Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women’s WC Final - who is watching?

Women’s WC Final - are you going to watch?

• Total voters

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Simple suggestion, mute the sound. You don't need commentary to enjoy watching football.

@Icy Gull kick off is 11.00 BST.

*sits back and waits for inane misogynistic posts from Nsc
I love reading/listening to misogynistic comments by men who will have very likely never played football anywhere the skill and standard the women in the England squad play at

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Shouty women commentators? Johnathan Pearce anyone?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
related I saw an ESPN facebook post that touted Weigman as a future England mens couch and the misogyny was off the scale. Truly shocking.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Calling anyone stupid is unacceptable. People can and do stupid things, but that doesn’t make them stupid. Anyone calling someone stupid is not acceptable in Parliament.
Absolutely. Parliament is at its worst when it becomes slanging matches from both sides, nothing gets done

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Keep a look out for local offers. For example, Walkabout will give you a free pint if England win

'Simply arrive at Walkabout Brighton - you'll get a free drink voucher on entry, and if Sarina Wiegman's side make it 2 trophies out of 2, just head to the bar to claim your free pint. Choose from:

Heineken | Birra Moretti
Cruz Campo | Amstel | Fosters
Inch's | Strongbow
Strongbow Dark Fruits | John Smith's'

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
related I saw an ESPN facebook post that touted Weigman as a future England mens couch and the misogyny was off the scale. Truly shocking.
Men’s couch? Is that misogynistic?

but back to the point, yes, I will be watching. Anything I’ve seen of them so far has Been very good and very entertaining, much more so than the men’s side!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love reading/listening to misogynistic comments by men who will have very likely never played football anywhere the skill and standard the women in the England squad play at
How about comments about the commentators? They are also quite possibly at a higher standard than we could manage, I like to think I’d be more of a John Motson. Is that misogynistic? :lolol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As for the women’s football commentators, there is one who’s particularly annoying but not sure of her name.
There's every chance that might be Robyn "SENSATIONAL STRIKE! WOW!" Cowen.

Now for balance, The Guardian have published a piece supporting her style.
Here's the link: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...and-women-football-commentary-bbc-robyn-cowen

I enjoy the fact that she commentates on the game itself. She's clearly very competent at putting memorable phrases together. And tomorrow may well provide her Kenneth Wolstenholme moment of commentary immortality.

However, the biggest issue with her particular style of commentary is that not every save is world class, not every shot is unstoppable, not every pass is played to perfection, and so on. It might come from a defensive reaction of wanting to protect and talk up the women's game rather than criticize, especially if there are co-commentators like Rachel Finnis Brown alongside who have played with many of the players playing. It was much more noticeable last year at the Euros. There were times when I wondered whether I was watching a different match.

But there's probably a degree of horses for courses too here. I appreciate that I'm not of the soundbite generation and prefer a more nuanced style with both praise and criticism where it's merited. Hyperbole doesn't do the women's game any favours, so it's fair to call it out regardless of whether it fits the narrative.

I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow and I hope England win. Certainly it'll be their biggest challenge so far.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Have just put the champagne in the fridge.

Will be hoping to toast the European and World Champions.

I have a horrible feeling in my stomach. It’s called optimism. Trying to do all I can to suppress any confidence!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here