Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean - what's left of it...

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Well I for one am certainly not sad !

In fact, if anything, I'm overjoyed to see those stands coming down, because it signifies that were are well and truely out of the dump.

( Sorry to all those JCL's who only remember Withdean with teary eyes but as far as I'm concerned it was like having to live in a cardboard box on the streets, or one of those static homes on a caravan park ).

The photo of the solitary staircase with ' No standing in this area ' deserves to have a legendary status, like the photos of people standing on top of the Berlin Wall in 1990. They're both sights that at one point in history, I thought I would never live to see....

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I reckon they've finally found the Giant 'GOSBTS' flag ............

But it had been missing so long that no-one wants to admit it slipped down a gap between the seats.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Finally I can put the loss at home to Rochdale in the pissing rain behind me. Goodbye Withers.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

In fact, if anything, I'm overjoyed to see those stands coming down, because it signifies that were are well and truely out of the dump.

( Sorry to all those JCL's who only remember Withdean with teary eyes but as far as I'm concerned it was like having to live in a cardboard box on the streets, or one of those static homes on a caravan park ).

The photo of the solitary staircase with ' No standing in this area ' deserves to have a legendary status, like the photos of people standing on top of the Berlin Wall in 1990. They're both sights that at one point in history, I thought I would never live to see....

Agree to a point. BUT it was home to arguably the most successful period in recent history as far as trophies are concerned.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
A big thanks to Brighton and Hove athletics club, who have had to work around tuesday/Wednesday night games, cancelling over 80 training sessions. They need a £1000 grant for an electronic timer for sussex at the moment, enhancing southern athletics hugely, so it's a shame we've given absolutely nothing, even if it was just the thought, toasted the club. We have taken over their home for over a decade! Had some great memories there, now roll on the Amex..

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

But it was so much better than spending all morning on a double deckerto Kent and then watching rubbish at priestfield.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thats quite sad really, had some good times there...
Some great times, 3 championships! But I don't find it sad, it helped us through the last 12 years but seeing it dismantelled is just another reminder of what's around the corner. When building started at Falmer I just took it as read that it would be late, I still can't believe it's happened.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree to a point. BUT it was home to arguably the most successful period in recent history as far as trophies are concerned.

This is the point which is most baffling.

Considering we had spent 95 years at The Goldstone Ground with just six promotions (and only two championships) to our name, you look back at Withdean - especially given the state the club was in when we arrived there, and by far an inferior set-up in just about every way - and think 'How the bloody hell did that happen?'

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Things come, and things go. I can remember sitting on the big grassy bank (which is/was the south stand) watching the Brighton B52s.
There are so many memories at that place - it has served us well.

attachment.php

Spent many hours training there with the B52's

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A big thanks to Brighton and Hove athletics club, who have had to work around tuesday/Wednesday night games, cancelling over 80 training sessions. They need a £1000 grant for an electronic timer for sussex at the moment, enhancing southern athletics hugely, so it's a shame we've given absolutely nothing, even if it was just the thought, toasted the club. We have taken over their home for over a decade! Had some great memories there, now roll on the Amex..

I disagree - given athletics would never have had the money to build a permanent North stand I think they've done quite well out of the deal.

The photos make me realise how derelict the place is going to look now. Strange when you consider how awful it was before we moved in and yet all the local residents complained ( and I lived in the area at the time and what some locals said was unbelievable ). Sine then they've had a run down stadium spruced up and all their litter picked up every other week. I think they might notice a difference now we've moved out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Considering we had spent 95 years at The Goldstone Ground with just six promotions (and only two championships) to our name, you look back at Withdean - especially given the state the club was in when we arrived there, and by far an inferior set-up in just about every way - and think 'How the bloody hell did that happen?'
Not only did we have shit facilities but the playing side was only half of it. As well as having to invest in a football team the club had to invest a considerable amount of time and money into the Falmer planning battle - which was arguably more important (but certainly as important) as success on the pitch.

As you say, how did we do it? The spirit of the club? Or maybe the secret of playing success is for the Directors not to pay too much attention to it!

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
So is there an agreement that the club has with the council regarding the state it has to be left in? EG re-grassing the old south stand area etc?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

For this reason alone there should be some sort of statue/plaque/monument erected there with the clubs record whilst playing there. In years to come Withdean needs to be remembered as the place where the Albion began it's rise from the ashes of the 3 barstewards legacy and our league record whilst there is nothing short of miraculous, it shouldn't just be left with no lasting legacy of the Albion.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oh dear oh dear, l really learned a lesson today, stupidly really, l wandered down to dear old Withers myself to see what was happening, l did exactly the same thing back in 1997 when they dismantled the Goldstone ... l shed a tear then, and l shed a tear today.

R.I.P. Withdean, thanks for twelve years of memories ... l loved you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here