Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup coverage

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course we sometimes follow up things which appear on North Stand Chat, and I would like to see us being more upfront about it when we do (although contrary to popular belief, Andy Naylor doesn't get all his stories from here!). Forums and other social media are just a new way of speaking to readers, and we would be stupid not to take advantage of it, particularly for stories like this. It would be the equivalent of reporters at the turn of the century refusing to use the telephone.

:clap:

All seems fair enough to me. As Jo says, they are right to keep an eye on forums for news / rumours / as an indication of public opinion, and they'd be wrong not too.

She is also to be applauded though for her view that they should be more up-front about it, which is why she started this thread.

Be NICE to her, people.....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We would like nothing more than to be able to do this - but sadly, we don't have the budget to be able to. As we said in the article where we exposed the alleged fraud, we ran the competition with BYT in good faith. Once we were aware of the problem with the competition tickets, we also went to some lengths to do our own investigation into the firm. And of course, we will ensure we continue to cover this case as it progresses through the justice system.

Fair play for your response and I appreciate that the online Argus department were not responsible for this.

However, it is clear that the Argus needed to do more than enter into that competition in good faith. There was a need for due diligence which didn't take place. As many in the Argus online forum pointed out, it was a recently incorporated company with no history or background and couldn't accept credit cards unless via paypal (which indicates a lack of faith in banks to given them a card operating licence). The irony is that there was an investigation after the event which if done before could have avoided this. You may not have the budget but what about the increased sales that the way the competition was run, were trying to encourage.

Having placed competitions in various national and daily newspapers (usually via agencies), I know the details that were asked for in advance (even by the Argus in times gone by) - and we're a FTSE 100 Plc. Just one third of the detail in those requests would have discovered this problem. I can only assume that little or no checks were done and for that the paper is culpable.

As I said, I appreciate it's not your fault but it is the fault of the company you represent and to now see talk of special world cup coverage when one reader has had their world cup hopes and dreams raised and cruelly dashed leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is this what they call investigative journalism these days?!

I have bought a new telly, does that count?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to the PUB to watch the matches if I'm not working, is this NEWS?

Attachments

• newspaper.jpg
    newspaper.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 53

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here