Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Winter power cuts.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As an aside, if this makes the West decide to properly go to renewables and electric vehicles in the next few years, then consider poor old OPEC.

Just imagine, all that Oil and Gas that no-one wants you to get out of the ground to fund your lovely countries... :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In the VERY unlikely event this happens, could cause some issues for night workers.

For years I’ve thought that high street shops should be forced to turn off their display lights that burn 24/7. Utter waste of energy. They could start with enforcing a black out during non trading hours. But large retailers are owned by billionaires and billionaires don’t get forced to do anything they don’t want to in this country.

I still don't understand why the street lights down my road are on all night. There aren't many people or much traffic around at 3.30am here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
there is basically nothing that can be done to not cut power to individual houses in a power cut area. Power can be cut to fairly small areas, you just have to look at when one half of the street has power, and the other doesn't in storms, but leaving power on to individual properties simply cant be done

If anyone has critical medical equipment then the only option is back up generators or batteries, I would hope and expect that those with such needs would already have some form of contingency plan anyway in the event of unscheduled powercuts. I know I certainly would
Yeh, after coughing up well over a grand a month for minimal essential care, I'm sure they can find a bit of spare change for a generator or battery back up system. It certainly doesn't get provided.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still don't understand why the street lights down my road are on all night. There aren't many people or much traffic around at 3.30am here.

the minute a council say they'll turn off lights at night there's protests about people's safety. which is a fair enough, that is their purpose. many are getting fitted with LED and motion senors, takes time to roll out.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Typical Jeremy Slime shit stirring. Creating worry and anxiety when the reality is different.

I remember when Covid started, before lockdown, he kept mentioning "potential millions of deaths" from it.

Bloke is a class A scumbag of the lowest order for all the upset, fear and anxiety his over hyped bad news brings.

He is just a wet wa—er of a broadcaster.
How the hell he gets to take on so many programmes is quite beyond my comprehension.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
6.55 million deaths so far.

Energy security was my most important arguments against brexit and I stand by it.

Not getting into a off topic Covid figures debate, but I didn't realise that 10% of the UK population died in the last couple of years (JV was talking about UK deaths).

Brexit. That's because we have been so bloody stupid to sell off key infrastructure to private and foreign companies and states. EDF Energy supplies 6 million homes and is owned by the French State. All profits go to support the French Govt. Insane.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The issue at the heart of it is low Gas availability. This is a global issue, we in Europe will pay the higher prices, but that means other parts of the world face the real shortages. Cutting back on our own usage is a small help to others, but we should do it if we can. The other thing we could, and in my opinion should, be doing is creating biogas to pump into the network. Food waste, dog shit, grass cuttings, remnants form abbatoirs and food processing plants can all produce usable methane, with a by product of some CO2 that can be bottled for commercial use, there is also a shortage of CO2 in the UK due to the closure if an Ammonia plant which produced CO2 as a byproduct.
Environmentalists dont like it much though as it is not seen as green as wind or solar, but most of the waste products that can be used would rot down and release Methane and CO2 in landfill anyway.
I dont think we will see regular power outages in the UK, but other places will.

Not true for South Africa, Europe yes.
The SA power issue is inadequate supply & over demand.

Their power production is mostly coal (78%) with only a small amount coming from Open Cycle Gas Turbine (6%) - see table below:

Capture.JPG

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've just heard from my brother-in-law who is a senior engineer in UK Power Networks.

Realistically, power cuts are not going to happen.

But by all means get a rechargeable or wind up lamp, maybe a battery pack for your phone and a wind up radio.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think the Albion should do their bit to help out, all home games to kick off at 11.30am so that floodlights are not used.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Think the Albion should do their bit to help out, all home games to kick off at 11.30am so that floodlights are not used.

Apparently Spurs have already submitted an appeal against that on the basis that Harry Kane is even more ugly under natural light :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s do with gas supplies which we rely on to generate electricity. When the gas runs low the lights will go out. Would crime levels rise within the three hour periods? Many things to consider

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s do with gas supplies which we rely on to generate electricity. When the gas runs low the lights will go out. Would crime levels rise within the three hour periods? Many things to consider

The UK has enough gas but exports to the Netherlands because we have no storage facilities any more.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
People with medical equipment usually have a battery backup for emergencies, but if it is a planned power cut, they can use their equipment at another time.
All energy companies have a Priority list for those who need help.

How easy is it to keep supply to specific houses?

I assume this is where not having a smart meter pays off.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How easy is it to keep supply to specific houses?

I assume this is where not having a smart meter pays off.
Each street is supplied by three cables ( three phase ) sometimes in a power cut your neighbour’s may have power whilst you don’t because only one phase is out. People panic and normally call their local emergency electrician. I now say to the caller is the display blank on your meter if it is you have a power cut 9/10. Saves them a call out fee.
To answer the question they can’t target individual properties.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Typical Jeremy Slime shit stirring. Creating worry and anxiety when the reality is different.

I remember when Covid started, before lockdown, he kept mentioning "potential millions of deaths" from it.

Bloke is a class A scumbag of the lowest order for all the upset, fear and anxiety his over hyped bad news brings.

This kind of view is stupid. Jeremy Vine is a tit. But to go after him for saying "potentially millions" will die is idiotic. Because that's what happened. I don't think he's doing it anymore, is he?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Each street is supplied by three cables ( three phase ) sometimes in a power cut your neighbour’s may have power whilst you don’t because only one phase is out. People panic and normally call their local emergency electrician. I now say to the caller is the display blank on your meter if it is you have a power cut 9/10. Saves them a call out fee.
To answer the question they can’t target individual properties.

eventually they use the smart meters to control house by house supply :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here