Withdean - what's left of it...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
For this reason alone there should be some sort of statue/plaque/monument erected there with the clubs record whilst playing there. In years to come Withdean needs to be remembered as the place where the Albion began it's rise from the ashes of the 3 barstewards legacy and our league record whilst there is nothing short of miraculous, it shouldn't just be left with no lasting legacy of the Albion.

there is STILL no mention of BHAFC at the Goldstone Retail Park

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This is the point which is most baffling.

Considering we had spent 95 years at The Goldstone Ground with just six promotions (and only two championships) to our name, you look back at Withdean - especially given the state the club was in when we arrived there, and by far an inferior set-up in just about every way - and think 'How the bloody hell did that happen?'

This. And I know it's far easier to say from having enjoyed my privileged position in the North stand but I loved the place: I loved its weird setting, the trees, the walk down the muddy path to get there, the fact that you saw hugely rich directors queueing to get into a portakabin, everything.

I've always said that, even more than other sites of other former football grounds, people will look at Withdean in years to come and think "they actually played West Ham/Man City/Sunderland etc here, in front of 7-8000 people?" It'll seem laughably improbable by then.

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
This. And I know it's far easier to say from having enjoyed my privileged position in the North stand but I loved the place: I loved its weird setting, the trees, the walk down the muddy path to get there, the fact that you saw hugely rich directors queueing to get into a portakabin, everything.

I've always said that, even more that the sites of other former football grounds, people will look at Withdean in years to come and think "they actually played West Ham/Man City/Sunderland etc here, in front of 7-8000 people?" It'll seem laughably improbable by then.

It seemed laughably improbable then!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
actually we have had loads of success and failures at withers, but games like Chesterfield and Swindon will go down in the memory as the best of times

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I might go and watch a Whitehawk game there next season, sitting in the North Stand. I'll be able to turn towards the bloke nearest me and warble, 'OI, MATE!!!...' :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports