Wolves to bid for Lewis Dunk?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
The £5m valuation is something that has been generally quoted in the national papers. Spurs have been watching Dunk since that pre-season friendly. My money is on him going there.

With Man City and Chelsea also linked, i think Wolves would not be a good option for the player at all.

Agree 100% per cent with you, Butterball.

I really think he'll go to Spurs, maybe not in January, but certainly in the summer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Working on the rather insane basis that they'll all DEFINITELY be good enough. If just one of them isn't, that's where the plan falls down.

I've got a better plan.

1. Keep hold of your best players
2. Get to a higher league position due to keeping best players
3. Be in a position to buy even better players, due to improved league position
4. ???
5. Profit

In a perfect world, your scenario is a nice one.

It falls down in two areas though:

1. ALL clubs bar Real and Barca are 'selling clubs' if the offer is big enough.

2. Your scenario totally ignores the aspirations and career progression of the PLAYER. Yes, of course we want to build, and become a force at this level. That might take 3 or 4 years. If Lewis Dunk gets the opportunity to move to the Premier League in January, who are you or I to tell him it would be 'better' for him to stay here for three years?

And as for your suggestion that what I wrote falls down, if any one of them doesn't make it - thats simple enough to solve. If player C falls short, then you use some of the money raised from the sale of players A or B, to bring in a player from elsewhere,who you believe you can develop further.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In a perfect world, your scenario is a nice one.

It falls down in two areas though:

1. ALL clubs bar Real and Barca are 'selling clubs' if the offer is big enough.

2. Your scenario totally ignores the aspirations and career progression of the PLAYER. Yes, of course we want to build, and become a force at this level. That might take 3 or 4 years. If Lewis Dunk gets the opportunity to move to the Premier League in January, who are you or I to tell him it would be 'better' for him to stay here for three years?

And as for your suggestion that what I wrote falls down, if any one of them doesn't make it - thats simple enough to solve. If player C falls short, then you use some of the money raised from the sale of players A or B, to bring in a player from elsewhere,who you believe you can develop further.

But what do you think about points 4 and 5 in my plan? I think my plans as idealistic as yours is, to be fair.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But what do you think about points 4 and 5 in my plan? I think my plans as idealistic as yours is, to be fair.

Well, your point 4 is a smiley, so unsure what I'm supposed to think of that.

Point 5 is 'profit'. Bringing a player through from your youth team, selling him for £4-5million pounds, plus a sell-on clause, then replacing him with a similarly highly rated prospect from the same youth set-up, would seem to represent a fairly spectacular 'profit'.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He could be sold to one of the big clubs, as there's rumours there's a few looking, and to secure it Brighton agree a loan back similar to oxo-cube and arsenal

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, your point 4 is a smiley, so unsure what I'm supposed to think of that.

Point 5 is 'profit'. Bringing a player through from your youth team, selling him for £4-5million pounds, plus a sell-on clause, then replacing him with a similarly highly rated prospect from the same youth set-up, would seem to represent a fairly spectacular 'profit'.

I was mucking about, sorry. Slipped the radar.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wolves stadium re-development is dependent on their continued Premier League status. If they stay up, next season they will be tearing down one whole side of the ground and continuing round from the end that they are currently building.

Don't know where you get your information from but you are wrong... the re-development is nailed on until phase three whatever division they are in.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Don't know where you get your information from but you are wrong... the re-development is nailed on until phase three whatever division they are in.

Oo, interesting - ta. My info was from the local paper (well known for making the Argus look credible!).

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Tribalfootball is notoriously unreliable when it comes to transfer rumours (probably second behind the laughable football-rumours.co.uk), so there's probably little substance to it.

Would rather we kept him unless it was to one of the top PL sides for silly money, for the sole reason that he's likely to go on to be the greatest youth product to come through our academy - I'd like to see him fulfil at least SOME of that potential at the Albion. I know we're well stocked at CB, but he's different to any usual 'flog on for a profit transfer', for me anyway.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Michael Owen was just seen leaving the grand Hotel with Bloom, looked like Beckham and Heskey were there as well, but cant be sure, oh and Sol Campbel was rumoured to be in room 1023, but cant be confirmed, I wouldnt lie, honest.

My mate is a cabbie and he picked up Kevin Phillips from Gatwick and has taken him down to the AMEX this morning. He picked up an interesting return fare, a (dark) chap (not racist, its just an easy description) called Darius, took him back to the airport.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Working on the rather insane basis that they'll all DEFINITELY be good enough. If just one of them isn't, that's where the plan falls down.

I've got a better plan.

1. Keep hold of your best players
2. Get to a higher league position due to keeping best players
3. Be in a position to buy even better players, due to improved league position
4. ???
5. Profit

Couldn't agree more. Think he'd be crazy to go to wolves - not exactly the style of play he's used to, and that helped him develop so quickly into an U 21 player. I'm biased of course but think he's in the best place he could be at this stage of his career. From our point of view, yes we have other decent defenders (and I love El Abd as much as any of you) but none with the class (Greer excepted) and potential that Dunk showed us before the sticky patch we hit exposed his inexperience. We could do with him here and by the time he's done enough to really warrant a 'big' move I would hope we'd be doing well enough for Wolves not to even think they could take him (please god) :albion2: :rock:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The great thing about the January window is that good players go for silly money and very good players go for absolutely stupid money. On that basis I think anything less than £8M for Dunk should be rejected. In the last week teams start to panic and their vision warps. It's in that period that the really silly deals are done - when the threat of relegation or missing out on a CL place get them very twitchy. If we can get Dunk into a bidding war between 2 or 3 clubs then we'll get all of £8M or possibly more.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The great thing about the January window is that good players go for silly money and very good players go for absolutely stupid money. On that basis I think anything less than £8M for Dunk should be rejected. In the last week teams start to panic and their vision warps. It's in that period that the really silly deals are done - when the threat of relegation or missing out on a CL place get them very twitchy. If we can get Dunk into a bidding war between 2 or 3 clubs then we'll get all of £8M or possibly more.

I think I just saw a little pig fly by.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With all the spotty Nigels posting on NSC that their best players are worth £X Million of any clubs money we would be stupid to take anything less than £8M. If several Prem clubs are interested we should put Dunky on e-bay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports