Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Twenty One... Time for the boys to do us proud.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've seen a clip of this supposed penalty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fouls conceded on the outside of the area called free kicks or has this rule been updated recently?
It clearly carried on inside the area, as all the replays have shown.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I don’t get the we played well, we were OK at best.

The contained us with ease and after we scored upped it another level
Exactly. When we equalised it was the time for us to push on. Instead, France responded and were the better team until they scored their second. Fair result, although overall a good game. We've had an easy path to this stage as we have in two previous tournaments. When it comes to the crunch, we just aren't good enough. The Sterling substitution was mystifying.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Missed the match as I was at work. For my sins, I was listening to a bit of 606 on the drive home. Switched off after a short while, as Sutton and Savage is altogether too much at the best of times, let alone after we’ve had our quadrennial kick in the nuts.

Just before I switched over there was a call from a guy who was complaining about Kane being captain, as he’s a “serial loser”. The predictable backlash from the presenters masked the fact there’s a germ of a point there. Ideally, the national side would be captained by a player who has experience of winning silverware, even if only with their domestic club. Tonight’s match has demonstrated just how fine the margins can be. Would tonight’s match have ended differently with a captain who’d experienced getting over the finish line in the past? We’ll never know but it’s an interesting point for discussion.

I’m concerned the recent reflex seems to have been that the England captain is the poster boy that gets the goals. First Rooney. Now Kane. Is there something to be said for the captain being a midfield workhorse? Experience and a central position in the park might just offer a better reading of the game than what we have right now.

Anyway, it’s a point of view. Feel free to shoot it down. I’m frankly crap when it comes to tactics and the wider game. I like watching what’s in front of me but I’m happy to admit my understanding of the finer points is utterly amateurish.

Bother! Now have to sit through the rest of the tournament when I just want the proper season to get going again.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Missed the match as I was at work. For my sins, I was listening to a bit of 606 on the drive home. Switched off after a short while, as Sutton and Savage is altogether too much at the best of times, let alone after we’ve had our quadrennial kick in the nuts.

Just before I switched over there was a call from a guy who was complaining about Kane being captain, as he’s a “serial loser”. The predictable backlash from the presenters masked the fact there’s a germ of a point there. Ideally, the national side would be captained by a player who has experience of winning silverware, even if only with their domestic club. Tonight’s match has demonstrated just how fine the margins can be. Would tonight’s match have ended differently with a captain who’d experienced getting over the finish line in the past? We’ll never know but it’s an interesting point for discussion.

I’m concerned the recent reflex seems to have been that the England captain is the poster boy that gets the goals. First Rooney. Now Kane. Is there something to be said for the captain being a midfield workhorse? Experience and a central position in the park might just offer a better reading of the game than what we have right now.

Anyway, it’s a point of view. Feel free to shoot it down. I’m frankly crap when it comes to tactics and the wider game. I like watching what’s in front of me but I’m happy to admit my understanding of the finer points is utterly amateurish.

Bother! Now have to sit through the rest of the tournament when I just want the proper season to get going again.
I agree with you on the captain, i want the forward to concentrate on scoring goals, not organising the team. A captain shiuld be a midfield player imo.

Maybe a different captain would have stopped Kane taking the second penalty.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

I didn't think the ref was great but ultimately it was three moments of quality/non quality that cost us. The strike for the first goal, the cross for the second and Kane channeling Waddle on the second penalty.

I'm sure there are plenty of smug pricks all over this thread but I have no intention of reading it, just needed somewhere to get my basic thoughts out.

f***! f***ing football how does it still manage to do this to you?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

I didn't think the ref was great but ultimately it was three moments of quality/non quality that cost us. The strike for the first goal, the cross for the second and Kane channeling Waddle on the second penalty.

I'm sure there are plenty of smug pricks all over this thread but I have no intention of reading it, just needed somewhere to get my basic thoughts out.

f***! f***ing football how does it still manage to do this to you?!
Yep, all of this. Came down to them being able to finish from 25 yards and Kane not being able to from 12.

We were the better side and the ref was all but paid off. Now watch Morocco get all the decisions in the semi. Them and their fans in the final would be an Infantino wet dream.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I can see the validity to his point. As much as it pains me to say this, perhaps Jordan Henderson would have been a good candidate, he was giving it absolutely everything last night.
Ah well, the beauty of hindsight eh.

Jimmy Grimble

Then the foul is outside the box. :shrug:
Happy to be corrected on this but I always thought the rule was if contact carried on into the penalty area then it’s a penalty. I actually remember us winning a penalty through Lua Lua at Fulham away in similar circumstances.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yep, all of this. Came down to them being able to finish from 25 yards and Kane not being able to from 12.

We were the better side and the ref was all but paid off. Now watch Morocco get all the decisions in the semi. Them and their fans in the final would be an Infantino wet dream.
I wouldn't mind Morocco getting to the final at all. I've really enjoyed watching them in the games/halves that I've seen. It might even help to get them/North Africa a world cup, which I think would be an amazing one. I think they've applied for 2030. I've penciled in an England quarter final loss to Argentina. It must be their turn by then to knock us out again...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Happy to be corrected on this but I always thought the rule was if contact carried on into the penalty area then it’s a penalty. I actually remember us winning a penalty through Lua Lua at Fulham away in similar circumstances.
Fair point. I’d need to re-review the incident. I can’t remember the exact details. At the time I was sure the foul was outside the box. I really cannot remember how long the foul went on for and whether it went into the box or not. I’m sure someone can post a slow mo video from Twitter.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Solly conceded a penalty against Saints in this way two seasons ago.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
more than a germ, the energy dropped after the penalty miss. Kane didnt brush himself down and crack on to make amends, rally the players and fire them up. his running seemed to stop and body language was of defeat. dont need to be some who has won lots, just some one who doesnt drop their leadership in face of disappointment when its needed the most.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
How many shots on target forced Hugo into a save, or was a real chance?

2?

Always think shots/shots on target can be a miss leading stat.
We missed the chances, i agree shots on target is a mis leading stat. At the end of the day against the top teams if you dont put them away you run the risk of losing. I thought GS made the subs too late, nit sure if Saka was injured, if not would have kept him on.

Comming into this world cup, we have been poor in the new Fifa competition. QF loss to the world champions who know they were second best for most of the game but they took the chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here