Wolves new Manager - the AntiPoyet?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Wolves new boss recons that Swansea's style of passing football will not work in the Championship.

Wolves: Stale Solbakken happy to be direct

Stale Solbakken today warned Wolves fans that the team will have to take the direct route at times in the Championship next season.

The new Molineux chief, who flew back to Norway yesterday before returning for Monday’s start of pre-season training, believes the uncompromising nature of the division means it won’t be possible to play a patient, passing game all the time like Swansea did in 2010-11.

Wolves won the Championship title in 2008-09 playing a high-tempo style of getting the ball wide and providing lots of crosses, and Solbakken declared a flexible approach will be needed to be successful next season.

“I think it’s a good mix in the Championship,” said the boss. “But you also need to be direct sometimes. There are some tough winter periods here also where you can lose some points if you pass it too much, so you have to find the balance.

“It’s not easy to pass a team to death in the cold of January or February maybe. You meet some teams with a different kind of football and you need to stand up to everything.

“We have to have that in mind as well. With 46 games, you need to build a good base so you can take some points on a bad day.”

Solbakken revealed the players will understand exactly what they should be doing. “You must make sure everyone understands the concept, everyone understands what they should do on the pitch – so even if we have some injuries and star players are out, we can still produce points,” he said.

Do we agree, or is he just an anti-flair poopoohead?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The fact Swansea are now in the Prem rather destroys his point I think. Not to mention us almost making the play offs with passy-passy footy.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think his first name reflects his football philosophy perfectly.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I think Solbakken is an exciting appointment. He doesn't say he's against passing football, just that at times a more direct approach might be necessary. I expect Wolves to be one of B&HA's challengers for promotion in the coming season.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Did no one ever tell Gordon Greer that we ONLY play tippy tappy.

I'm sure I hjave seen us lump it up the middle under Gus

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Agree with Rokerite. Nothing wrong with what he's said at all. Saints didn't play tippy tappy football, and neither did West Ham. Swansea obviously did but they're more of an exception than a rule. He makes a fair point about the winter, because the pitches aren't always in the best of condition.

Am delighted we want to go the way we are, but don't agree with mocking other teams who think it's better to 'mix it up a bit'.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
So a mixture of
hoof-before-dissection-ante.gif

and
Tap-Dancing-Shoes.jpg

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Saw Cologne on a stag do earlier this year - utter shit. So I wouldn't worry too much about this guys opinion. The Cologne fans certainly didn't rate him, and for a Bundesliga match (v Hamburg) I thought at the time the quality of Cologne was mid-table Championship at best.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
That's the problem on wet muddy pitches. If we can't keep the hoofers from scoring then all the tippy tappy aint gonna work.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Solbakken is an exciting appointment. He doesn't say he's against passing football, just that at times a more direct approach might be necessary. I expect Wolves to be one of B&HA's challengers for promotion in the coming season.
Agree entirely. Southampton got promoted because they mixed up some tidy passing football with some direct football to a big striker.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Total <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">football</a>, players able to pass the accurately and run off the ball and also hoof it into the channels when there is a half chance. Not neantherdals that all they can do is hoof.

Actually I do not thinking hoofing into the channels gives a worthwhile chance conversion <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">rate</a> at all. Most of the time it just gives the ball back to the opposition. West Ham proved if the Albion defence were not physical enough to negate their accurate hoofs into the channels It did not work so well for Millwall though.

I thought the most impressive player for Spain was Ramos at the back but also able to go forward knowing that the other players would cover (not actually sure the covering was there, but Spain did not lose the ball so it did not matter). This had the result of giving Spain an extra man in midfield when it mattered.

If the passing team (or any team) loses possession they are vulnerable to quick counter attack which Southampton excelled at.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agree with Rokerite. Nothing wrong with what he's said at all. Saints didn't play tippy tappy football, and neither did West Ham. Swansea obviously did but they're more of an exception than a rule. He makes a fair point about the winter, because the pitches aren't always in the best of condition.

Am delighted we want to go the way we are, but don't agree with mocking other teams who think it's better to 'mix it up a bit'.

That's the problem on wet muddy pitches. If we can't keep the hoofers from scoring then all the tippy tappy aint gonna work.
I'm not sure he does make a fair point about the weather. Firstly, there are very few poor pitches in the Championship now and secondly we proved in league one that we can knock it about however shit the pitch is.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'm not sure he does make a fair point about the weather. Firstly, there are very few poor pitches in the Championship now and secondly we proved in league one that we can knock it about however shit the pitch is.

I remember more than a couple of complaints about pitches last year, and we certainly struggled away from home more than we did at the Amex which had a decent pitch all year

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The clue is in the "direct route at times". I totally agree with him, how many teams do we pass to death on mid winter pitches on a cut up lumpy pitch?

If I have one complaint about Gus it's that he doesn't mix it up enough. That slick passing style never even got going as we got steamrollered at Upton Park.

Didn't Swansea only sneak up via the playoffs when Reading choked, he has a point.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Saw Cologne on a stag do earlier this year - utter shit. So I wouldn't worry too much about this guys opinion. The Cologne fans certainly didn't rate him, and for a Bundesliga match (v Hamburg) I thought at the time the quality of Cologne was mid-table Championship at best.

They're probably not at their best on a stag do though. Would have been better to watch them playing a match.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The clue is in the "direct route at times". I totally agree with him, how many teams do we pass to death on mid winter pitches on a cut up lumpy pitch?

The only cut up lumpy pitch I remember is Doncaster, and we didn't win due to lumping the ball up the field instead of playing out usual passing game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports