Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean a ****hole?!

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Was just reading a binfest on the Huddersfield forum about tickets for our game with them, when I came across this little beauty of a quote.

Now, never having been before, I'm sure Huddersfield is lovely, but to describe one of the most affluent areas of Brighton as a ****hole is a little extreme!

Still, not far to go to London Road, which might meet with more approval from our Yorkshire friends.

Tbh I wanted to go to this one, but its such a hassle to get a ticket now and its a shithole of a ground and area around it, and it will be all about brighton promotion party imo on that day and last game at the dump. Will leave it for their capacity crowd.

Too much Hassle im afraid.

DATM - Down At The Mac - Huddersfield Town Forum - Brighton Tickets

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The stadium lacks facilities, a roof being one of the more obvious ones, but its in a nice area of town. Like you I've never been to Huddersfield, but it must be an exceptionally lovely place if Withdean is a dump (compared to it).

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
He's probably referring to the lack of decent places to have a drink rather than the actual area itself.

By saying "it's a shithole of a ground and the area around it"?

Now I agree wholeheartedly that the stadium itself leaves a lot to be desired, but I would also argue that it has some of the nicest surroundings of any football ground in the country.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I dont recall the area around hudders ground being an area of outstanding beauty!

Thought no fireworks was a bit tight also!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
My Mrs comes from Huddersfield, so i know the area quite well. The Galpharm is a nice stadium, but the area around it is nothing compared to Withdean. Although the old ground on the Leeds road was in a worse state. Lets put it this way, my Mrs wanted to move back up there at one point, but when she found she would not be married any more, she saw sense and stayed down here. Also it's bloody freeezing up there, and that's just the summer.

By saying "it's a shithole of a ground and the area around it"?

Now I agree wholeheartedly that the stadium itself leaves a lot to be desired, but I would also argue that it has some of the nicest surroundings of any football ground in the country.

Yes but who travels half the length of the country to admire the the local housing? :jester: From an away supporter's point of view it IS a shit hole. There's nowhere to park, nowhere to have a drink and the ground itself needs no explanation.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've been to Huddersfield, and although parts of the town are nice (award winning bar in the station), the area round their ground isn't.

I've been to Huddersfield, and although parts of the town are nice (award winning bar in the station), the area round their ground isn't.

Maybe not, but there's the Gas Club with it's £2 pints of Stella, Sky Sports and once when I was in there were birds dishing out free fags. I couldn't give a shit if the rest of the area is like Beirut if there's somewhere like that five minutes stroll from the away stand.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Yes but who travels half the length of the country to admire the the local housing? :jester: From an away supporter's point of view it IS a shit hole. There's nowhere to park, nowhere to have a drink and the ground itself needs no explanation.

:lol: OK, I see we're getting nowhere. I agree it might be crap for drinking and be difficult to park nearby, but it's certainly not a shithole!

Surrounded by woodland and £million properties - certainly better than a motorway and industrial park, ie. Stoke.

:lol: OK, I see we're getting nowhere. I agree it might be crap for drinking and be difficult to park nearby, but it's certainly not a shithole!

Surrounded by woodland and £million properties - certainly better than a motorway and industrial park, ie. Stoke.

Fair enough. And any neighbourhood that can name Steve Coogan as one of its residents must be alright. :thumbsup:

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Having the (dis)pleasure of travelling frequently to Halifax, my impression of that part of the world is....lovely countryside spoilt by shite, delapitated, towns. Makes Manchester look like Beverley Hills.

Yes, the Withdean Stadium (& I HATE people calling it "The Withdean"..."The Withdean" what, exactly?) is less than ideal. Yes, there is only the Sportsman on the doorstep. Yes, you can't park nearby and have to stroll 10 minutes from Preston Park Station to the ground. But, the area around it is far from being a "sh*thole"!

Northern Monkey.

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham
Unbelievable coming from a Huddersfield fan. Huddersfield is a bloody shithole, luckily i live just outside it in Holmfirth so i'm surrounded by hills and countryside. Huddersfield town center itself is horrible.

As for Withdean, probably the nicest area around a football ground in the county, deluded northerners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here