Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words and phrases they you do not hear anymore.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
My Mum always used to say, in times of stress, that the situation would 'land her up Haywards Heath'. I assume it was a reference to the asylum that was once there. I only heard her and my Dad use it, but I'm guessing they got it from somewhere else. It certainly wouldn't be in existence now.

Another phrase was 'yer daft ha'perth (halfpenny)' that was common amongst older people.

That'll be St Francis Hospital. A common taunt at school (yes I used to live in Haywards Heath) in the 1970s was "you're St Francis, you are". My mum also used to complain that my sister and I would put her in St Francis:wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Make sure you are home for tea ( addressed to a child at 9.00am in the holidays )

Never heard this: surely it's "make sure you're home for lunch" in the morning and "make sure you're home by tea" in the afternoon? You can tell that you're not from Moulsecoomb, if any of us were sent out with a packed lunch, it would have been nicked by 10.00 :)

But you do still hear the phrase, we say it to our kids at the weekend and during the holidays

Address all my old mates and my sister this way - so I hear it every week

'It's a bit parky'

There are those of us who don't travel to work by car. I can tell you that when you cycle to the station in winter, it IS a bit parky out there (and I'm not afraid to tell people). It does confuse the Americans in the office though

2/ British Bulldog may be the greatest game ever invented......do kids still play it?

My daughter's rugby team play it as a warm-up exercise every week

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Good old Sussex by the Sea,
Good old Sussex by the Sea,
and we're going up and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea.

Instead we get

Gdolsussbydusee
Gdolsussbydusee
Anwegoinuptwinducupforsussbydusee

"Who's that man from Argentina" was sung SO fast on Saturday. I could hear it loud and clear on the telly being sung, but it was so fast my brain couldn't register the words.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Hand shandy
"Premier League team, Portsmouth..."
It's all gone Pete Tong
Who are ya? (who are ya?) Who are ya? (who are ya?)
That ****ing hateful St Pauli bollocks.
Brighton Aces
Corr Blimey
Rather
Jeepers!
Ask Jeeves
Tenpin Bowling

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Odds bodkins!
Cripes!
Golly gosh!
Gollywog!
Time for you to go up the wooden hill mi lad.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
"It's your turn, get up and change channels"

"Closed Wednesday Afternoons"

"Last Orders at the bar" - At 2pm

"There's somebody at the door, There's somebody at the door"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here