Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Four

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think what we’ve learnt from this tournament so far is it’s not just UK VAR officials that are totally incompetent.

It’s blatant, that kind of thing literally changed the course of the game and potentially Canadas World Cup.
It’s a shame really, as I remember thinking that at its inaugural rollout at the 2018 World Cup it worked really well (despite my reservations), only for us to make a hash of it when we imported it to the Premier League.

In my opinion, if it can’t consistently get decisions like that right then it should be used very sparingly, only in the most blatant of circumstances - hand of God, ghost goal type scenarios. The idea that VAR would make officiating infallible was a pipe dream - in its current form it is merely creating new problems.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s a shame really, as I remember thinking that at its inaugural rollout at the 2018 World Cup it worked really well (despite my reservations), only for us to make a hash of it when we imported it to the Premier League.

In my opinion, if it can’t consistently get decisions like that right then it should be used very sparingly, only in the most blatant of circumstances - hand of God, ghost goal type scenarios. The idea that VAR would make officiating infallible was a pipe dream - in its current form it is merely creating new problems.
Yep, and it’s the same old issue that certain VAR officials will see things differently to other VAR officials - as usual, football is a game of opinions and one team of referees from Africa might have slightly different tolerances to those from South America, there’s so many variables

Two different people can look at the same incident 20 times and still disagree, that’s football, and to be honest I used to find it much more tolerable just dealing with one individual on the pitch making an error than I do this farcical VAR officiating.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Watching Canada they actually remind me a lot of us, not just the wasting chances but the actual set up, they commit a lot of players to the press and leave defenders 1v1 vs attackers for long balls… very impressive setup to see an international team try

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Here comes Leo...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd like to see Trossard do well, but equally, Canada deserve at least a point from this game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have we ever had a World Cup goal scored by a player at Brighton at the time? Struggling to think of one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here