Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup coverage

Jo Wadsworth

Editor, Brighton and Hove News
Apr 30, 2009
Brighton
Hello,

We're planning our World Cup coverage, and as we want to make it as relevant locally as possible, we're asking for your help.

Firstly, we want to highlight anyone who's going the extra mile to support England (or if you're not English, or are particularly perverse, whichever team you do support).

If you're doing something unusual, or if you spot any really wacky houses or cars, it would be fantastic if you could let us know.

We're also wanting to get in touch with anyone who is going out who might be interested in letting us know how they get along - whether it's to talk to our reporters, to write a blog, to send us back photographs, or anything else you think readers might be interested in.

And of course, if there's anything you'd like to see us doing, please let us know. All suggestions welcome (as long as they're clean).

You can get in touch by emailing jo.wadsworth@theargus.co.uk or naomi.loomes@theargus.co.uk, by messaging me here, or by calling me on 01273 544 775. If you're on Twitter, I'm also @BrightonArgusJo.

Many thanks,

Jo Wadsworth
web editor
The Argus - News, Sport, Brighton and Hove Albion and Entertainment for Brighton, Hove and Sussex

P.S. Please don't eat me alive ;)

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Firstly, we want to highlight anyone who's going the extra mile to support England (or if you're not English, or are particularly perverse, whichever team you do support).

Danny Seagull's your man.

:thumbsup:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
One idea would be to get the person who won the argus 'competition' out to South Africa as promised in your 'partnership' with BYT.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The Albion have got into the World Cup Finals? Marvellous Scenes!
(I know I should have paid more attention last season but hey, I tried to make up for it with the posh biscuits)

We're planning our World Cup coverage, and as we want to make it as relevant locally as possible, we're asking for your help.
I love all this "local relevance" stuff.

My favourite example of all time is the coverage in the Argus of the death, in 1978, of the first President of independent Kenya, a man who was universally recognised as a giant of African politics, with as many enemies throughout the world as he had friends.

The Argus story began with this sentence ... Former Sussex agricultural labourer, Jomo Kenyatta, died yesterday.

Brilliant. Man gets holiday job when he was a student and, 40 years later, he dies.

Let's have a feast of this stuff during the World Cup.

"New Zealand resident with cousin in Hollingdean disappointed by goalless draw".

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The fact is that local newspapers have suffered massive budget cuts and editorial staff numbers have been slashed. The Argus made so many good journalists redundant and now rely mainly on young, trainee journos. The likes of Phil Mills and Adam Trimingham were the lifeblood of the Argus but have gone. Andy Naylor must be their longest serving and highest paid journo now - and rightly so. He does a good job.

I don't blame the Argus for looking to forums like this for input. I don't think this woman deserves abuse for her request. Either we support our local paper or we don't. I bet, like me, you all read it on line. I don't buy it but I don't see the big deal in them being upfront in trying to generate some stories through NSC.

Jo Wadsworth

Apr 30, 2009
Brighton
One idea would be to get the person who won the argus 'competition' out to South Africa as promised in your 'partnership' with BYT.

We would like nothing more than to be able to do this - but sadly, we don't have the budget to be able to. As we said in the article where we exposed the alleged fraud, we ran the competition with BYT in good faith. Once we were aware of the problem with the competition tickets, we also went to some lengths to do our own investigation into the firm. And of course, we will ensure we continue to cover this case as it progresses through the justice system.

Jo Wadsworth

Apr 30, 2009
Brighton
I love all this "local relevance" stuff.

My favourite example of all time is the coverage in the Argus of the death, in 1978, of the first President of independent Kenya, a man who was universally recognised as a giant of African politics, with as many enemies throughout the world as he had friends.

The Argus story began with this sentence ... Former Sussex agricultural labourer, Jomo Kenyatta, died yesterday.

Brilliant. Man gets holiday job when he was a student and, 40 years later, he dies.

Let's have a feast of this stuff during the World Cup.

"New Zealand resident with cousin in Hollingdean disappointed by goalless draw".

I'll do you a deal - if you can find me a New Zealand resident with a cousin in Hollingdean disappointed by a goalless draw, then I'll run the story online ;)

Of course we sometimes follow up things which appear on North Stand Chat, and I would like to see us being more upfront about it when we do (although contrary to popular belief, Andy Naylor doesn't get all his stories from here!). Forums and other social media are just a new way of speaking to readers, and we would be stupid not to take advantage of it, particularly for stories like this. It would be the equivalent of reporters at the turn of the century refusing to use the telephone.

Oscar - thanks for your kind words. One thing though - Adam Trimingham still writes for us, every Wednesday on page 8.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I'll do you a deal - if you can find me a New Zealand resident with a cousin in Hollingdean disappointed by a goalless draw, then I'll run the story online ;)

Of course we sometimes follow up things which appear on North Stand Chat, and I would like to see us being more upfront about it when we do (although contrary to popular belief, Andy Naylor doesn't get all his stories from here!). Forums and other social media are just a new way of speaking to readers, and we would be stupid not to take advantage of it, particularly for stories like this. It would be the equivalent of reporters at the turn of the century refusing to use the telephone.

Oscar - thanks for your kind words. One thing though - Adam Trimingham still writes for us, every Wednesday on page 8.

Failing that , how about an Australian resident with an aunt
in Kemp Town absolutely delighted by a 2-1 win ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm going the extra mile, infact 6000 of them to get to South Africa ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here