work experience ..again

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
Anyone know anyone that offers work experience for a 16 year old (In or around the Brighton & Hove area) ? It will be sometime in October.

I could go to my local sport centre but I've heard that you don't actually do much so if anyones got any ideas of where to go or what to do feel free to post. Thanks

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Can i suggest that you try and think of something you'd like to do rather than just go anywhere.

I've often had work experience people in my office and it's a real pain for everyone (them and us) if they're just they're because they've got to do something and don't really care where they go.

You must have some kind of job in mind that you'd like to do one day? Or at least something you're curious about. Find out who does that job locally and apply to them.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Absolutely. Go with that advice. The last thing you want as an employer is someone getting in your way and who clearly doesn't give a shit (not that I'm saying this 16-year-old kid will be like that, obviously.)

As a journalist, we get loads of workies in (I started as a workie myself) and it's one of the best ways to start in the industry. You pick up ideas, see how magazines or papers work, and if you work hard and your face fits, it can lead to a job later down the line.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
Yes your both right but I'm looking to be a pilot in the navy and I spoke to my careers adviser but she said there isn't anything available for what i wanted to do.
I think I may go to the sport centre as I am Studying leisure at school and I am really into most sports.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How about volunteering to help our with trips/courses for disadvantaged kids? (like Outward Bound)

Likely to be active, outdoor work (maybe a free holiday abroad), and you'll learn some teaching/leadership skills which the navy guys will like. :thumbsup:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
Thanks NSC you've done it again.
I've got work experience at Shoreham Port in the enginering department :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I remember that when I did my work experience (2000), that the army offer a week of training as work experience. If you are considering a career in the forces it gives a good indication of the fitness levels needed and the type of treatment you may expect during the first part of basic training.

[edit] - having typed this, I see you have now found somewhere

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've got work experience at Shoreham Port in the enginering department :thumbsup:

Do you belong to CCF? Really good if you want to go on to join full forces.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
I remember that when I did my work experience (2000), that the army offer a week of training as work experience. If you are considering a career in the forces it gives a good indication of the fitness levels needed and the type of treatment you may expect during the first part of basic training.

I thought this but when I asked she said she didn't know, but I used to go to army cadets and do 2 week camps etc so I sort of know about the conditions and stuff.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

No problem hope it goes well.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well done getting a placement at Shoreham , this will be something positive if you join the Navy. As oppposed to a negative of doing your work experience at the YMCA.???

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i did work experience at the albion. two days at the training ground, one day coaching with the football in the community, one day in the shop, and one day at a game

i even got to have a DOUGNUT with dave beasant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports