Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Saudi Arabia 2034 - official thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wonder how much money changed hands to make Australia withdraw from the bidding process?
I don't think money exchanged hands, Australia know FIFA are corrupt, why waste their energy when you know there will only be one winner.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
You're all thinking about this wrong. This isn't the 2034 World Cup in a brutal, oppressive and theocratic regime. It's the 2034 World Cup in Jordan Henderson's utopia of equality, tolerance and inclusion.

I'm sure he'll be done by then...

_13748548-0532-407d-abf8-a3b2c2ab9402.jpg

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I could not give less of a shite about international football, so this decision won't affect any plans I had for the tournament, but we all know what's going to happen.

Loads of 'outrage' and frothing at the gash from people.
Talk of proposed boycotts, human rights issues and FA's making a stand against stuff

If it means this then I'm now Pro Saudi 2034.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Think people on this thread are being harsh on Saudi Arabia, or more specifically the people of Saudi Arabia.

Unlike Qatar, it IS a footballing nation that has participated in a fair few World Cups.

You may not like the way the country is run - but the vast majority of the Saudi Arabian football fans have done nothing wrong, and deserve a World Cup as much as anyone else.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Think people on this thread are being harsh on Saudi Arabia, or more specifically the people of Saudi Arabia.

Unlike Qatar, it IS a footballing nation that has participated in a fair few World Cups.

You may not like the way the country is run - but the vast majority of the Saudi Arabian football fans have done nothing wrong, and deserve a World Cup as much as anyone else.

I was about to post something similar. Saudi Arabia as a football country definitely deserves a World Cup. Saudi Arabia has won the Asian Cup three times and been runner up another three times. Along with Japan and South Korea, that makes them one of Asia's three most successful national sides.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You're right. I'm sure everything about the process was completely above board and that FIFA took all of that history onboard when they decided to change the rules at the last minute to virtually ensure that the sand-botherers were effectively the only option. You only have to look at what impact the arrival of megastars has done to attendances in Saudi league games to know that the residents literally live and breath football over there. Good for them.

Definitely NOTHING to do with the vast sums of money within the country. An organisation as squeaky clean as FIFA would be sure to steer WELL clear of any kind of potential controversy. ???

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
You're right. I'm sure everything about the process was completely above board and that FIFA took all of that history onboard when they decided to change the rules at the last minute to virtually ensure that the sand-botherers were effectively the only option. You only have to look at what impact the arrival of megastars has done to attendances in Saudi league games to know that the residents literally live and breath football over there. Good for them.

Definitely NOTHING to do with the vast sums of money within the country. An organisation as squeaky clean as FIFA would be sure to steer WELL clear of any kind of potential controversy. ???

I think there is a lot of conspiracy theorising going on with a lot of you lot.

Hosting a World Cup is VERY expensive, and all hosts can expect to lose a lot of money and often be left with redundant stadia and facilities. Like the Olympics, it's often worth it for international relations and prestige, along side a domestic patriotic boost, which is why anyone bothers.

In all probability, Australia backed out because they were not willing to compete with the project that Saudi Arabia are putting forward. They will spend a LOT of money on some fantastic stadiums and facilities.

There might be some bribery and backhanders amongst individuals somewhere in FIFA, but saying that is the sole reason is entirely just conspiracy theory.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In all probability, Australia backed out because they were not willing to compete with the project that Saudi Arabia are putting forward.

... they realised they had zero chance given Infantino has his head up Saudi Arabia's arse.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Who couldve guessed Infantino is just a bald Blatter? Watch the Netflix doc on them if you haven't already, Fifa is beyond rotten and has been designed so that there's always 'one of their own' ready to take over.
Its well worth a watch, so corrupt

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think there is a lot of conspiracy theorising going on with a lot of you lot.

Hosting a World Cup is VERY expensive, and all hosts can expect to lose a lot of money and often be left with redundant stadia and facilities. Like the Olympics, it's often worth it for international relations and prestige, along side a domestic patriotic boost, which is why anyone bothers.

In all probability, Australia backed out because they were not willing to compete with the project that Saudi Arabia are putting forward. They will spend a LOT of money on some fantastic stadiums and facilities.

There might be some bribery and backhanders amongst individuals somewhere in FIFA, but saying that is the sole reason is entirely just conspiracy theory.
Where's the conspiracy? FIFA is doing in plain sight!

From that article: 'Previously, FIFA has required potential World Cup hosts to have seven existing stadiums that meet its capacity standards. But for 2034, FIFA has lowered that number to four — the exact number of suitable stadiums currently in Saudi Arabia or under construction. That includes a new stadium that will open ahead of the 2027 Asian Football Confederation Cup.'

Ooh, I wonder why they decided to make a change to the rules LESS THAN A MONTH before the bid submission deadline...

I'm sure Australia MIGHT have baulked at the costs of stadiums, but that's no reason to not at least put a bid in. Saudi will build 'fantastic stadiums and facilities' – for what? Just like Qatar, they'll be useless when everyone facks off after the tournament. The only difference being that the oil-rich countries can afford to just get rid and write off the money.

And just to be clear: I NEVER mentioned 'bribery and backhanders'. Nor that any such financial shenanigans was the 'sole reason' in giving the WC to SA. That was your own doing – and you've inadvertently admitted that such dodgy dealing probably takes place. So who's the conspiracy theorist now?

But sure, you take heart from the fact that this decision was taken 100% for footballing reasons :thumbsup:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The only surprise is that China weren’t in the running. Aren’t they warmongering and corrupt enough for FIFA? Seemingly not. President Xi - take a good long hard look at yourself son, even FIFA think you are too nice to host a (FIFA) World Cup!

Maybe they are waiting to absorb/annex/invade Taiwan before they put the the formal bid in.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We should join Italy's club and just boycott World Cups from now on. Nobody has really criticised them for it, either.

The problem is if too many want to boycott as subtely, we might have some "interesting" games, with Maguire coming into his own with own goals aplenty.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where's the conspiracy? FIFA is doing in plain sight!

From that article: 'Previously, FIFA has required potential World Cup hosts to have seven existing stadiums that meet its capacity standards. But for 2034, FIFA has lowered that number to four — the exact number of suitable stadiums currently in Saudi Arabia or under construction. That includes a new stadium that will open ahead of the 2027 Asian Football Confederation Cup.'

Ooh, I wonder why they decided to make a change to the rules LESS THAN A MONTH before the bid submission deadline...

I'm sure Australia MIGHT have baulked at the costs of stadiums, but that's no reason to not at least put a bid in. Saudi will build 'fantastic stadiums and facilities' – for what? Just like Qatar, they'll be useless when everyone facks off after the tournament. The only difference being that the oil-rich countries can afford to just get rid and write off the money.

And just to be clear: I NEVER mentioned 'bribery and backhanders'. Nor that any such financial shenanigans was the 'sole reason' in giving the WC to SA. That was your own doing – and you've inadvertently admitted that such dodgy dealing probably takes place. So who's the conspiracy theorist now?

But sure, you take heart from the fact that this decision was taken 100% for footballing reasons :thumbsup:
Australia also bailed on the Commonwealth Games AFTER being awarded them. Probably just as well they aren’t going to waste everyone’s time again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here