Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Winter power cuts.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
An almost weekly occurrence in South Africa, where I spend a fair bit of time. I'd imagine they'll target the high, but non-essential users of energy first - so large businesses that aren't hospitals etc. In South Africa, virtually every household has a back-up generator for the times when 'load shedding' is taking place.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The National Grid themselves describe this as an "unlikely scenario", but it's quite a thought, isn't it?

I'm sure most of us would get by without power for the occasional three hours at a time. Just leave your freezer closed and no harm will be done. If it does happen though, I do wonder what can/will be done to ensure those with illnesses that necessitate powered equipment running 24/7 to continue to receive the power they need.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Listening to the Radio this morning they seemed to suggest that a cold snap early on in the Winter wouldn't be a problem as we have significant reserves, but as the Winter goes on and the reserves deplete, later cold snaps could bring more risk. Also someone from the National grid was suggesting that the 'targeting' that they can do is fairly limited and certainly not at household/building level for people with critical energy needs.

But overall they seemed hopeful it wouldn't come to that.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Typical Jeremy Slime shit stirring. Creating worry and anxiety when the reality is different.

I remember when Covid started, before lockdown, he kept mentioning "potential millions of deaths" from it.

Bloke is a class A scumbag of the lowest order for all the upset, fear and anxiety his over hyped bad news brings.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Listening to the Radio this morning they seemed to suggest that a cold snap early on in the Winter wouldn't be a problem as we have significant reserves, but as the Winter goes on and the reserves deplete, later cold snaps could bring more risk. Also someone from the National grid was suggesting that the 'targeting' that they can do is fairly limited and certainly not at household/building level for people with critical energy needs.

But overall they seemed hopeful it wouldn't come to that.

there is basically nothing that can be done to not cut power to individual houses in a power cut area. Power can be cut to fairly small areas, you just have to look at when one half of the street has power, and the other doesn't in storms, but leaving power on to individual properties simply cant be done

If anyone has critical medical equipment then the only option is back up generators or batteries, I would hope and expect that those with such needs would already have some form of contingency plan anyway in the event of unscheduled powercuts. I know I certainly would

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Typical Jeremy Slime shit stirring. Creating worry and anxiety when the reality is different.

I remember when Covid started, before lockdown, he kept mentioning "potential millions of deaths" from it.

Bloke is a class A scumbag of the lowest order for all the upset, fear and anxiety his over hyped bad news brings.

i used to like JV, however after hearing the total bs spouted over the lights at the Amex that could be seen from Hastings, and had blighted Sussex from its opening, I realised that he simply doesnt have anytime for an opposing view to what he wants to peddle and will simply talk over and effectively ignore a differing view.

I didn't hear todays segment on this, so cant comment on it specifically, but I never take anything he says at face value

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People with medical equipment usually have a battery backup for emergencies, but if it is a planned power cut, they can use their equipment at another time.
All energy companies have a Priority list for those who need help.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

6.55 million deaths so far.

Energy security was my most important arguments against brexit and I stand by it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Will be like going back to he 70's - candle sales will rise as will torch sales too.
Duracell shares to sky-rocket
Oooh, like back in the good old days when the miners started striking causing a national coal shortage.

Different problem(s) now ....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
An almost weekly occurrence in South Africa, where I spend a fair bit of time. I'd imagine they'll target the high, but non-essential users of energy first - so large businesses that aren't hospitals etc. In South Africa, virtually every household has a back-up generator for the times when 'load shedding' is taking place.

I've got several relatives in Jo'burg and Durban - none have solar panels nor generators and suffer "loadshedding" blackouts on a regular weekly basis, have done for a while, and no end in sight.

Here's the 2022 timetable to provide a scale of the disruption

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Currently one of the topics on The J/V Show and it's a sound point regards turning down/off some urban lighting/displays and no doubt most households have changed the way that they use various forms of energy. However is supply disruption/cuts a genuine prospect for U/K households this winter ? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/national-grid-uk-winter-blackouts-warning-7x9h2sp2t

The bit I've highlighted is particularly interesting. France loves bright lit neon signs - try driving through any French village or town and not seeing the bright green cross of a chemist for example. Even before this energy crisis many parts of France had brought in rules allowing businesses to use their neon lights for a set number of hours per day. It was all about helping stop climate change. Currently is seems an even more sensible policy and one we should follow in the UK. The number of businesses I pass at night and they still have loads of lights on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bit I've highlighted is particularly interesting. France loves bright lit neon signs - try driving through any French village or town and not seeing the bright green cross of a chemist for example. Even before this energy crisis many parts of France had brought in rules allowing businesses to use their neon lights for a set number of hours per day. It was all about helping stop climate change. Currently is seems an even more sensible policy and one we should follow in the UK. The number of businesses I pass at night and they still have loads of lights on.

Neon signs use a similar amount of electricity as a light bulb. The French do have a lot of solar lights over their road signs, therefore not using electricity from the grid.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I've got several relatives in Jo'burg and Durban - none have solar panels nor generators and suffer "loadshedding" blackouts on a regular weekly basis, have done for a while, and no end in sight.

Here's the 2022 timetable to provide a scale of the disruption

It started in 2007 as a temporary measure when one of the power stations went offline. We had a generator for a while but gave up on it in the end. Some winters we would have 2 cuts per day. You get used to crap service after a while, you shouldn't have to, but you do. It's one of the reason why I'm not keen on nationalised industries.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In the VERY unlikely event this happens, could cause some issues for night workers.

For years I’ve thought that high street shops should be forced to turn off their display lights that burn 24/7. Utter waste of energy. They could start with enforcing a black out during non trading hours. But large retailers are owned by billionaires and billionaires don’t get forced to do anything they don’t want to in this country.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The issue at the heart of it is low Gas availability. This is a global issue, we in Europe will pay the higher prices, but that means other parts of the world face the real shortages. Cutting back on our own usage is a small help to others, but we should do it if we can. The other thing we could, and in my opinion should, be doing is creating biogas to pump into the network. Food waste, dog shit, grass cuttings, remnants form abbatoirs and food processing plants can all produce usable methane, with a by product of some CO2 that can be bottled for commercial use, there is also a shortage of CO2 in the UK due to the closure if an Ammonia plant which produced CO2 as a byproduct.
Environmentalists dont like it much though as it is not seen as green as wind or solar, but most of the waste products that can be used would rot down and release Methane and CO2 in landfill anyway.
I dont think we will see regular power outages in the UK, but other places will.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
In the VERY unlikely event this happens, could cause some issues for night workers.

For years I’ve thought that high street shops should be forced to turn off their display lights that burn 24/7. Utter waste of energy. They could start with enforcing a black out during non trading hours. But large retailers are owned by billionaires and billionaires don’t get forced to do anything they don’t want to in this country.

Not just retailers, go past Canary Wharf at night, I'm sure they can't all be cleaners.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You can make your own candles with a glass jar half full of water and half full of cooking oil, a cork as flotation device, and some string pushed through the cork for a wick that sits in the oil.

It won't give out much light, but it smokes like an old battleship and stinks the place out.

Kept us going during the three day week in 1974.

Some people don't know their born........ mod-cons........ pah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here