Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not going to make any judgements on a couple of kids making up the numbers.
We were much better around the box when Welbeck came on, much more important than people give him credit for.
Yep - load of nonsense on here tonight. We have 9 injuries ffs in what's been a season of injury woes. Amazing we are where we are really. Not sure who some folk on here suddenly seem to think we are.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Another evening of Potter-ball. Domination, but no goals. I know he's flair and all that, and doesn't speak with a somewhere-in-the-grotty-midlands accent, but is de Zerbi actually that much better than Potter? Goy us to 6th. last season, our highest ever position - fine - but did it thanks to a Potter-ball flying start to the season. At the time of that 5-2 thrashing of Leicester, the team was really cooking ...................................
We sold Mac and Moises and replaced them with Baleba.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
De Zerbi is miles better than Potter.

We would often lose games like that, whilst never taking the sort of risks De zerbi demands of us.

Potter's hot streak happened when he had a midfield of Bissouma, Caicedo, MacAllister, Mwepu

I'd like to have seen what De zerbi could have done with those players at his disposal
We had 3 of those last season and we finished sixth

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Thought we played pretty well bizarrely. Frustrating to lose that. Ultimately, if you concede in the first minute against an organised and unambitious side like wolves it’s very hard to win.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
De Zerbi is miles better than Potter.

We would often lose games like that, whilst never taking the sort of risks De zerbi demands of us.

Potter's hot streak happened when he had a midfield of Bissouma, Caicedo, MacAllister, Mwepu

I'd like to have seen what De zerbi could have done with those players at his disposal
So did de Zerbi (OK, not much of Mwepu) and Bissouma had gone when Potter's team were thrashing the likes of Leicester and looking like world-beaters. id you relly, honestly, watch the Leicester match and think, OK, we need a better manager now to take us forward?
Calling 'liar' if you say you did!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’m mystified by this new trope that we don’t have a big enough squad. How many players do people think we should have for each position? Even without Veltman, Milner, March, Lamptey, Mitoma, Gilmour, Pedro, Ferguson and Hinshelwood we can still field a decent side. Cloud cuckoo land.

The truth is that we have one of the smallest squads in the Premier League.
With 4 ( I think) places not taken.

We have a lot of high quality U21s to bolster the numbers, but we did have space to increase the size of the squad to help us come through a difficult Jan - March.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'm not going to make any judgements on a couple of kids making up the numbers.
We were much better around the box when Welbeck came on, much more important than people give him credit for.
Agree. On basis Academy team is to get players to first team I would release both Baker-Boaitey and Peupion. Both had attacking roles and contributed nothing. Have been about a couple of years and a long way off. Watching Peupion I can see why he was rarely selected when on loan.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
No worries, I totally agree we gave it to them, but by many players not being switched. I don't get why some only see the keeper to blame.
Because it was Steele who gave away the goal , it was his mistake , always difficult when you go one down so early in a match
then right at the end of the match he could of been a hero , but f—-ed that up as well , our best chance of The match ,
but saying that we never looked like equalising,

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Another evening of Potter-ball. Domination, but no goals. I know he's flair and all that, and doesn't speak with a somewhere-in-the-grotty-midlands accent, but is de Zerbi actually that much better than Potter? Goy us to 6th. last season, our highest ever position - fine - but did it thanks to a Potter-ball flying start to the season. At the time of that 5-2 thrashing of Leicester, the team was really cooking ...................................
I think that RDZ is on the same management path at Brighton as Potter followed - started brightly, change of style, lots of nice football, but becomes susceptible to goals on the counter. Changes things up defensively but in doing so stop scoring at the other end... this is where RDZ is now. Potter eventually got it right at both ends of the pitch and the results were top 4 level, then he left for a big club. If we get to experience the perfect RDZ ball I expect he will do the same... ;)

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Shame Adingra and Fati didn’t swap sides as Adingra so much better on the left. Baleba whilst a bit rough round the edges at least offers good athleticism in the middle and played some forward passes into the box. Enciso looked good in his 20 mins or so and loved Barcos cameo..has the distinct look of the nutter about him. Goodnight a good game as well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep - load of nonsense on here tonight. We have 9 injuries ffs in what's been a season of injury woes. Amazing we are where we are really. Not sure who some folk on here suddenly seem to think we are.
Yep, no centre forward available, probably rather not have played Becks but he put a shift in anyway, and we play with a load of kids. I mean, at times our final balls were poor, but I still think much of our football is great to watch.

There’s a make shift midfield and then there’s tonight, and they still looked in control for most the night. Yes that final bit of quality was absent, but yeah 9 players out, and many we’re bringing through ahead of schedule.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree. On basis Academy team is to get players to first team I would release both Baker-Boaitey and Peupion. Both had attacking roles and contributed nothing. Have been about a couple of years and a long way off. Watching Peupion I can see why he was rarely selected when on loan.
He was rarely selected when on loan because shortly after he joined Cheltenham brought in a new manager who didn't believe in using 'yoof'.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So did de Zerbi (OK, not much of Mwepu) and Bissouma had gone when Potter's team were thrashing the likes of Leicester and looking like world-beaters. id you relly, honestly, watch the Leicester match and think, OK, we need a better manager now to take us forward?
Calling 'liar' if you say you did!

No I didn't think we needed a better manager, and I'll go one further. I didn't think we' d get one.
But we did.

De Zerbi has consistently had his best performing players taken away from him and has carried on producing results.

It's worth remembering that in amongst Potter's great start, there was a typically woeful performance at Fulham.
There was no guarantees that Potter would have taken us any further than he had the season before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here