Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Work’s Christmas Do’s

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Got mine on Tuesday in London, Christmas Jumpers and Secret Santa and a decent meal. The whole company works from home so this is a way to catch up face to face so should be fun to see everyone again!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The wildest:

L&G do’s were amazing eg in Busby’s, a place upstairs in Middle Street. Midweek …. vast amounts of liquor and antics.
Also, some builders daytime do’s in pubs in Peacehaven and Rottingdean were great fun, unspeakable drinking games and silliness. Then stepping out into daylight after 12 pints, with the rest of society sober.

The guaranteed dull non-event every year:

Organised by my former narcissistic boss/general cnt. The weirdo loathed people being happy per se, ever, or merrily drunk. So he chose quiet venues, often a drive away, so that many folk couldn’t have a drink. He and his sad public school fag wingman would memorise anyone loosening up and speak about it forever after. It was an easy decision to stop attending those.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think a lot depends on your colleagues.
Absolutely

I’m lucky to get on really well with all my work colleagues and the organisation is great at having social events - we genuinely all get on and most of us enjoy the staff social stuff. During lockdown, and last year, we did a virtual Christmas Quiz party (and weekly virtual quizzes).

THE WORST

A place I was working at in the 2000s - chain of businesses, management booked an obligatory corporate Christmas dinner and music at the Ramada Hotel for the entire staff (except them!) - jeez, the food was seriously crap - tinned tomato soup for starters with a white ‘plastic’ bread bap, frozen, chewy veg, constituted dry turkey roll, undercooked stuffing followed by melted vanilla ice cream with a Mr Kipling mince pie! The whole ballroom was done out like a frozen grotto with pale blue lightening if nobody was actually ill after eating the food, they certainly looked it under the pale icy blue glow of lanterns and tinsel. When the ’disco’ DJ started after dinner with chart hit from the 70s, I dragged all our crew out of there and took them to the Old Orleans bar for a great R&B night where we got utterly shit faced and danced all night. Turned out to be best work night out ever.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My first official Christmas do in 15 years next week. I’ve not been at the new job long so I’m looking forward to seeing people in a social setting. Just keeping it to our team rather than the whole company which is good. They’ve picked a decent restaurant and I’m rather looking forward to it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mine’s in London on a rail strike day and we can’t change it.

Also, I’ve correctly used the apostrophes in telling you that.

:moo:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Mine’s in London on a rail strike day and we can’t change it.

Also, I’ve correctly used the apostrophes in telling you that.

:moo:
Do’s in thread title doesn’t require an apostrophe but it didn’t look right as Dos

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of the best things about retiring is not having to put up with the over-organised, over-hyped, over-priced BS and everything that goes with the ‘office Christmas do’. Our former combined Compliance/Legal/Risk ‘do’ (3-400 staff in London alone] used to fully occupy all of the PAs from each function for fully 4 months. Our financial contribution was determined by grade (whether you were attending or not) and at least a week before the event we’d get a military-style list of things to read from dress code, to the times of arrival, departure and everything in between, the agenda ‘on arrival, guests will be entitled to ONE glass of Prosecco’……..etc, seating plan, menu, start and finish times of whatever shite entertainment had been laid on and so on. Oh, and the levels of EXCITEMENT in the office from a handful of people for about a month beforehand…… :shootself It was also usually around the end of November because that was cheaper:facepalm:

Nearer to Christmas some of us would have a much less formal thing at a nearby bar and simply organise a load of drinks and food with a single phone call and get bladdered. Infinitely more enjoyable - so much so all of us that left and a few select remainers are meeting in Town to do exactly that in a couple of weeks.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Badly organised piss up at the brewery. I won't bother.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
My company is only 12 people. Christmas lunch booked for next Thursday in a nice pub. It’s half a day of eating and drinking on the company’s time. Also being a small company with a good founder we all get along pretty well.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It’s that time. Who’s having one? Excuses for not going? Party games? Secret Santa? Will Crisps make an appearance? Drunken stories?

“Stand up if you hate HR” still makes me smile

Let’s hear your stories.
Got mine tomorrow and we’ve all had to pay £20 for it, it should be a good piss up though. My company is quite a lot of over 50 male trainspotters, so it could all be done and dusted by 7. It’s next to London Bridge station and my quench for poor quality football has made me notice it’s only a 10 minute journey to Charlton v Cheltenham, so might just end up there.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Possibly NSC’s best ever post!
I was trying to picture the scene as this came out a while after his “Stand up if you hate HR”

Assumed the others have accepted they can’t deal with him and told to ignore him and he’ll tire himself out, I think the above was the beginning of the end!

If he still posts I’d love hear what happened afterwards 😂😂😂

N.B was curious so checked - last post 10 years afo

“oh dear - that takes me back. What an epic Chirstmas party night that was - I still remember thinking after the third or fourth Stella by 11am that it probably wasnt going to end up as a good day.

Since then I have never attended a Christmas party. Although that job was one I was glad to leave I think the level of behaviour sank so low that night that I couldnt handle the shame again. It was the Sunday dreading coming in to work to find out the extent of the trouble I was in that stands out.

I have told work here that ideally the sooner the better and that I would like to be free by mid-September but my boss seems to be in the mind-set of 'you've caused me a problem so i will not make this easy.'

I cant bring myself to say that I shan't make an effort but deep down it's difficult to keep the focus and the two hour each-way commute when you know that it's not part of the long-term future.

I dont know why they dont just cut their losses but seems it will be a war of attrition.

If a month after I had handed my notice in I simply walked - what would happen?”

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Interesting mix of experiences. Our firm (small, only c 40 staff) is privately owned and the boss invites everyone plus partners to a pub do, picks up the bar tab all night and a 4 course dinner plus pays for taxis for everyone to get home safely. Everyone goes and has a great night out. Nothing negative at all!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here