Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
wolves-png.164705
albion-png.164686

Wolves v Albion

FA CUP - FIFTH ROUND

Venue:
Molineux Stadium
Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Andrew Madley
Assistants: Nick Hopton, Nick Greenhaigh
Fourth Official: Sam Barrott
VAR: Anthony Taylor, John Brooks
Additional VAR: Simon Bennett

De Zerbi on Mitoma injury and making 'fans happy'

Roberto de Zerbi has been speaking to the media before Brighton's FA Cup fifth round tie against Wolves on Wednesday.

Here are the key lines from his news conference:
  • De Zerbi confirmed that Karou Mitoma is likely to miss the remainder of the season with a back injury and added: "It is an important problem, I think two to three months [out] but that finishes the season [for him]."
  • He also confirmed that Evan Ferguson and Joel Veltman are unavailable for Wednesday's match, while Danny Welbeck will be checked tomorrow in what is a "bad situation" for the club.
  • Asked if he was frustrated by the injury difficulties, De Zerbi said: "No I am not frustrated, it can happen in football, this situation has never changed between September and now. We [try] to work with enthusiasm and pride, try to transform the problem to opportunities like we have done until this moment. But don't worry because tomorrow we fight to try and win the game, away at Fulham and away the same in Europe against Roma too."
  • He said it is a "big opportunity" if they beat Wolves to reach the quarter final and that they "want to win and make our fans happy, make our club happy".
  • On their opponents, he said: "[They are a] very good team, playing well, they won at Chelsea and Tottenham. I watch a lot of their last games, they have clear style of play, lots of good players especially in attack, everywhere, they are competing to reach a European place in table."
  • On using disappointment from semi-final defeat on penalties last season, he said: "My focus is to play well, to keep our organisation on the pitch and to play showing character, patience, pride - our values are more important than penalties or results. To reach results we have to play as Brighton."
  • Asked about the red card Billy Gilmour received in comparison to similar challenges that didn't result in a sending off, he said: "It is a difficult to take decision in that situation. Development of football is different to what you see on TV, on TV it is totally different. I don't know the rule but if you have played football you can understand the foul of Billy Gilmour because it is part of football."
STATS
  • This is just the second FA Cup meeting between Wolves and Brighton, with Wolves winning a third round tie 3-2 in 1978-79.
  • Brighton have won their past three away games against Wolves in all competitions, having won just one of their previous 11 visits to Molineux before this (D7 L3).
  • Wolves are looking to reach the FA Cup quarter-final for the third time this century, previously doing so in 2002-03 and 2018-19.
  • Since promotion to the Premier League in 2017, Brighton are looking to reach the FA Cup quarter-final for the fourth time (2017-18, 2018-19 and 2022-23). They had only done so twice in their history before this (1982-83 and 1985-86).
  • Brighton's Joao Pedro has scored six goals in his past three FA Cup games. He is the joint-top scorer in this season's competition with five (first round onwards), netting a hat-trick in the fourth round against Sheffield United.

Roberto De Zerbi's Wolves Press Conference

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just something those going tonight should be aware of parking wise,as you get closer to the ground you will start to see yellow match day parking signs,one of them is on a small trading estate and just before the MC Donald's on the left,the parking there is absolutely fine £5,but as you take the left there is a small bus lane at traffic lights then the arrow for the turn, don't go into that 20 yard bus lane before you turn,as tempting as it is and seemingly harmless,a fine will be on its way poste haste as Dave the distraught found out last visit.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Because I think we’re going to lose this, I think we’ll win.

Work that one out.

With so many players out we have to be second favourites. But being second favourites means we’ve got no reason not to just play with abandon.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If we can win this with most of our strike force out injured, that will be an achievement!
I don’t where the goals are going to come from or who he can pick for the centre forward role… but we always hope for good things. At least it is on the BBC , sort of …NB I have read that there are no replays this round

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here