Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Saudi Arabia 2034 - official thread

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
disagree with the sentiment, the Qatar world cup was amazing and all the criticism beforehand was over the top and unjustified

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
disagree with the sentiment, the Qatar world cup was amazing and all the criticism beforehand was over the top and unjustified
A pretty shite WC

The only legacy is will more deaths taking down all those stadiums only used a handful of times

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wasn't arsed about it before and I certainly won't be when it gets awarded to the sand-botherers.

But I'm sure the eventual decision will be above board and not open to any accusations of a likeness to previous incarnations of FIFA...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is only possible because they gave Africa, Europe and South America the 2030 World Cup combined.

Did you think they gave 4 games to 4 South American nations out of kindness?

It was to sort of meet the requirement to give the WC to the different continents in rotation.

It's a proper stitch up. Money talks and sportswashing works. Disgusting

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
A proper stand needs to be made with country’s supporters boycotting en masse. However when that happens that will free up tickets and then some clueless arse’ol will say to them self “I’m ‘aving some of that” and the whole boycott thing will be brushed under the carpet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is only possible because they gave Africa, Europe and South America the 2030 World Cup combined.

Did you think they gave 4 games to 4 South American nations out of kindness?

It was to sort of meet the requirement to give the WC to the different continents in rotation.

It's a proper stitch up. Money talks and sportswashing works. Disgusting
The South American nations are considered hosts. The first four games being played there are being done so under the guise of celebrating the centenary of the first World Cup in 1930, which was held in Uruguay. I think the opening fixture will be played in Montevideo.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Fifa will try and convince it was a purely footballing decision. No really......

money.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sadly, I predicted this on the Albion Roar last time I was on and it's really not surprising in the least.

At best there might be a further liberalising of the country. Will they have special alcohol zones like Qatar? What will the attitude to female visitors be? What about beer companies sponsorship?

No, it's not a lot but at the 'opening ceremony' before the Fury fight. one of the performers was a female rapper who performed with head and arms uncovered. Conservative by our standards but it would have been unthinkable there even 20 years ago.

They can go one of two ways in the next 11 years. They can make the place a little more acceptable to the majority of their visitors or they can bump off thousands of migrant workers and any dissenting voice. Sadly, I know which way I think they'll go.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It’s all so depressing.
Sport is being swallowed up by oil money and there does not seem anything that can be done about it. Was listening to a podcast with Eddie Hearn he was quite open about it, why would 2 British fighters fight at Wembley and earn £20 mill when then can go to Saudi and earn £100 mill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here