, whilst missing DM, very drunk and not happy.
On the way home got pulled by an elderly lady (I was 17) and seduced at her home somewhere in Haywards heath. Then, ending up sleeping in the station car park. Dodged the ticket back to Brighton, where I was arrested for looking dangerous and perhaps having a bad / bloody foot. Taken to Worthing Hospital who put a cast on.
Then three days later, having made a date with a nurse at the hospital, saw off the caste so that I could attend the pub disco (Roundstone Pub EP) with aforementioned nurse.
Returned to the doctor , looking ashamed who had me removed as I had wasted his time.
Not a game to be forgotten easily.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Losing 4-0 to Darlington at "home" to Gillingham. Remember leaving that day asking myself "why do I do this?".

Because it gets better, of course.

This one stung, but it was enjoyable watching a great display from Marco (score every time I play against Brighton) Gabbiandini.

I'll plump for a 3-1 "home" defeat to Scunny at Gillingham. I went up with a mate of mine who was an Irons fan. I had a feeling we might lose but the first half performance was so abject I f***ed off down the boozer at half time. My god they were shite in those days.

5-1 at home to Stoke was also on another level of shit. That was the day that the writing was finally on the wall for Magoo.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Love all your fantastic but horrible stories. The great times we're experiencing now, we can look back and wince with a smile and look forward to the future with hope and optimism. And it's because we've suffered more than most fans that we can help Plymouth and others in the same position.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yep remember it well. Tannoy announcement "and there has been an incident at Hillsborough, not sure on the details but understand there have been 20 or 30 fatalities".

Leeds fans : Hurrah! We hate scousers, and we hate scousers etc.

Then of course the death toll starts creeping up. Followed by a massive cheer each time "and we hate scousers" etc.

Got to about 60 reported deaths by the time the game finished.

My one and only visit to Elland Road.

My god. That's one of the most disgusting things I've ever read on here.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Chesterfield Away. Pure shit. Their fans, the sending off of Charlie for nothing, their goal in the last minute. Brighton Idiots fighting (by mistake) eachother, and I got thrown over a wall.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know Dickinson was SHIT but dont take his goal away from him. 7-1

How could I forget? :facepalm:

Or the fact that Graeme Smith actually saved a penalty too. That night was just genius: it wasn't even one of those ones where you could say everything they hit went in. Think they hit the woodwork at least two or three times. It could and probably should have been twelve.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
losing to that team with 9 men 1-0, forget who against...

Was that only 3 years ago? It feels like a lifetime now. Other games I recall with dread were the FA cup game against Mansfield, the 3-0 defeat away at Millwall on Boxing Day and the 1-0 defeat at Stoke where the nearest we came to having a shot was Rougier hitting the corner flag.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
How could I forget? :facepalm:

Or the fact that Graeme Smith actually saved a penalty too. That night was just genius: it wasn't even one of those ones where you could say everything they hit went in. Think they hit the woodwork at least two or three times. It could and probably should have been twelve.

It was this by far by far by far. El-Abd's hopeless back pass leading to FDM being sent off. I remember being so confident we would win 3-1 on the way up there.

Still had a long time on the way home to eat my words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here