Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winston Churchill

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Neither was I, it's not difficult , you stated there was ' very little America or our little battered Island' could do about Stalin at the end of the war, I said that the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki may disagree with that premise, the clue is in the fvcking bombs that America posessed and had already dropped on the said cities.

According to history 'we' did look at the options around Russia, and seeing their war machine was finally up to full speed, it was fairly obvious they'd give us a good kicking.
Yes we could have nuked half the planet back into the stone age eventually.
But i think you're missing something here - we'd have to do that to avoid the 'cold war', so we'd have a terrible 'hot' war killing millions of innocents nuking russia left right and centre (whilst their army was in europe) to avoid a war that never happened.

I'm not saying you don't have a point, there was perhaps more leverage to have been used, but perhaps that leverage was already used, and hence we're not all speaking Russian now?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
According to history 'we' did look at the options around Russia, and seeing their war machine was finally up to full speed, it was fairly obvious they'd give us a good kicking.
Yes we could have nuked half the planet back into the stone age eventuanlly.
But i think you're missing something here - we'd have to do that to avoid the 'cold war', so we'd have a terrible 'hot' war killing millions of innocents nuking russia left right and centre (whilst their army was in europe) to avoid a war that never happened.

I'm not saying you don't have a point, there was perhaps more leverage to have been used, but perhaps that leverage was already used, and hence we're not all speaking Russian now?
it's not obvious at all, they still relied on us for a lot of supplies , ever heard of the Russian convoys ? And it's not like we didn't have a war machine ourselves, the soviet army of the time, and subsequently through to the present day to be fair , has always been primitive and lacking in technical sophistication equipment wise, they've relied on numerical superiority and they still didn't have an easy victory against a German army fighting on two fronts , who were largely demoralised and suffering from poor logistics.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
A nice story about Churchill! - During the war, my mother worked at Orpington station and Churchill often changed trains there on his way to Chartwell. One day he said "you're looking very happy today dear." To which my mum replied "Yes, my brother is coming home on leave this evening." Churchill disappeared and returned a few minutes later with a bottle of champagne and one of his large cigars. "Tell him to enjoy these" he said.
If only my mum had kept these and given them to me - would be worth thousands!

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
it's not obvious at all, they still relied on us for a lot of supplies , ever heard of the Russian convoys ? And it's not like we didn't have a war machine ourselves, the soviet army of the time, and subsequently through to the present day to be fair , has always been primitive and lacking in technical sophistication equipment wise, they've relied on numerical superiority and they still didn't have an easy victory against a German army fighting on two fronts , who were largely demoralised and suffering from poor logistics.

I have heard of lend lease and the convoys.
I still think it was pretty obvious they'd give us a kicking. All they'd have to do is wait for the americans to go back home. There are reasons that it started from a stalemate position, the facts of history show us this. The atomic bombs were the ace in the hole that produced the stalemate. Arguing against the actual events seems odd.

i would like to point out that it's generally accepted that the second world war was won on the eastern front. Germany's army was by far superior to any individual countries, and yet the russians beat them. This from a country that only managed to fully industrialise by the end of the war.

Anyhow, i think we can agree that Churchill was the right man at the right time.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I have heard of lend lease and the convoys.
I still think it was pretty obvious they'd give us a kicking. All they'd have to do is wait for the americans to go back home. There are reasons that it started from a stalemate position, the facts of history show us this. The atomic bombs were the ace in the hole that produced the stalemate. Arguing against the actual events seems odd.

i would like to point out that it's generally accepted that the second world war was won on the eastern front. Germany's army was by far superior to any individual countries, and yet the russians beat them. This from a country that only managed to fully industrialise by the end of the war.

Anyhow, i think we can agree that Churchill was the right man at the right time.
by 'us' I meant the Americans as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here