[Football] Women’s WC Final - who is watching?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Women’s WC Final - are you going to watch?

• Total voters

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Not me. I don't get the excitement over it, it's a rubbish standard, most people who are 'into it' are because it's the 'in thing' to say you like women's football, where were you 10 years ago? The fact Rishi and Prince William aren't going tells you all you need to know.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Not me. I don't get the excitement over it, it's a rubbish standard, most people who are 'into it' are because it's the 'in thing' to say you like women's football, where were you 10 years ago? The fact Rishi and Prince William aren't going tells you all you need to know.
Okay mate, you do you. It's important to put it on record that you're not "into it." :lolol:

And speaking personally, I'd be fine with Sunak and the royals not attending my events 🙂

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Ready and raring to ROAR for the Lionesses. I'm genuinely enjoying watching the women's game progress in leaps and bounds.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I would if I could, but I’m tasked with taking the children out so that my wife can watch it. The children are 10 months and 3.5 years old so too young to be interested in watching it themselves.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Imagine the hysteria if they win it
Let's face it we all know it's shite 😆

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's every chance that might be Robyn "SENSATIONAL STRIKE! WOW!" Cowen.

Now for balance, The Guardian have published a piece supporting her style.
Here's the link: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...and-women-football-commentary-bbc-robyn-cowen

I enjoy the fact that she commentates on the game itself. She's clearly very competent at putting memorable phrases together. And tomorrow may well provide her Kenneth Wolstenholme moment of commentary immortality.

However, the biggest issue with her particular style of commentary is that not every save is world class, not every shot is unstoppable, not every pass is played to perfection, and so on. It might come from a defensive reaction of wanting to protect and talk up the women's game rather than criticize, especially if there are co-commentators like Rachel Finnis Brown alongside who have played with many of the players playing. It was much more noticeable last year at the Euros. There were times when I wondered whether I was watching a different match.

But there's probably a degree of horses for courses too here. I appreciate that I'm not of the soundbite generation and prefer a more nuanced style with both praise and criticism where it's merited. Hyperbole doesn't do the women's game any favours, so it's fair to call it out regardless of whether it fits the narrative.

I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow and I hope England win. Certainly it'll be their biggest challenge so far.
I’d say it’s probably Vicki Sparks, who is simply dreadful. Terrible voice and promoted far beyond her ability. I think Robyn Cowen’s pretty decent if prone to hyperbole but Pien Meulensteen is the best female commentator by far and better than some of the men that now do it. Sadly, there are very few of the highest calibre of either gender any more in my opinion - but it really is very subjective.

Enjoyed the semi-final until Gabby Logan’s ludicrous and immediate line harking back to 1966. On the one hand it’s rightly considered stupid to compare the women’s game to the men’s as it’s plainly different in style and standard, yet some are happy to do it to have a dig.

It’s the women’s first World Cup Final ever. Thats a great achievement and should be lauded in itself without pretending it’s something all football fans have waited their whole lives for.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I will watch. I am enjoying the women’s game over the last few years.
But I don’t buy into all the hype. People pretending this is as big a deal as the men’s team in the final. It’s just not. And they’re not that great a standard of football.

Nevertheless, I have the day off, I have a few beers in the fridge and I’ll give the team my support.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I’d say it’s probably Vicki Sparks, who is simply dreadful. Terrible voice and promoted far beyond her ability. I think Robyn Cowen’s pretty decent if prone to hyperbole but Pien Meulensteen is the best female commentator by far and better than some of the men that now do it. Sadly, there are very few of the highest calibre of either gender any more in my opinion - but it really is very subjective.

Enjoyed the semi-final until Gabby Logan’s ludicrous and immediate line harking back to 1966. On the one hand it’s rightly considered stupid to compare the women’s game to the men’s as it’s plainly different in style and standard, yet some are happy to do it to have a dig.

It’s the women’s first World Cup Final ever. Thats a great achievement and should be lauded in itself without pretending it’s something all football fans have waited their whole lives for.
Yes, we're in agreement here.

That immediate 1966 reference grated with me too. It doesn't have to be compared with men at all. 1966 was a 16 team tournament at home, this is a 32 team tournament on the other side of the world. It's really not the same , but you can tell the 'they think it's all over, it is now' rewrite has already been prepared in the event of victory.

Let's just enjoy the game and appreciate the success of the side, win or lose. It could be a defining moment in the lives of young girls watching, and for their sake alone, I hope England come out on top.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not like when it's played by 'real men' eh ?

You know, sometimes when you read a comment you don't have to look at the poster name to know who it is.

A person who uses the term 'real men' is always going to rubbish women's football.

It's ancient attitudes like yours which have stunted the game's development in the past. Thankfully such attitudes are being left behind. You could always watch some of those 70s aggro videos whilst it's on. Maybe give PPF a call.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Two non football fans not attending a football match tells you all you need to know?

Fair enough.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
6pm kick off our time.
I will be watching at the local, with other expats.
No Aussies will entertain it, even though we all showed up for their games.
They lost the 3rd/4th place playoff too. They're really not as good as they think they are, sore losers

Come on girls lets finish a weekend with a WC win and BHA top of the England for the first time in their history

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two non football fans not attending a football match tells you all you need to know?

Fair enough.
Are you suggesting following Villa and Saints means you are not a football fan? I know Villa are the world leaders at shitehousing but even so… :smile:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Rubbish standard 🤦‍♂️tell us, what standard have you played at that puts you in a position to mock? And besides, have you seen some of the goals scored in the tournament? And no, not because the keepers are useless.

And that's absolute bullshit re people being into it because it's the thing to say

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports