Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Winter power cuts.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Will be like going back to he 70's - candle sales will rise as will torch sales too.
Duracell shares to sky-rocket
Oooh, like back in the good old days when the miners started striking causing a national coal shortage.

Different problem(s) now ....

Toast done against the bars of a gas fire on a fork mmmmmmm,oh we don't have one now .

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
6.55 million deaths so far.

Energy security was my most important arguments against brexit and I stand by it.

Wouldn't that make you pro-brexit? As EU is more into the quantity reducing green policies which leads to the state they are in now vis us?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
The issue at the heart of it is low Gas availability. This is a global issue, we in Europe will pay the higher prices, but that means other parts of the world face the real shortages. Cutting back on our own usage is a small help to others, but we should do it if we can. The other thing we could, and in my opinion should, be doing is creating biogas to pump into the network. Food waste, dog shit, grass cuttings, remnants form abbatoirs and food processing plants can all produce usable methane, with a by product of some CO2 that can be bottled for commercial use, there is also a shortage of CO2 in the UK due to the closure if an Ammonia plant which produced CO2 as a byproduct.
Environmentalists dont like it much though as it is not seen as green as wind or solar, but most of the waste products that can be used would rot down and release Methane and CO2 in landfill anyway.
I dont think we will see regular power outages in the UK, but other places will.

I worked on a consultancy basis for a bio gas energy company about 8 years ago. The issue is you need to scale up how food and green waste is collected and sent to regional plants. It is a feasible way forward and the supermarkets were keen investors with the amount of food waste they have to deal with ( Poor Summer weather = more unplanned BBQ waste as an example), but our planning system puts so many hurdles in place. What was interesting was at the time, Germany was cited as the leader in Europe when it came to bio gas plants, but it actually seems to be the most at risk country at the moment exposed to high gas prices. I think a combination of wind, solar and nuclear (sorry Greens) will be the way forward.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I worked on a consultancy basis for a bio gas energy company about 8 years ago. The issue is you need to scale up how food and green waste is collected and sent to regional plants. It is a feasible way forward and the supermarkets were keen investors with the amount of food waste they have to deal with ( Poor Summer weather = more unplanned BBQ waste as an example), but our planning system puts so many hurdles in place. What was interesting was at the time, Germany was cited as the leader in Europe when it came to bio gas plants, but it actually seems to be the most at risk country at the moment exposed to high gas prices. I think a combination of wind, solar and nuclear (sorry Greens) will be the way forward.

Yes, agree re planning, but would be easier to sell to the public as a vital facility than Fracking which seems to be rearing its head again.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
BBC radio 5 talking about the difficulties ppl on various life support equipment at home face. Im not sure 3 hours of daily fridge freezers with power loss will do the appliance or the food inside any good. What i havent hurd is talk about 'giving in' 'easing off'etc Russian in order to keep supplies flowing. Wasnt the outcome we face fairly obvious? Did we go to battle knowing that? How long can hospitals cope on generators?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
BBC radio 5 talking about the difficulties ppl on various life support equipment at home face. Im not sure 3 hours of daily fridge freezers with power loss will do the appliance or the food inside any good. What i havent hurd is talk about 'giving in' 'easing off'etc Russian in order to keep supplies flowing. Wasnt the outcome we face fairly obvious? Did we go to battle knowing that? How long can hospitals cope on generators?

Fridge freezers are fine for 24 hours if you keep the door closed.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Hospital generators will run for as long as you keep topping them up with diesel.
Per common IT practice, there will be multiple generators at each site so if 1 or 2 fail the power stays on. aka redundancy / resilience

As for easing off to keep Russian gas flowing - recent news says that both Nord 1 and Nord 2 now have major leaks due to explosions - so even if anyone wanted to go soft on economic sanctions, this is currently not an option.

"Did we go in to battle knowing that"? I assume you're referring to the economic sanctions "battle" here? Yes, we knew full well the likely impact of such a decision - silly question if you ask me.

Last edited:

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
It's all by design - to get you all on smart electric grid / smart city grid / web3.0.......wait till your CBDC smart contract measures what meat / transport / energy usage you do. This isn't theory - it's already designed (energy web / chainlink / quant network).

"blame russia" though....lol.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Hospital generators will run for as long as you keep topping them up with diesel.
Per common IT practice, there will be multiple generators at each site so if 1 or 2 fail the power stays on. aka redundancy / resilience

As for easing off to keep Russian gas flowing - recent news says that both Nord 1 and Nord 2 now have major leaks due to explosions - so even if anyone wanted to go soft on economic sanctions, this is currently not an option.

"Did we go in to battle knowing that"? I assume you're referring to the economic sanctions "battle" here? Yes, we knew full well the likely impact of such a decision - silly question if you ask me.
I dont think everyone knew that.

If you have a combi boiler you are stuffed. I knew there was a reason for keeping the tank and an airing cupboard when installing a new boiler.

I can see the reaction now as we draw closer to winter. Panic buying candles, calor gas bottles in short supply and battery prices rocket.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
More media scaremongering, almost Orwellian proportions.

Not sure how newspaper reporting a published risk is "Orwellian", but I digress.

Any power cut (even 10 minutes) can be incredibly dangerous to the vulnerable. They've impacted my family in an adverse manner twice this year.

Fridge freezers is one thing, but heating and medical equipment is another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here