Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Work’s Christmas Do’s

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Interesting mix of experiences. Our firm (small, only c 40 staff) is privately owned and the boss invites everyone plus partners to a pub do, picks up the bar tab all night and a 4 course dinner plus pays for taxis for everyone to get home safely. Everyone goes and has a great night out. Nothing negative at all!
I like this idea. Involving partners (probably the only time in the year) is a great move and keeps it “honest”. Sounds like a good boss.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Got mine at the Amex tomorrow night.
Have to say, the people I work with are brilliant and I can't wait to have a few sherbets with them.
I got the general manager as my secret Santa so no dildos, butt plugs or "I'm a c**t" mug for her.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm a grinch. Forced fun shite. I've pulled out of the main one and will take some cringe pipe strengthening meds in advance of my department one.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What about office decorations? Do they cause a meltdown, and do all the middle aged women down tools, get a coffee and stare in admiration as gym addict Carl, wearing tight strides leaps from desk to desk fixing the tinsel, quickly followed by an All Staff email on H&S?

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A few years back I worked on a giant IT project in Beckenham. A large number of offshore graduates had been drafted into the project, first time in the UK for many of them. Young Indian lad on our team had Secret Santa explained to him. He drew Bernadette, a fierce Irish lady. Indian lad's knowledge of UK Christian names was understandably patchy. Plus we worked on a different part of the project from Bernadette, so he didn't know her. However, he DID know that the guy with the big moustache who ran the deli across the the road was called Bernard. So young Indian guy put two and two together and... Bernadette was WAY less than happy to receive a shaving kit in front of about ninety people :xmas:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Got mine tomorrow and we’ve all had to pay £20 for it, it should be a good piss up though. My company is quite a lot of over 50 male trainspotters, so it could all be done and dusted by 7. It’s next to London Bridge station and my quench for poor quality football has made me notice it’s only a 10 minute journey to Charlton v Cheltenham, so might just end up there.
I hope it's not the Brewdog. £20 will get you two drinks and half a sandwich.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Ain't no party like a Financial Services party.
All the Christmas stuff I've done has been with a bridges and rail engineering team in Sheffield.
Imagine a load of men, aged between 16 and 65, who like beer, pool and... well that's it.
It's my vibe exactly.
I'm in an office now full of environmental consultant types. I'm slightly concerned they might expect me to have "fun".
Also my plan for the evening hinges on either baling early or staying out in Leeds until the first train back at 4:30am.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I hope it's not the Brewdog. £20 will get you two drinks and half a sandwich.
No the mad hatter, there seems to be a food order, and I often have a taste for the special dietry requirement food, so will probably ruin that. If they wanted kosher food, they should have made it so tast that I would eat it all.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
What about office decorations? Do they cause a meltdown, and do all the middle aged women down tools, get a coffee and stare in admiration as gym addict Carl, wearing tight strides leaps from desk to desk fixing the tinsel, quickly followed by an All Staff email on H&S?
Christmas decorations, HMS Gloucester 1986. Every mess was given £25 to decorate their mess at Christmas. Captains' rounds were organised so he could see the decorations in each mess. When he got to our mess, he was surprised to see a scabby little tree on top of the telly and not much else. He said to the leading hand of the mess, "Doesn't look like £25 worth of decorations here LRO Smith" to which Smudge replied, "We ate them sir". We'd had a mess party the night before and it all got a bit messy, crepe paper leaves stains around your lips that doesn't come off for a while!!! The skipper just shook his head and walked away...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All the Christmas stuff I've done has been with a bridges and rail engineering team in Sheffield.
Imagine a load of men, aged between 16 and 65, who like beer, pool and... well that's it.
It's my vibe exactly.
I'm in an office now full of environmental consultant types. I'm slightly concerned they might expect me to have "fun".
Also my plan for the evening hinges on either baling early or staying out in Leeds until the first train back at 4:30am.
What could possibly go wrong......

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Personal Work Christmas Party highlights came when I was at World of Books.

There was a bloke there called Mental Jake (not to his face, he was huge)who used to crush and sniff his anti-psychotic medication. One year he got kicked out quite early on in the night and when we left a few hours later he was curled up asleep next to a quite clearly agitated homeless man in a nearby doorway. Took the focus of our workmate who had just been punched in the face for no reason at the party.

Mainly I’m just glad that it trumped how bad I was the year before. I’d been out since midday for a mates birthday, ran home at 8 to get changed and headed over to the party. I was so drunk it took me hours to notice my shirt was on inside out. There’s a large blank spot in my memory of the night, but I remember realising I was in a house with a group of lads I didn’t recognise with a dog on my lap. I just got up and left without saying a word, only to discover I had no idea where I was. Ended up stumbling across West Worthing station, sadly it was 4am so I just laid on the floor defeated until the first train turned up.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm not going on our Christmas do the other bloke who worked here got the sack last week so it would be a bit dull when pass the parcel started, however I shall be partaking in other people's festivities in town,Welsh people are very friendly after 5 pints and generally forget who they are let alone who they've invited to the Christmas bash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here